The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

vjbelle

Frame averaging does not work at all...... at least for me on a Tech camera. Exposure adjustment is limited to iso ONLY. A complete disappointment.

I'm reverting back.

Victor

Christopher

can't be happening again... What is the current version? Why is the pdf labeled September..... ? is 6.00.52.fwp the new one? Documentation is once again like ****

vjbelle

FWIW the file I downloaded from PhaseOne appears to be identical to the original firmware. What is going on???

Victor

Mexecutioner

FWIW the file I downloaded from PhaseOne appears to be identical to the original firmware. What is going on???

Victor
The one on the Phase One website is the same as the old one, they haven't updated it.

The one posted by DT is newer (at least the version number is) but comes with no documentation, just the 6.01.1.fwp file.

Here's the link if anybody is feeling lucky this lovely Monday:

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/dwnld/CameraSystem6.01.1.fwp

rsinclair

Who's gonna be the brave one to go first???
AFA and Copal work on my Arcas. W/ bugged FW (last version) Copal worked, but AFA did not - it does now.

In LV w/ hard button press, only available exposure adjustment remains ISO. While Aperture values are only for meta, both it and Shutter inputs are still only on Main screen.

vjbelle

With the latest firmware update 6.01.1 exposure adjustment on a Tech camera only is available with ISO - no shutter speed!!

Phase has to know that the Tech camera community is a major contributor to their hardware sales and why they continue to put us on the back seat in favor of promoting their latest hardware endeavors is beyond me. Seems to me that a lot less effort would have been needed to make this work properly with a tech camera vs. the new XT which for sure needs lots more coding.

Once again I am completely frustrated and disappointed.

FA does work but the time delay is missing in the LCD display with only the button showing.

Clumsy at best from a company that is charging mega dollars for their hardware.

Lots of users are not going to forget this obvious corporate direction away from the generic tech community vs. the Phase tech.......

Victor

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi Victor.

Do you mean shutter speed? Aperture would be via copal wouldn’t it?

Assuming you are referring to use of the hard buttons for both shutter speed and ISO?

Just wanted to double check.

Still on the beta for my back.

Paul C

vjbelle

Hi Paul..... corrected for 'shutter speed'. Yes buttons only will provide correction for ISO.

Again...... a complete disappointment:thumbdown:

Victor

Mexecutioner

I rolled the dice and did it just now, seems to work well with the XF. Will let you know if I notice something broken or any unexpected behavior.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I rolled the dice and did it just now, seems to work well with the XF. Will let you know if I notice something broken or any unexpected behavior.
good to hear. Of course the real concern for me is how well it works with my tech camera, anyone brave enough to try it please let me know.

It's good to hear that it's working allright with XF.
I am curious that if the longest exposure for frame averaging for one shut went up from 2 second to 60 minutes.

Ziya
Ziya Tacir | Photography
Ziya,

on firmware 6.00.52 the automated frame averaging tool allowed to set the shutter speed of individual frame up to 60 minutes. With the new firmware 6.01.1 it's limited to 1 minute.
While I personally think the user should have all options that are technically possible I'd say there is little practical use for AFA on longer exposures than 1 minute. In those cases I think manual frame averaging (MFA) is preferable most of the time as you have much more refined control over the individual exposures and retain the choice on which stacking algorithm to use. The only downside I see in MFA are the little gaps between frames which can cause some issues (such as gaps in light trails) under certain conditions.

-Dominique

Ztacir

Ziya,

on firmware 6.00.52 the automated frame averaging tool allowed to set the shutter speed of individual frame up to 60 minutes. With the new firmware 6.01.1 it's limited to 1 minute.
While I personally think the user should have all options that are technically possible I'd say there is little practical use for AFA on longer exposures than 1 minute. In those cases I think manual frame averaging (MFA) is preferable most of the time as you have much more refined control over the individual exposures and retain the choice on which stacking algorithm to use. The only downside I see in MFA are the little gaps between frames which can cause some issues (such as gaps in light trails) under certain conditions.

-Dominique
Thank you Dominique, 1 min is certainly enough assuming it is 16-bit as well.
I actually had a chance to experiment with AFA last week and I was very happy with the results which I will share here in coming days.
Ziya

alistairsimmons

Ziya,

-Dominique
It is limited to 1 minute when set to LS, but up to 60 minutes when set to ES.

It is limited to 1 minute when set to LS, but up to 60 minutes when set to ES.
Hi Al,

thanks for the info. However, when I checked the individual exposure time range in the AFA tool with firmware 6.01.1 I had the XF set to ES. After reading your post I tried several settings such as switching to LS and back to ES or dialing in longer than 1 minute shutter speeds before entering the AFA tool. But in the AFA tool it was reset to 1 minute and I wasn't able to select anything longer than 1 minute. Can you please confirm that you can select longer shutter speeds for individual frames in the AFA tool in firmware 6.01.1 on the XF? Can any other users confirm that this is possible?

Why should there be a difference whether LS or ES is selected? AFA uses ES only. If there is a difference then I guess it's a bug.

-Dominique

alistairsimmons

Hi Al,

thanks for the info. However, when I checked the individual exposure time range in the AFA tool with firmware 6.01.1 I had the XF set to ES. After reading your post I tried several settings such as switching to LS and back to ES or dialing in longer than 1 minute shutter speeds before entering the AFA tool. But in the AFA tool it was reset to 1 minute and I wasn't able to select anything longer than 1 minute. Can you please confirm that you can select longer shutter speeds for individual frames in the AFA tool in firmware 6.01.1 on the XF? Can any other users confirm that this is possible?

Why should there be a difference whether LS or ES is selected? AFA uses ES only. If there is a difference then I guess it's a bug.

-Dominique
All with firmware 6.01.1.

Just tested again on the XT, and there is variation whether you are set to LS or ES. With LS the shutter speed within the AFA tool is limited to 30 seconds, with the ES to 1 minute.

This seems to be the case with the XF as well - I can only select up to 1 minute within the AFA tool, and likewise it readjusts if I set for longer outside of the tool. However, I can override the limitation with the shutter speed dial on the XF, and then it (seems to) allow me to capture up to 1 hour - at least the number of frames adjusts, until you leave the tool.

Seems like a glitch, I will pass on to Phase One.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Just tested again on the XT, and the the shutter speed within the AFA tool is limited to 1 minute.

This seems to be the case with the XF as well - I can only select up to 1 minute within the AFA tool, but I can override the limitation with the shutter speed dial on the XF, and then it allows me to set up to 1 hour. Until you leave the tool, you can capture at longer that 1 minute (at least the counter continues past 1 minute, I haven't tested for an hour).

So just want to make sure, on the previous beta, you could set the AFA to a longer shutter speed? I am still on beta, and guess will stay there, if this is true.

Thanks
Paul C

Just tested again on the XT, and the the shutter speed within the AFA tool is limited to 1 minute.

This seems to be the case with the XF as well - I can only select up to 1 minute within the AFA tool, and likewise it readjusts if I set for longer outside of the tool. However, I can override the limitation with the shutter speed dial on the XF, and then it allows me to set up to 1 hour. Until you leave the tool, you can capture at longer than 1 minute (at least the counter continues passed 1 minute, I haven't tested for an hour).

Thanks for the hint, Al. I can confirm using the shutter speed dial allows to set exposure times of up to 1 hour for individual frames in the AFA tool. But the drop down menu only allows to select shutter speeds of up to 1 minute. I also guess the override is most likely a glitch not intended by Phase One.