The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS 72| 50th Anniversary Tech Camera Body

kdphotography

Did I miss the press release? :loco:

I know the excitement and attention is all on the new Phase (Cambo) XT technical camera body, with its integrated X-shutter and electronics.

But coming from the WRS 1600, and just now seeing the new Cambo WRS 72 | 50----I'm thinking it looks kinda sexy. It's the WRS 1600 in more polished presentation, and that new WTS-2048? :thumbup: I would think the WTS-2048 should be available to other Cambo body users.

See, https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-7250/

WTS-2048_w.jpgWRS-7250_32HR_w.jpg

Ken

Paul2660

It a beautiful camera.

So wish Arca would create the same style of channel to allow portrait rotation instead of having to physically rotate the back.

Paul C

Did I miss the press release? :loco:

I know the excitement and attention is all on the new Phase (Cambo) XT technical camera body, with its integrated X-shutter and electronics.

But coming from the WRS 1600, and just now seeing the new Cambo WRS 72 | 50----I'm thinking it looks kinda sexy. It's the WRS 1600 in more polished presentation, and that new WTS-2048? :thumbup: I would think the WTS-2048 should be available to other Cambo body users.

Ken
This is what I have and can confirm that indeed this set up is sexy (at least as sexy as a technical camera can be). The built in ability to rotate from horizontal to vertical is quite useful.

Jacob

kdphotography

The ability to shift from landscape to portrait orientation is indeed useful. I just got back from photographing fall colors in New Hampshire and Vermont and used this feature on the Cambo WRS 1600 frequently.

I'm not sure I can justify moving from the WRS 1600 just for sexiness, but I find this kit more attractive than the XT (at this point in time). Cambo does put together a nice Anniversary kit. The latest Cambo WRS 72 | 50 Anniversary kit is even better than the previous Anniversary kit. :shocked:

:thumbs:

ken

Paul2660

Personally the only thing stopping me besides cost to switch is the loss I will take to sell current gear.

I feel a well dialed in Cambo would be a great tool.

Paul C

kdphotography

Pretty nicely loaded "kit" with 32HR and 90HR both in tilt/swing panels, among other goodies. It's the WTS-2048 that makes things interesting.

Ken

WRS 7250 kit.jpg

Jamgolf

Personally I'm most intrigued by WTS-2048
"Cambo has designed a new precision tilting function to the 90HR’s rear spacer, which adds an additional six degrees of tilt -or swing- on top of its lens panel movements"

That means, longer lenses, which were previously unavailable in Cambo tilt/swing panel can now have 6 degrees of tilt and lenses which were availbe in T/S panel e.g. 90HRSW, 120SK can now have 11 degrees of tilt. I believe this is the tilt spacer that will be offered with 138HRSW when it becomes available.

Sweeeeet !!!

CAMBOUSA

The WTS-2048 should be made available individually later this year or so.

But that kit sure is pretty....

Can confirm!

...Mostly...

No timeline yet on stand alone release of the -2048. But we have been asking about them since the launch of this kit. The only official word at this time is they are exclusive to the 72|50 "for now".

Steve Hendrix

One of the interesting things about the WRS 72|50 Anniversary Kit is that there is remaining inventory. And these kits have some of the last remaining 32HR and 90HR lenses in copal shutter (pretty much sold out through all standard channels/configurations).

Steve Hendrix/CI

kdphotography

Maybe it's because I have not seen the Phase XT in person, but I'm more excited about this Cambo WRS 72 | 50 kit. And the case has empty spots waiting to be filled by a new Rodenstock HR138 (or my HR40 t/s). :grin:

I can't complain about my WRS 1600 though.

:eek:

Maybe it's because I have not seen the Phase XT in person, but I'm more excited about this Cambo WRS 72 | 50 kit. And the case has empty spots waiting to be filled by a new Rodenstock HR138 (or my HR40 t/s). :grin:

I can't complain about my WRS 1600 though.

:eek:
But is merely not having complaints a good enough reason not to get this kit? After all, there are only 50... :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The WTS-2048 has an equivalent for the Actus-G. I have the ACDB-987 which provides the same bellows/tilt assembly but for the Cambo MF DB mount and hence rear tilt capabilities.

The Anniversary kit certainly does look pretty. :chug:

Pemihan

The WTS-2048 has an equivalent for the Actus-G. I have the ACDB-987 which provides the same bellows/tilt assembly but for the Cambo MF DB mount and hence rear tilt capabilities.

The Anniversary kit certainly does look pretty. :chug:
Graham, when do you find back tilt useful? And with which lenses?

Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, when do you find back tilt useful? And with which lenses?

Peter
:OT: For the WRS72 edition

I haven’t had much chance to use my rear tilt adapter with the Actus yet but in the past with 4x5 view cameras I’ve used it extensively for perspective work, i.e. to shape near/far relationships for foreground/background elements. For example, rear tilt forward can enlarge distant objects at the top of the frame and shrink relatively foreground elements, and vice versa if you want to ‘loom’ a foreground element such as making a near plant or rock appear larger relative to the distant objects at the top of the frame.

A lot more options with the Actus as it’s a rail based camera and so can move the MFDB closer to the lens than you would on a pancake camera where you can’t reduce the spacing of the sensor relative to the lens. The bellows extension is a fixed distance on a pancake camera so only long barrel lenses would work. On the Actus I can certainly use it with my Rodie 70HR and although I haven’t tried it yet, likely the 40HR too.

Last edited: