The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is the Closest DSLR Image Quality Compared to Hasselblad X1d

rollsman44

A friend of mine wants something close to the IQ of the X1D for Portraits mainly and a Carry around camera.
I was thinking Nikon D850. Any suggestions are helpful. The lenses on the X1D are the expensive issue. Thanks

Jamgolf

Leica M10/M11 with APO 50 Summicron comes to mind. Price might be a bit out of whack - but you cant fault the image quality.

DougDolde

Absolutely the D850. X1D might be a hair better but you won't notice. Best camera I have ever owned including medium format digital

Mexecutioner

Since he already has a D810 he will appreciate the little bump in resolution and the ability to use the lenses he already has.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I agree on the D850. Be aware also that, if money is an issue, the D810 is still a fantastic camera, particularly at ISO 64. When it comes to lenses, it's important to be aware of what the purpose is. Some like Sigma's Art series for their sharpness, others like Zeiss Milvus (or the classic ZF/ZF.2) for their beautiful rendering and colours. Native Nikkors are good starting points though, even the "budget" f/1.8 series. The new Tamron 35mm f/1.4 also seems to be a very safe bet.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
OK so the D850 is closest to X1D with AF Nikon Lenses? Thank you. I appreciate all suggestions
First define closest. I don’t know what quality of the X1D you are valuing, and in fact why the X1D is the “gold standard” by which you are building your comparison on. Nice camera, but lots of cameras deliver terrific results, it’s more about the person using the camera.

Second, from this statement you are reaching a conclusion and opinion based on a single reply by a person who is a d850 owner, and quite biased one at that ... and I”m not criticizing Doug for his very open bias, nothing wrong with it, we all have bias towards our choices. But how can any one who hasn’t shot shot extensively with other options (especially an X1D) such as Canon or more importantly Sony how can they offer any legitimate opinion to answer your question?

I’ll be honest, I can’t tell you what’s “closest”, and I would never make a statement implying such because I have no clue what an X1D offers. I will tell you that I can get results I’m happy with using Sony and the a7r4 is a pretty amazing piece of hardware, and the limit of my comparative expertise would be Sony, Fuji, and Phase One. If you can get opinions from those who own an X1D as well as other options, such as d850, a7r4, etc, then you might have some useful opinions.

And what really puzzles me is why you are asking for a friend. Seems your friend should be doing the research on this.

Well it's not a DSLR but...whatever.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Sony A7R4. A 60mp Sony sensor is nothing to scoff at, you can bet it'll be in the D8xx that comes next. Plus the Zony lenses will likely have that bite that the X1D lenses have. You mentioned 'carry around' and a Sony with a lens like the 55/1.8 or 35/2.8 is VERY comfy to carry around. Like classic film SLR small.

The D850 is a near perfect work camera, but I would not use it outside the confines of work. It's kind of a honker for travel, hikes, day trips etc.

Mexecutioner

If he wants something more “carry friendly” the A7R4 would certainly fit the bill. Much higher resolution than his current 810 and way more than the 850 and certainly a better sensor which the new Nikon whatever will be getting at some point.

Perhaps this individual could go to a camera store or ask some questions himself. I think that would be very productive.

onasj

I also would suggest Sony's a7r3 (a great bargain now) or a7r4, even though neither is a DSLR :) While imperfect, to me they currently represent pinnacles of general digital 35 mm format excellence. The Leica M10P is a wonderful camera (also not a DSLR) but if you want a 35 mm camera that can rival the x1D in terms of image quality, I would go for the a7r3/4 over the Leica (plus the Sony bodies and lenses are roughly 1/3 the cost!)

cerett

"First define closest. I don’t know what quality of the X1D you are valuing, and in fact why the X1D is the “gold standard” by which you are building your comparison on. Nice camera, but lots of cameras deliver terrific results, it’s more about the person using the camera."

Well said. :clap:

Abstraction

A friend of mine wants something close to the IQ of the X1D for Portraits mainly and a Carry around camera.
I was thinking Nikon D850. Any suggestions are helpful. The lenses on the X1D are the expensive issue. Thanks
I have seen and compared lots of RAW files from different formats and I have come to the conclusion that the differences among the 50mp cameras are mostly academic regardless of the format. It all comes down to personal preferences and usability. If your friend is a current Nikon user, then the D850 or Z7 are the cameras to get. If he is a Canon user, then the 5Dsr will fit the bill. The Sony A7R series cameras are no slouches either. Each of these cameras will do the job and you will be hard pressed to see any differences among them.

So, my suggestion would be to pick a camera based on the lenses you have now and the usability and the work flow.

I would go with the A7r3 or the A7r4 not just for the size savings, but for the AF accuracy. The combination of tracking AF with eye detect makes getting consistent critically in focus results so much easier. IQ wise, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the high rez Sonys and the D850.

rollsman44

OK I think by now I have enough info to pass on to him. By the way he is currently using a Nikon D 810 for portraits and general use. Thank you everyone for your recommendations