The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Firmware for IQ, XF, and XT

alistairsimmons

Thanks for the hint, Al. I can confirm using the shutter speed dial allows to set exposure times of up to 1 hour for individual frames in the AFA tool. But the drop down menu only allows to select shutter speeds of up to 1 minute. I also guess the override is most likely a glitch not intended by Phase One.
Generally the drop down menu is limited to 1 minute, but it seems you can sometimes trick it to show up to an hour (I can't work out the pattern as to why/when)!

Last edited:

Christopher

For me it shows one hour. So that good, however, why the .... can’t I change exposure in LV with the hard buttons like on the XT... only iso the honestly one of the @@@@ things I have seen in the past.

Oh and while your add it show us the selected aperture as well!!!

Another sad Firmware update....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For me it shows one hour. So that good, however, why the .... can’t I change exposure in LV with the hard buttons like on the XT... only iso the honestly one of the @@@@ things I have seen in the past.

Oh and while your add it show us the selected aperture as well!!!

Another sad Firmware update....
As I've posted before, Phase One has committed to providing control of shutter speed on non-XT tech cameras via hard buttons in a future firmware update. That requires its own development and testing.

That's just not this firmware update; this one just fixes the bug in the previous update that affected frame averaging on non-XT tech camera (an illustration of why any given feature must be tested on each platform, and adding hard-button control on non-XT cameras is not just some switch to flip).

Christopher

For phase one it just be extremely complicated, to do super simple things like showing exposure for all users. It’s funny, because when talking to actual software guys, they are rolfing as they can’t imagine what beginner is working on that firmware. We are talking about the most basic things.... it’s embarrassing for a 50K+ products.

Steve Hendrix

Seems Alpa is late to the party or have not been informed by their "partner"

We discovered this just in the past few weeks when testing an Alpa One Shot cable, then also an FPS, and a Silex, all for different clients. And I am sure others reported this.

The synchronization timing did change in the Phase One firmware after 3.0.2 (for IQ4) and that is the issue.

Both companies are in contact and cooperation on the issue and working on the resolution.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

As I've posted before, Phase One has committed to providing control of shutter speed on non-XT tech cameras via hard buttons in a future firmware update. That requires its own development and testing.

Doug..... as one of the great contributors you are for Phase I hope by this post you have some inside knowledge that non-XT tech cameras will get control of shutter speed via hard buttons.... So the question goes begging..... Do You?

Victor

Last edited:

vjbelle

Trying to keep my glass half full I have found a positive use for the ISO 'ONLY' button exposure control. Assuming that you start with the exposure being under exposed the ISO Only button does allow you to see how much exposure increase would be necessary for a spot on exposure. I just count the number of 1/3 stops necessary for the correct histogram and then revert back to the 'camera' display to adjust accordingly [and, of course, setting the ISO back to normal]. It really works very well without having to go back and forth from camera to live view numerous time.

Just trying to stay positive.....;)

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug..... as one of the great contributors you are for Phase I hope by this post you have some inside knowledge that non-XT tech cameras will get control of shutter speed via hard buttons.... So the question goes begging..... Do You?

Victor
Correct; at least when using sensor-based ES or an X-Shutter. Obviously they can’t control the mechanical shutter speed of a copal shutter.

At least that’s the plan/intention last time I spoke to the product manager.

onasj

Can someone please confirm if the latest IQ4 firmware allows or doesn’t allow Alpa’s one shot sync cable (Mark III, 12-pin) to function properly? I’ve been waiting to upgrade to the latest firmware but need the one-shot cable to not become dysfunctional...

Thank you!

We discovered this just in the past few weeks when testing an Alpa One Shot cable, then also an FPS, and a Silex, all for different clients. And I am sure others reported this.

The synchronization timing did change in the Phase One firmware after 3.0.2 (for IQ4) and that is the issue.

Both companies are in contact and cooperation on the issue and working on the resolution.

Steve Hendrix/CI

onasj

Just bumping this up to see if any IQ4 Copal one-shot cable Alpa owners out there have tested the 6.01.1 IQ4 firmware.

Thank you for braving the waters, if you've done so already.

Can someone please confirm if the latest IQ4 firmware allows or doesn’t allow Alpa’s one shot sync cable (Mark III, 12-pin) to function properly? I’ve been waiting to upgrade to the latest firmware but need the one-shot cable to not become dysfunctional...

Thank you!

Mexecutioner

Just bumping this up to see if any IQ4 Copal one-shot cable Alpa owners out there have tested the 6.01.1 IQ4 firmware.

Thank you for braving the waters, if you've done so already.
Seems there have been no takers, you may have to bite the bullet and try it out, then revert to the version you have now if this has not been fixed.

kimyeesan

Does the firmware work properly on a tech cam using just ES? Seems like nobody is answering this question or brave enough to try out.... hahaha .

Ztacir

I took the poison pill and I am still alive.
My technical camera works just perfect with the new firmware.
I confirm the longest shutter speed for the frame average is 1Min.
Ziya

beano_z

I've been out shooting with the XF a couple times already on the new firmware and the only bug I found in my workflow is that frame averaging cannot be triggered via the Profoto transceiver remote, so even in FA mode, when you trigger the camera wirelessly, it would only fire one shot and not the frame averaged sequence.

Paul2660

Also appears that the BOB will not reliably fire FA. I had at least 65 percent failure when I used the BOB to fire. Zero failures when I used the shutter icon on the screen.

This is on a tech camera. RM3DI

Paul C

I've been out shooting with the XF a couple times already on the new firmware and the only bug I found in my workflow is that frame averaging cannot be triggered via the Profoto transceiver remote, so even in FA mode, when you trigger the camera wirelessly, it would only fire one shot and not the frame averaged sequence.
I found this to be the case with all versions of the firmware that has had FA as well when using the BOB and the few times I have tried Profoto (in other words, this doesn’t seem to be a new “feature”).