The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What is your Inspiration?

dave.gt

As David Yarrow said in his TED talk, never before this generation have we had so many choices (i.e.-"spoiled" :)) with gear and opportunity. But what is your inspiration?

These days, I am finding new inspiration from literature and music.

Muir, Thoreau, Simic,countless lyricists and large format pioneers.

What is yours?:)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Re: What is your Inpiration?

Of course, it goes without saying... the last few years I have been on this forum have been the greatest inspiration ever. The folks here in this community, are always posting excellent work, so who could NOT be inspired?

Awesome!:thumbup:

Jamgolf

Re: What is your Inpiration?

"The reason I like photography is because it rewards observation and attention. An observant eye notices the infinite beauty in nature that’s in plain sight but goes unnoticed. Nature can be most beautiful in its simplicity and randomness – finding an interesting cloud formation or an interesting branch pattern among a chaotic arrangement of trees or the random patterns on sand dunes are example of things that excite and inspire me."

MrSmith

Film. (Movies) especially the work of top DOP’s and the use of colour in storytelling. The Framing and movement etc.
It’s different from stills in that the you are handholding the viewer with the narrative but stills is open to the viewers interpretation but there is a lot of visual inspiration to be taken from films.
Sometimes lighting but often stills photographers are just as talented in that area. It’s often not as refined as it’s gone in 1/24 of a second but can be absolutely spot on. They get all the best tools to work with too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The great b&w photographers of the fifties and sixties, Fan Ho and HCB in particular...

https://petapixel.com/2014/08/25/fa...-white-street-photography-of-1950s-hong-kong/

... and music... Tom Waits, Led Zeppelin, Beethoven, Hiromi...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmKQptkI6g0

... linguists...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4rtGPCsoXA

... anything and anybody who gives me the impression of dancing on a tightrope across Niagara, without really needing to concentrate, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to do.

pegelli

For me it's being out and active, enjoying nature, enjoying people and the things they do and make.

Photography makes me see more, even when I don't have a camera with me.

And inspiration also comes from looking at other people's images, famous as well as not so famous.

danlindberg

My source of inspiration has changed slightly lately. Nowadays I have less opportunities to go out and hunt compositions, so when I do, I feel privileged and get inspired of that simple fact!

GMB

To create something that I and others find beautiful and inspirational. Or, to be more realistic, to attempt achieving this.

GMB

My source of inspiration has changed slightly lately. Nowadays I have less opportunities to go out and hunt compositions, so when I do, I feel privileged and get inspired of that simple fact!
Do you mind explaining a bit. I always found your work truly inspiring. I appreciated the clarity and elegance of what you produced. Really outstanding.

mristuccia

Man Ray and the surrealists of the twenties, László Moholy-Nagy and all the glorious masters of the Bauhaus, the Russian suprematist art, Richard Wagner and Stanley Kubrick.

Last edited:

danlindberg

Do you mind explaining a bit. I always found your work truly inspiring. I appreciated the clarity and elegance of what you produced. Really outstanding.
Thank you very much for your compliment! Well, I have always had the possibility to sort of being flexible in terms of work schedule but we have changed location (back in Sweden) and the life puzzle is slightly more complicated.
For my photography this means that I cannot just go out and shoot when the light is interesting, I have to plan ahead and hopefully be lucky. So, I feel uplifted, privileged and inspired in those times when I am 'out there' in good light and nice surroundings.

I am also one of those persons that get inspiration from my equipment! I just couldn't see any joy in shooting with my wife's entrylevel consumer camera, for instance. Hasselblad and Alpa does the trick though...:toocool: