The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smoky Mountains 2019 - Fall Watch

dave.gt

Why not?:grin:

Some of us would like to keep an eye on the Fall color season for many reasons. Watching television, multiple websites and making phone calls to those we know in the area are time-consuming. So, I thought a seasonal thread for this Fall would allow for all of us an opportunity to post what we know about the rapidly approaching leaf peeping season.

Here is what I know before sunrise on September 30th:

From NPS Webcam 9/29/19 5:30pm:

I will post a link for all to use in a later post on this thread.

dave.gt

You know, I wish I had a job. Any paid employment. But my dream would be to have a job in the proximity of these mountains where I could live in a tiny cottage to both admire the wonder of the nature and introduce others to the beauty in life that is so often taken for granted. How amazing that would be, I cannot imagine. But I will settle for being a sentinel.

I have a photographer friend who lives near the Foothills Parkway, so I will be checking in with him, and I hope if anyone lives near the National Park, or travels though over the coming weeks, that they will share their observations, photos and update is on the color progress.:thumbup:

dave.gt

Monday September 30, 2019 Update:

A pleasant phone call to a local shop in Gatlinburg confirms that the area is still suffering the unseasonal heat and drought. I had called to verify that the Smoky Mountain Jelly Shop had a good inventory of our annual favorite: the most sublime Cherry Jelly! We buy it by the case!:thumbup:

You do not have to take my word for it, the owner told me several years ago that he has to make delivery of 100+ cases of jelly to Atlanta every year to a prominent law firm that gives the Jelly to clients for Christmas gifts.:grin:

I ordered mine but we will pick it up in person in a few weeks!:)

After ordering we discussed the probability of a late peak color season and the consensus is that peak will be in the first week of November.:toocool:

We will be there, too!

dave.gt

And here is an email excerpt from a good friend, a lifelong resident near the National Park and a professional photographer:

"I’m guessing November is your best bet. Usually it’s around my birthday, Nov 6th when color peaks.

We had a very wet spring but the last couple of months have been dry but that often stresses the trees and makes for beautiful colors."

:thumbs:

dave.gt

Ick!!!!:mad:

98°F high in my neck of the woods today.

Wind chill corrected high temp today in Gatlinburg today is 94°F. But at least it is a high humidity heat.:ROTFL:

Two weeks from now, Gatlinburg should be in the mid-70s for highs and low 50s for low temps at night.

MY seat of the pants "biker prediction" is the peak will be the first week of November IF the temps do indeed start falling dramatically this weekend.:)

dave.gt

The countdown continues, so slowly...

First Color (+2 days after my first leaf image):

dave.gt

The lonely job of a sentinel... still hoping others who live near the Great Smoky Mountains will post here with their "on-the-ground" observations.

Still, though, it is both a slow process for the mountains to change from the lush, verdant green forest to the explosion of color that we await; and yet, the time slipslides away in the blink of an eye, never to return the same again. We must be watchful and ready! For the slow times, a good read is always good. Especially if we learn something.

For your viewing and reading pleasure, the link below is a door to the Mystery of George Masa, the "Ansel Adams of the East Coast":

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/15488/94686505

Little has been known about George but over the past two decades, PBS, private production companies and hiking clubs have contributed to the public awareness of this large format pioneering photographer. The more we discover, the greater the mystery of this man and his contribution to us. Please follow links and do a little research. You will not regret it.:)

Enjoy!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Yesterday, Saturday, the low areas are slowly showing a change from the verdant green. The Fall color peak appears to be a few weeks away.

dave.gt

Like last year, our Red Maple tree is turning early:

But we are really weeks away from Fall color overall in Atlanta.

dave.gt

October 14, report from eyes on the ground.

Yesterday, the kind lady at the checkout counter in the doctor's office responded to my question of how she enjoyed her weekend. She and her husband of eight years returned to their honeymoon retreat in Gatlinburg and her last day in the area was the day before, Sunday. Apparently she has tried to time their anniversary trips each year for a beautiful color-filled weekend and although they enjoyed their long weekend, they once again missed the Fall color, completely. The images above are now confirmed... the blue mists over a lush green forest awaits the visitor to the Great Smoky Mountains NP even at this late date. Temperatures are mild, but the cold nights are expected to begin this week.

Nature has its own time, and cares not one whit about human desire. It is also relatively slow in changing from one season to the next. But there is an exception to every rule.

Last year the peak Fall color was late but arrived and passed quickly in November. This year appears to have a similar trend. If we are fortunate to see a peak, most likely we will, November is the norm it seems these days for it to happen.

Climate change? I think so... aberration or not... we would do well to remember as the cooler weather arrives:

Today is the Day! Make the most of it, tomorrow will take care of itself.:thumbup:

dave.gt

At this very moment, the sun is rising at Newfound Gap. The temperature is 29°F and things should start to get interesting right about now.

My guess is still the first week in November for the peak. What will it look like then? Maybe I will get there by then...?

Out my back door, it is 45°F and no color except for our early bird, the lonely Red Maple tree in the front yard, which is peaking very soon and dropping leaves at a prodigious rate. Climate change ...:loco:

Last edited: