The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Possible tariffs on German lenses

Jamgolf

I just noticed this alarming article in Capture Integration newsletter.
It would really suck if a 25% price increase in the prices of German-made lenses takes effect.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Re: Possible tariffs on german lenses

Well the German companies need to eat the tariffs.
Or their sales will suffer.

trond

Well the German companies need to eat the tariffs.
Or their sales will suffer.
Well, the German lens manufacturers does not make a lot of money, and can't take this hit in the long run.

So, everybody will suffer...

Except for those that already have a nice collection of premium German lenses :cool:

Best regards

Trond

drevil

Staff member

Well, the German lens manufacturers does not make a lot of money, and can't take this hit in the long run.

So, everybody will suffer...

Except for those that already have a nice collection of premium German lenses :cool:

Best regards

Trond
since zeiss lenses are mostly made in japan, i guess they will also be imported from there, right?

JoelM

Japan won't want to deal with it either. My Japanese whiskey is getting hard to find and some brands stopped exporting here already.

Joel

Paul2660

Politics aside, PM me for my opinion on the current state of affairs in our county, most time times Tariffs become standard, i.e. they are never relaxed after the "trade war" is over. DJI took it on head with the first round and I don't expect them to revert back to the previous prices on the products that they did increase in price to cover the tariff.

As for the issue of Airbus vs Boeing being the reason, that's even more depressing, as Boeing as great as they are as a company has quite a few issues to address on the 737 Max, i.e. that plane should never have left the factory in the condition it was in.

Hope the Tariffs don't effect the XT pricing as that would be quite a hit.

Paul C

Mexecutioner

Japan won't want to deal with it either. My Japanese whiskey is getting hard to find and some brands stopped exporting here already.

Joel
Issue is that demand far surpasses availability. You can't make a 21 year old Hibiki in 6 months. That's why Suntory discontinued the 12 and 17 (Hakushu 12 discontinued too) and are offering more non-age-statement expressions, like may other distilleries in Japan and Scotland. They keep offering product without having to wait that long. They are hard to find even in Japan and bottles that used to be $200 are $1000 now if you find them. The will offer the 12 and 17 again, but it will take time for them to rebuild that stock.

For drams you are unable to find locally you can always order them from thewhiskeyexchange.com and have them shipped to San Diego. Shipping is not cheap, but reasonable. If you need to scratch that itch, you can, just check regularly as stock flies off the shelves quick.

Also try klwines.com here in LA, they have a live feed for new arrivals, also act quick when you see them come up.

Rodrigo

Steve Hendrix

I will say that we don't enjoy being the provider of potentially bad news, but we do make an attempt to bring transparency where we can to our clients. It usually starts with an unpleasant internal meeting where someone mentions something, and the rest of the team goes ... "ohhhhh noooo". And then if it matters to us, it matters to our clients, so we have to let them know.

After spending much of the past week talking through this, along with our primary partners, I think the results of this are going to be variable. I think for the most part, with a few exceptions, there is not going to be an impact to most of our clients. A lot depends on how the manufacturer (exporter) plays this (and has played this). There is a lot more to this than I am going to say here, but while we were very concerned to discover this, I think the impact will be less than what we feared. However, time will tell. But we'll know pretty shortly.

But what seems clear is that trade wars can have negative effects. What helps a manufacturing sector can also hurt a retail sector, so there is no free and clear winning in a bubble, there is fallout. We did discuss this internally and intentionally created the notice as apolitically as we could. Some might like the idea of tariffs, some might not, it certainly seems to vary in a subjective manner. It's been interesting, and given the breadth of the products in the overall very extensive list that are affected, surprising this topic isn't being discussed more. I guess because many aren't reading the fine print and viewing how many industry segments (cheese, wool) are impacted beyond the airline industry. Or they're just not that familiar with the details of how tariffs work (I certainly was not).

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited: