The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wake up Phase One (Please)

Jamgolf

I admit to being a Phase One fanboy and truly believe this company cares about photography. They have been developing hardware and software solutions that are squarely photographic solutions with a photographer in mind. Some of these solutions may or may not please us or fit everyone's needs or wants or expectations but I always admire Phase One for their investment and leadership in such photographic pursuits.

But I honestly think Phase One brand at the moment is burning goodwill at an alarming rate. The number of long-time Phase One owners that have so vocally expressed frustration over the past year is remarkable. I honestly hope head honchos at Phase One realize the importance of this goodwill and the rate it is dwindling.

Dear "Phase One" please wake up. Please focus on getting your flagship product right. No one will care about the XT or whatever other awesome ideas you are working on when your flagship product is not working and is frustrating its owners. IQ4-150 is the product that distinguishes you from your competition, currently. Please "focus" on it and get it right.

f8orbust

When Silverfleet sold P1, they made a great song and dance about how P1 had undergone a significant transformation from a hardware to software-centric business focus.

The (to my mind) bizarre XT, coupled with the constant 'shooting themselves in the foot' IQ4 firmware updates, does leave me wondering if their heart really is in the prosumer hardware business anymore.

Paul2660

Actually no reason to laugh.

Phase One, for sure has some issues in regression testing. But this firmware was in dealer beta for over 2 weeks, and this issue with FA, was not caught, which surprises me since both of the US dealers I have worked with are pretty through in their testing.

The actual FA feature is for me most the most impressive thing I have seen from Phase One since the 1 hour exposures on the P45+. The image quality is beyond anything I have seen from any digital camera. Sure you can't use it in windy conditions, but there are many times I have used it now in outdoor settings and the image depth is just outstanding.

So, for me, I am grateful to my dealer CI, for posting the addition to their blog, as I caught this latest issue in reading their update and did not go for the firmware. I hope Phase will get it fixed soon, but for now using the FA feature in 14 bit works for me.

It's a strange time for Phase One, leading technology, but for sure not seeming to give the updates the proper testing, on different platforms, i.e. non XT tech camera in this instance. However the bug also seems to effect the XF eventually.

Hope they can get it resolved soon.

Paul C

Mexecutioner

Phase One, for sure has some issues in regression testing. But this firmware was in dealer beta for over 2 weeks, and this issue with FA, was not caught, which surprises me since both of the US dealers I have worked with are pretty through in their testing.

The actual FA feature is for me most the most impressive thing I have seen from Phase One since the 1 hour exposures on the P45+. The image quality is beyond anything I have seen from any digital camera. Sure you can't use it in windy conditions, but there are many times I have used it now in outdoor settings and the image depth is just outstanding.

So, for me, I am grateful to my dealer CI, for posting the addition to their blog, as I caught this latest issue in reading their update and did not go for the firmware. I hope Phase will get it fixed soon, but for now using the FA feature in 14 bit works for me.

It's a strange time for Phase One, leading technology, but for sure not seeming to give the updates the proper testing, on different platforms, i.e. non XT tech camera in this instance. However the bug also seems to effect the XF eventually.

Paul C

When I had a demo of the XT on 09/13 the back had v6 beta on it (obviously) and we did several FA tests and it worked perfectly every single time. My dealer sent me the 16bit FA IIQ files files for me to examine afterwards. I wonder what happened in the last 2 weeks that caused things to go south?

trond

Paul C
Dear Paul,

The beta released two weeks ago was 6.00.44.

I am still running this using my Cambo WRS1250, and the FW does not have any issues with FA, or otherwise.

So something went haywire in the final stages of the official release.

Best regards

Trond

dchew

I too had the beta firmware 6.00.44 for a few weeks, but couldn't remember if I ever tried frame averaging when that was installed. I just reinstalled that version and it does not crash in frame averaging. Seems to work fine. If someone wants me to test some specific setting or use case I can do that.

Dave

drunkenspyder

Paul C
Well stated Paul. All of it. And I appreciate the sentiment of this thread. I work as part of an ad hoc team spread all over the world, and we routinely Skype to share screens and work on images together. The group includes Nikon, Sony, Hasselblad and Fuji GFX users, and these guys are good, much better artists than me. I also shoot with the X1D, a Leica Q2, and the Nikon Z7. When we work on Phase images, it's amazing how often the phrase "f*ck me" is uttered in amazement at the "image depth." Nothing else gets even close.

None of that excuses Phase's—as Jamgolf put it—"burning goodwill at an alarming rate."

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I too had the beta firmware 6.00.44 for a few weeks, but couldn't remember if I ever tried frame averaging when that was installed. I just reinstalled that version and it does not crash in frame averaging. Seems to work fine. If someone wants me to test some specific setting or use case I can do that.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Did you try the firmware 6.00.52? I didn't see the beta one on the archive list. I've had issues of the frame averaging on both XF and Tech Cam with the new firmware. It crashed on me during the FA (DB froze but camera will go on forever...).

