The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can rollei/schneider electronic shutter be replaced with a copal?

Hi

I was wondering if a lens coming with an electronic shutter can be mounted on a traditional copal or is the lens glued/built in the shutter?

thanks

Boinger

Yes have done it myself.

What you do need is a new f-stop scale if you care to know what f-stop you are at. (only if the focal length is changing)

You can get that from skgrimes.

Digitalcameraman

Hi

I was wondering if a lens coming with an electronic shutter can be mounted on a traditional copal or is the lens glued/built in the shutter?

thanks
Not all lenses will unscrew and simply screw into a Copal Shutter. Many times the manufactures have reducing bushing to get them into a standard that Copal supply. I have ran into that when converting from Rollei to Copal, you will also seen thin rings that were used to optically align the lens in the shutter, that can vary when going in between them, more important for wide angle lenses.

Not all lenses will unscrew and simply screw into a Copal Shutter. Many times the manufactures have reducing bushing to get them into a standard that Copal supply. I have ran into that when converting from Rollei to Copal, you will also seen thin rings that were used to optically align the lens in the shutter, that can vary when going in between them, more important for wide angle lenses.
yeah i noticed those rings in my Scheinder 47mm in a regular copal 0
whereas in electornic shutter i didnt see them

probably those "shims"are meant to compensate the 0.3mm extra lenght in the rollei vs copal?
anyways after testing it it seem i was able to migrate the lens

but yes the minor problem si the scale, which i dont need it as i shoot digital and i can see the results directly on my laptop

thanks!

TheDude

A factory Rodenstock technician told me that each Digaron lens is individually mated to its Copal shutter using spacers and other adjustments.
I was quoted 700 euro (mating only, Copal shutter not included) and two weeks or so. Rodenstock may no longer have any Copal shutters in stock.

Alkibiades

Usually you can.
All copal 0 can be mount in all other shutters with size 0 and in the any way all schneider-rollei lenses can be mounter in copal 0 shutter.
This is the fact.
The other story is about getting the same optical quality with different shutters, no matter if other rollei-schneider or other copal shutter. No shutter have exactly the same size then the other, 2 different copal shutter have two different sizes and the same with rollei-schneider shutters. The small rings compensate the tolerance between the different shutters. But it does not mean than when one copal shutter need one ring that the othe one need it two. When you have the knowlege you can calibrate your lenses for best optical quality that the lens can acheave. When you cant Schneider do it for 150 euro.Also Rodenstock- but not with HR lenses!
This is different story! I was talking about it with mr Wenzel from rodenstock, these lenses are really complicated made and the shutter is a part of the optical calculation.

CAMBOUSA

I'm fairly certain the hardest part here would be actually locating a Copal-0 shutter for a reasonable price.

Steve Hendrix

A factory Rodenstock technician told me that each Digaron lens is individually mated to its Copal shutter using spacers and other adjustments.
I was quoted 700 euro (mating only, Copal shutter not included) and two weeks or so. Rodenstock may no longer have any Copal shutters in stock.

Yes, including that the rotational stopping point (where it ends up position-wise as you reach the point you can't screw it in any further) of each of the front and rear optics is unique and individually specific. You could mount the optics into a different shutter and if the lenses do not arrive at the same factory set rotational stopping paint, image quality can be negatively impacted. To what degree, I don't know but I do know that this is a thing.

Steve Hendrix/CI