The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tablet viewfinder for Tech Cam?

AndyPtak

After years of ignoring my Tech Cam I'm being drawn to it again. The Alpa and Pro Viewfinder apps are Apple only and I'm not. Anyone know of an Android or Windows product that may do the job of lens visualization the way that the other two do? I've looked and I can't find any.

AndyPtak

I think the Microsoft Surface Pro for that has been discussed here ad nauseam
I have an older back - P45+ so I can't use USB. What i want is something like the items I mentioned, which you input your lens and it will show you composition lines for that lens in the tablet's camera. Very simple but very effective.

kdphotography

Andy, are you wanting an app that basically gives you an idea of the field of view for a particular lens focal length for a particular sensor size?

I use an older app called Viewfinder on my Motorola Droid phone. I am able to input the sensor size and my lenses. It has "frames" that it displays on the screen showing what the field of view is for a particular lens. And it also allows you to take a photo.

Ken

Craig Stocks

PhotoPills has a field of view function that shows frame lines in augmented reality. If the field of view is wider than the phone’s camera it still shows the lines when you pan to them.

AndyPtak

Andy, are you wanting an app that basically gives you an idea of the field of view for a particular lens focal length for a particular sensor size?

I use an older app called Viewfinder on my Motorola Droid phone. I am able to input the sensor size and my lenses. It has "frames" that it displays on the screen showing what the field of view is for a particular lens. And it also allows you to take a photo.

Ken
Ken, exactly. I used to use the Alpa efinder and the Pro Viewfinder (essentially the same app) on my old iphone, which I now no longer have. It was perfect for me. Looking through Google Play under "viewfinder" just gives me a ton of stuff, most of which looks like junk. Do you have any further info on your app that would help me narrow it down and find the right one? Thanks.

jng

Ken, exactly. I used to use the Alpa efinder and the Pro Viewfinder (essentially the same app) on my old iphone, which I now no longer have. It was perfect for me. Looking through Google Play under "viewfinder" just gives me a ton of stuff, most of which looks like junk. Do you have any further info on your app that would help me narrow it down and find the right one? Thanks.
Ken may be referring to the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder (https://www.artistsviewfinder.com/). I know others here use it and I've been quite happy with it myself. From their webpage it looks like they only support Mac iOS devices.

John

EDIT: Apologies - scrolling up to OP's original post, I now realize he previously used Viewfinder on an iOS device so is aware of what I've noted above. Perhaps others will find the above-cited link useful nonetheless.

AndyPtak

Ken may be referring to the Mark II Artist's Viewfinder (https://www.artistsviewfinder.com/). I know others here use it and I've been quite happy with it myself. From their webpage it looks like they only support Mac iOS devices.

John

EDIT: Apologies - scrolling up to OP's original post, I now realize he previously used Viewfinder on an iOS device so is aware of what I've noted above. Perhaps others will find the above-cited link useful nonetheless.
Thanks. I indeed did use it and it worked very well. I was disappointed to see that it is iOS only so I'm now on the hunt for something similar, but non Apple.

kdphotography

The App I have is simple called "ViewFinder." It's old and works---not the best, but for a "viewfinder" for a quick peek at a len's field of view, it works. The app is offered by a Jean-Francois DuPuis. You can take photos and it will tag it with the GPS coordinates---I don't use this feature. I just want something I can quickly glance at and make a determination which lens is best and start composing or framing the scenery.

Photo Pills looks like it offers a lot more functionality and I'll need to check this app out if it is worthwhile

Ken

AndyPtak

The App I have is simple called "ViewFinder." It's old and works---not the best, but for a "viewfinder" for a quick peek at a len's field of view, it works. The app is offered by a Jean-Francois DuPuis. You can take photos and it will tag it with the GPS coordinates---I don't use this feature. I just want something I can quickly glance at and make a determination which lens is best and start composing or framing the scenery.

Photo Pills looks like it offers a lot more functionality and I'll need to check this app out if it is worthwhile

Ken
Thanks Ken. I looked up DuPuis and found a few photographers but nothing related to Viewfinder or an app. Ah well. I just downloaded Photopills - didn't know it had this feature and the Field of View function is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Have you ever used that? It's a bit funky I think. I chose my back and lens and asked for the VR view, which uses the tablet's camera with a rectangle superimposed, and which represents my chosen lens. But the rectangle doesn't accurately follow my device as I move it up and down, side to side etc. As a matter of fact, it's quite off. Am I doing something wrong because this is so far off it's useless for composition and I find it hard to believe this is the way it should be. (duh)

bomzi

Ken
It's called Mark II Viewfinder App. I use it extensively with the RM3Di and P45 back, the film 4x5 and even with the Canon 6D.