The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carry on bag for tech camera

Shashin

Here is an ICU example. The pack is not a photo backpack...
+1 for not using a photo backpack. Personally, I find real backpack much more comfortable, particularly for long outings. They just handle the weight better, but you also have to know how to wear them--all those straps do have a function and work so much better when adjusted properly.

The other thing is the bag is lighter. Photo backpacks are heavy, which is not a problem when empty, but it does start adding up. For example, the Think Tank First Light 40 is twice the weight of my Osprey Farpoint 40 that has an internal frame. With the Think Tank, you are starting with over 6lb.

vjbelle

A lot of this is personal preference. I'm a fairly small person and found the F-Stop Ajna uncomfortable. Zippers would dig into my back and the fact that the weight rested on my tailbone was uncomfortable. My ThinkTank sits higher on my back and is much more comfortable and weighs only 3.6 lbs. It has the same depth as the F-Stop and will accommodate an Alpa STC vertically instead of flat. Even though I don't use my STC I did find that feature very welcome..... just in case.

Horses for Courses........

Victor

Pelorus

I agree about photo back packs. The Ajna did me in - too big, too heavy, too hard to get into...The challenge in moving to a non-photo backpack is that the vast majority are top entry only. That doesn't work for me, which is why the Ortlieb Atrack got a gig. I really like the single zip, simple opening. I like the Ortlieb build quality and the real waterproof nature of it, instead of the pretend you get in most photo back packs. The 25 litre also rides really well. There's a nice review here: https://oxbowphoto.com/2019/09/10/o...-camera-backpack-thats-not-a-camera-backpack/ That focuses on the 35 litre.

It's ended up over time that my travel bags are all Ortlieb and I couldn't be happier. This is my go to for any trip up to a month or so: I use the 60 litre yellow - holds all my clothes, shoes, coats, tripod during the flight. You can't lose it in a crowd, it's incredibly tough, it doesn't tip over when you are wheeling it - it's got a wide track and decent wheels. If it rains, who cares...it's 100% waterproof. A small digression sorry.:D

+1 for not using a photo backpack. Personally, I find real backpack much more comfortable, particularly for long outings. They just handle the weight better, but you also have to know how to wear them--all those straps do have a function and work so much better when adjusted properly.

The other thing is the bag is lighter. Photo backpacks are heavy, which is not a problem when empty, but it does start adding up. For example, the Think Tank First Light 40 is twice the weight of my Osprey Farpoint 40 that has an internal frame. With the Think Tank, you are starting with over 6lb.

I ran into this same issue on a recent trip to Scotland when my BA flight was canceled and I had to re-book with multiple legs on Loganair. My preferred travel / working bag is my F-Stop Guru UL. So at the Manchester airport I just quickly removed the medium sloop ICU and flattened the pack and stored it my, normally, carry-on roller bag. It was a simple matter on Loganair to gate check that bag and carry-on the ICU. Which fit no problem in the tiny Saab 340.

For this trip I took my Hasselblad 501cm, SWC/M, 60mm CF, 100m CF & 180mm CF. I wrapped and packed my filters and a second A12 into my roller bag. All in all it worked fine. Already planning a longer trip next year and plan using a similar, but more refined strategy.

jng

Like Bill, I also use an f-stop Guru with a medium slope ICU, in which I can easily fit my Cambo WRS1250 w/IQ3100 mounted on it, three lenses (40HR, 70HR, and Hass/Zeiss 100/3.5 mounted on the Cambo adapter), plus 4 extra batteries, a bunch of 67mm filters, LCC card and a blower. There's also space to slip a small laptop between the ICU and rear panel. A Wine Country Camera filter holder and filters sit on top of the ICU in the main compartment. Definitely not as space-efficient as Dave Chew's kit but I've come to accept my limitations.

I recently picked up a Loka UL, into which I can fit a small ICU on top of the medium slope to hold a few extra lenses. If I'm going on a trip where overhead bin space is marginal, I just pack the medium slope + filters in the Guru. Worst case scenario, I can just pull out the ICU and stuff the Guru in checked luggage. I fly enough (i.e., too much) that I'm rarely if ever hassled by gate agents about my bags, but it's good to be prepared.

On a recent trip involving a flight on a CRJ-200 I took along just my X1D w/45 and 90mm lenses, which I carried in a small ICU. There was enough extra room in the Guru for me to stuff all kinds of odds and ends that I usually carry in my briefcase, including a 15" laptop in a padded sleeve. My RRS 2-series tripod and L-60 mini-cube fit neatly in my 22" rollaboard (with cube detached from the sticks according to the Graham Welland method). With all the extra stuff the Guru was a tight fit in the overhead bin (the 200's are notorious for their tiny bins) but there was plenty of space under the seat in front of me so I didn't need to force the situation. The rollaboard was gate-checked and picked up on the tarmac.

John

ShaunQ

Great post Eric,

I use an Alpa STC, with stitch/tripod mounts on the bottom and one side and a wooden grip on the other side, together with a Credo 50 and an Apo Helvetar 48. That all goes into an F-Stop Pro Small ICU!! That in turn goes into an Ortlieb Atrack - the 25 litre one, with room to spare for chargers, cables, jacket, book etc. The Atrack is 100% waterproof to IP67, it has a single back opening zip and is infinitely easier to use than the F-Stop Ajna it has replaced. And as I also just found out a GFX 50R and the two zooms also goes in a small pro ICU.

Fits within a strict interpretation of the carry on sizes and rules.

When you get to your destination the Atrack has a great attachment system (accessory) which attaches a tripod or whatever.
Hey Pelorus thanks for the info here, really like the look of the Ortlieb Atrack series of packs, but having a hard time deciding between the 25&35L versions. I’d rather go for the 25 if I could as it will only get used for short hikes off the road and for taking on my boat.

Any chance you could share a photo similar to what Dave posted above to show how the fstop icu fits in the bag and what if any space is left above the icu inside the bag. Cheers.

Pelorus

So this is just a quick happy snap. The ICU takes just over half the vertical distance. Its external dimensions are:

External Dimensions (cm): 17.8 Depth x 29.2 Width x 20.3 Height

The 25 litre Atrack Dimensions are: 56cm long, 25 deep and 26 wide (external I think).

So the ICU height measurement is what fits to the width measurement, width fits to the length measurement and the two depths match,

I can easily fit a parka, packs with cords, chargers, batteries etc "above" the ICU.

Just to note the bottom end of the zip is cinched down, the top end is free.

Hey Pelorus thanks for the info here, really like the look of the Ortlieb Atrack series of packs, but having a hard time deciding between the 25&35L versions. I’d rather go for the 25 if I could as it will only get used for short hikes off the road and for taking on my boat.

Any chance you could share a photo similar to what Dave posted above to show how the fstop icu fits in the bag and what if any space is left above the icu inside the bag. Cheers.

dchew

what is the bag?
Mammut Trion Pro, 50L. I like it because it is lighter than the photo bags but has more versatility and is more comfortable, for me anyway. The hip belt is mounted to the back panel, which I like better. F-stop hip belts are two-piece that straddle the panel so you can open it all the way. Because of that, I never felt the hip belt load shifters did much, at least on the Loka. This one has quick disconnects on the load shifter straps so you can still open the panel all the way if you need to (like in the pic). There is also more room behind the ICU vs the f-stop bags I’ve had.

I also have the 35L version; bought that first then this one when it went on sale because the model was changing. The two versions weigh almost the same, but this 50L version fits me better and the room is nice to have in the winter.

They don’t make the exact model anymore, but they have a few that are very similar. Here is the main page: Mammut Mountaineering Packs
Only a few of those open via the back panel.

I think this is the new one: Trion 50

Looks like a slightly improved version with the same features.

Dave

Last edited:

ShaunQ

So the ICU height measurement is what fits to the width measurement, width fits to the length measurement and the two depths match
So which Fstop ICU are you using? Sure I read somewhere above but cant find now, maybe that was in the review you linked, but that is the 35.

Thanks for posting a pic, exactly what I was after to carry XF/IQ and a bit of random other gear like water/first aid which is a good thing to have anywhere in OZ :)

Pelorus

It's the Small Pro which is the largest that will fit in the 25 litre bag. You'd have to check whether a larger ICU will fit in one of the larger bags - 35 or 45 litres. By my calculation the 25 litre is the largest bag that strictly "legal" for cabin baggage.

So which Fstop ICU are you using? Sure I read somewhere above but cant find now, maybe that was in the review you linked, but that is the 35.

Thanks for posting a pic, exactly what I was after to carry XF/IQ and a bit of random other gear like water/first aid which is a good thing to have anywhere in OZ :)

AndyPtak

My trouble isn't the bag and I've owned many of them. It's the amount of stuff I put in them that gets me into trouble at the gate. Learn to smile, be polite and say, "Oh really? I didn't know." Of course, it doesn't help with the fascists! Good luck guys as we all try our hand at beating this system.

RLB

I'm very happy with the NYA-EVO backpack with their ICU inserts (although I have mixed some FStop ICu's in). Easily the best designed and built backpack I've ever owned.

The backpack is extremely well made, reasonably prices and has many thoughtful design features. It's also one of the most comfortable
backpacks I've ever used as it was designed more like a high quality hikers backpack not a "photo" backpack. I chose the Fjord 36 which is a nice size.
They also have a larger Fjord 60. With the Arca Factum, IQ4, 5 R mounted lenses and accessories I'm still at only 18lbs, a few more lbs for a carbon tripod with the Arca L60 head.
Coming from a 40+ lb pack of gear it feels like a feather.

https://www.nya-evo.com/pages/nya-evo-x-phaseone

Robert B

Geoff

Oddly, I find the F-stop Loka to be most comfortable. Just don't put too much in it, cinch it up, and it goes most everywhere.

dchew

Oddly, I find the F-stop Loka to be most comfortable. Just don't put too much in it, cinch it up, and it goes most everywhere.
Geoff,
That is a good point. Bags these days are like the cameras they hold: so many are wonderful. I criticized some minor points about the Loka above, but only after wearing it out over 8-9 years of use, abuse and love.
:loco:

Dave

algrove

I recently sold almost all of my f-stop gear in favor of the Mindshift Backlight 26L.
It has an f-stop like opening so if on hips you can swivel it around for access to gear and the big improvement is the adjustable elastic neck strap to keep bag lid open when changing lenses or whatever thereby leaving both hands free for gear work. Shoulder straps are very comfortable with all gear inside.

-It sports large water bottle pockets each side.
-Shoulder straps fold out of way when not needed.
-holds STC+IQ4150 vertically with 40 attached and easily holds 5 lenses from 40 to 210 with tilt adapters. Also holds large soft Alpa 40 and 70mm lens hoods plus hoods for 90, 150 and large 210 72mm metal hood.
-Room for 10 extra batteries and hoodman loupe plus XQD/SD card holder.
-Outer pocket holds my rain gear and also comes with rain over.
-well thought out tripod holder that folds away when not in use.
-Waist straps fold well away for flights around outside.
-Also holds Bose noise cancelling ear buds in container and charger for laptop.
-Another zippered pocket holds 15" laptop and iPad.

Also have 36L for non-flight use, but I believe most carriers in US will say nothing about the 36L size.

darr

I recently sold almost all of my f-stop gear in favor of the Mindshift Backlight 26L.
It has an f-stop like opening so if on hips you can swivel it around for access to gear and the big improvement is the adjustable elastic neck strap to keep bag lid open when changing lenses or whatever thereby leaving both hands free for gear work. Shoulder straps are very comfortable with all gear inside.

-It sports large water bottle pockets each side.
-Shoulder straps fold out of way when not needed.
-holds STC+IQ4150 vertically with 40 attached and easily holds 5 lenses from 40 to 210 with tilt adapters. Also holds large soft Alpa 40 and 70mm lens hoods plus hoods for 90, 150 and large 210 72mm metal hood.
-Room for 10 extra batteries and hoodman loupe plus XQD/SD card holder.
-Outer pocket holds my rain gear and also comes with rain over.
-well thought out tripod holder that folds away when not in use.
-Waist straps fold well away for flights around outside.
-Also holds Bose noise cancelling ear buds in container and charger for laptop.
-Another zippered pocket holds 15" laptop and iPad.

Also have 36L for non-flight use, but I believe most carriers in US will say nothing about the 36L size.
I recently purchased the Mindshift Backlight 26L and find it fits my gear for a typical MF digital or film shoot well. It is comfortable with the majority of the weight resting on my waist/hip area.
I purchased it mainly for the rear opening as this is my first bag that does so, and I am currently shooting out in the landscape.

For the female photographers reading this, you need to give this bag a look. I am 5'2" and built like a woman. ;) I have had problems with backpack straps in the front of my chest not working with the shape of my body. The best backpack I have was designed for the woman's physique with the chest straps being curved. Unfortunately they no longer make this backpack and it was not designed specifically for photography use. It was the Peralta by Waterfield and I used it to carry books and stuff when I taught full time. When I compare backpack comfort, I do have something specific I am looking for and something to compare it too.

I currently have my 26L packed for a film shoot tomorrow and snapped a few pics of it sitting on the studio floor. If this was a digital shoot, I would replace the 'red case' with a similar case holding my digital back and accessories. I shoot with multiple camera systems and stow my gear in small cases that fit into my backpacks and roller cases. I looked at possibly purchasing a medium ICU for it, but this particular backpack is not wide enough, and I guess that is better for me in the long run as there is less space for me to fill up. IMO, this is a very good, comfortable and smaller backpack that works well as my day pack for shooting and walking.

Kind regards,
Darr

Pemihan

Geoff,
That is a good point. Bags these days are like the cameras they hold: so many are wonderful. I criticized some minor points about the Loka above, but only after wearing it out over 8-9 years of use, abuse and love.
:loco:

Dave
Dave, does the Loka have the same back opening, that kinda makes it hard to get things out, if stored closest to the sides of the ICU?
That is one of my main gripes about my Satori F-Stop bag.

Peter

dchew

Dave, does the Loka have the same back opening, that kinda makes it hard to get things out, if stored closest to the sides of the ICU?

Peter
Hi Peter,
Yes, the F-Stop Loka is the same way. They all have aluminum rails that run along the outside of the zippers, making it tough to negotiate stuff in and out. The Mammut bag I use, pictured above, is more flexible when laid down, which makes it a little easier to remove stuff at along the edges.

With the small-Pro ICU, you can rotate it in the pack. Not as space efficient but it works if you don’t have much to carry. When rotated that way, the pack does tend to collapse when you open the backpanel.

Dave

vjbelle

Peter
That was also one of my gripes. I put the large pro ICU in the Ajna and it was very difficult to get lenses in and out near the edges of the bag.

Victor