Thanks,
Pramote

dchew

Hi Dave,

Did you try the firmware 6.00.52? I didn't see the beta one on the archive list. I've had issues of the frame averaging on both XF and Tech Cam with the new firmware. It crashed on me during the FA (DB froze but camera will go on forever...).

Thanks,
Pramote
I installed .52 but before I had a chance to try frame averaging I saw the hazard warning. Instead of trying something that would probably crash, I went back to the beta I had (which was not public).

Dave

MrSmith

No response from the dealers/reps? They jump in soon enough when there’s a sale to be made?

What strikes me about P1 is they sell high end professional equipment that a lot of businesses rely on to bring the £$€ in every day. If a company like Arri (insert other high end pro imaging brand) crippled their product businesses/operators/productions would soon look elsewhere for reliability, consistency and quality.

The price Phase charge they should be at Alexa/Amira level, they fall way short..

Steve Hendrix

No response from the dealers/reps? They jump in soon enough when there’s a sale to be made?

What strikes me about P1 is they sell high end professional equipment that a lot of businesses rely on to bring the £$€ in every day. If a company like Arri (insert other high end pro imaging brand) crippled their product businesses/operators/productions would soon look elsewhere for reliability, consistency and quality.

The price Phase charge they should be at Alexa/Amira level, they fall way short..

I'm not sure I understand why you are questioning responses from dealers, and that you seem to imply we are hiding from the controversy. And that we only contribute to create sales hype. I can only speak for myself, but based on my track record, that's an insulting comment. I immediately liked Jamal's post, and have you not been reading my posts on the other thread regarding this topic?

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/66993-phase-one-xt-camera-revelations-considerations-2.html

I think there is plenty of accurate saturation of this topic from the users, and that contributions from me above and beyond what I have already written are superfluous.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I installed .52 but before I had a chance to try frame averaging I saw the hazard warning. Instead of trying something that would probably crash, I went back to the beta I had (which was not public).

Dave
Thank you very much Dave! Pramote

Pemihan

I admit to being a Phase One fanboy and truly believe this company cares about photography. They have been developing hardware and software solutions that are squarely photographic solutions with a photographer in mind. Some of these solutions may or may not please us or fit everyone's needs or wants or expectations but I always admire Phase One for their investment and leadership in such photographic pursuits.

But I honestly think Phase One brand at the moment is burning goodwill at an alarming rate. The number of long-time Phase One owners that have so vocally expressed frustration over the past year is remarkable. I honestly hope head honchos at Phase One realize the importance of this goodwill and the rate it is dwindling.

Dear "Phase One" please wake up. Please focus on getting your flagship product right. No one will care about the XT or whatever other awesome ideas you are working on when your flagship product is not working and is frustrating its owners. IQ4-150 is the product that distinguishes you from your competition, currently. Please "focus" on it and get it right.
Amen II

Mexecutioner

real class Doug.

why are you even still hanging out here? I certainly don’t waste time on forums about cameras I have no interest in ...
He most likely misses a far superior imaging system than his Nikon SLR and is probably upset the can’t afford it any longer. I guess these types of negative posts make him feel good and validate his situation, who knows?

Pemihan

When Silverfleet sold P1, they made a great song and dance about how P1 had undergone a significant transformation from a hardware to software-centric business focus.

The (to my mind) bizarre XT, coupled with the constant 'shooting themselves in the foot' IQ4 firmware updates, does leave me wondering if their heart really is in the prosumer hardware business anymore.

"Big Money" talks! Their (Silverfleet / Axcel Capital) heart is where the big money are.

I used to live about a mile from their HQ and have been there several times. Back in the days when I got my IQ160 I got to test a number of backs in order to pick the one best for my tech cam and I have often spoken both in person and by phone to some of the guys there and can attest to their commitment to photography so I'm very sorry to see this happen with the company. As Jawad write they are burning goodwill at an alarming rate, both by the way everything about the IQ4 has been handled and not least by leaving the IQ3 in the cold. I for one am seriously considering if IQ3 is the end of the line for me!

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I posted clear and unambiguous frustration at yet another firmware bug here yesterday and today: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ks/67108-new-phase-one-firmware-iq-xf-xt.html

I’ve posted here for more than a decade and never shied from sharing when I think Phase One has screwed up, both here and directly with Phase One. They do a ton right, which makes the current streak of firmware release screw ups all the more frustrating.

It only takes a little bit of mud on a pizza to spoil the whole thing.

BFD

"Big Money" talks! Their (Silverfleet / Axcel Capital) heart is where the big money are.

I used to live about a mile from their HQ and have been there several times. Back in the days when I got my IQ160 I got to test a number of backs in order to pick the one best for my tech cam and I have often spoken both in person and by phone to some of the guys there and can attest to their commitment to photography so I'm very sorry to see this happen with the company. As Jawad write they are burning goodwill at an alarming rate, both by the way everything about the IQ4 has been handled and not least by leaving the IQ3 in the cold. I for one am seriously considering if IQ3 is the end of the line for me!
Yes, but what are our options? P1 is really the only option. Hasselblad is really the only other option and it's a distant 2nd option. We'll all bitch and rant and then the IQ5 will come out and we'll have to upgrade to that. Rinse and repeat.