The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 12 Amazing masking tool which really has matured

Paul2660

I hate to post this in the Medium Format section, and Admin's can move it. However I don't feel that the "software" section on this forum gets a lot of traffic.

Point of my post is that if you have not looked at the masking toolset in Capture One in a few years or so, you really need to review it. Reasons:

1. Auto mask in general has become much more useable for finer detail demarcation like tree limbs,,
2. The Luma adjustment is just amazing as how it allows you to fine turn an existing mask
3. The color selection into a mask is also much more detailed and accurate than it used to be.
Example of this, working a truss railroad bridge, I wanted to select just the bridge and with the combination of color selection and Luma adjustments, you can get a very accurate mask with no luma overlap
4. Combination of the above, work with several of these tools to get the best mask for the scene
5. Invert mask, which can be tricky, (you may need to rasterize the mask before inversion) can save a lot time.
6. Auto mask's ability to mask a skyline against a distant tree line is really impressive. Might need fine tuning at times but most times nails it.

The only issues I have are on a current 64GB MacPro, with 6 core 3.5 Zeon and 2 Radeon card, with larger IQ3 and IQ4 files the more tools you use, the longer C1 will take, but the wait is worth it. It works within normal times for D850 Z7 files, but will choke a bit on a IQ4 image and I really hope Phase can improve this processing time as many photographer may pass on it due to the times it can take.

I have moved back from LR for most of my Fuji and all my Phase files due to really impressive layering support along with masking power.

Just wanted to post this for others who may not have used the masking in C12, it's really worth looking into it.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Indeed, masking now has so much power behind it that we have to spend a considerable part of the day on it during the DT Capture One Masters Program.

One item I didn't see on your list was Refine which is, in my opinion, the most powerful addition to masking in C1, as it hides the sins of a variety of makings.

Paul2660

Just a quick example, distant horizon, with trees IQ4, the Auto Mask is perfect, no misses and the blend to the horizon is as good as I have ever seen. Note, I have not completed the mask below the horizon, I always Auto mask to get the horizon, then drop out of auto mask to get the rest done. You could have also attempted to use the color selection tool on the sky, use the "create Mask from selection" then go that way, however with finer tree limbs this doesn't always work as well. But the range of tools within Masking is really worth the cost of admission.

Paul C

Auto mask example .jpg

Steve Hendrix

Just a quick example, distant horizon, with trees IQ4, the Auto Mask is perfect, no misses and the blend to the horizon is as good as I have ever seen. Note, I have not completed the mask below the horizon, I always Auto mask to get the horizon, then drop out of auto mask to get the rest done. You could have also attempted to use the color selection tool on the sky, use the "create Mask from selection" then go that way, however with finer tree limbs this doesn't always work as well. But the range of tools within Masking is really worth the cost of admission.

Paul C

View attachment 144743
Paul I remember some years back in the early days that you did not find the masking tools strong enough. I'm glad to see you are appreciating the improvements!

Steve Hendrix/CI

alatreille

I have to agree on this Paul.

I'm now using it extensively for my Architectural work.

Thanks for bringing this to the fore of peoples attention - it is a tool worth exploring.

A

beano_z

I have to agree on this Paul.

I'm now using it extensively for my Architectural work.

Thanks for bringing this to the fore of peoples attention - it is a tool worth exploring.

A
Indeed, just as I was purchasing one of those auto-masking plug-ins for PS, this newsletter from Phase One popped up and I realised the potential for the luminosity masks in C1, my only current problem is that I'm still new to all this and I find it hard to not over do the adjustments and ending up with something that looks way over-processed. Combine it with the frame averaging feature and somehow it becomes all too overwhelming for me at the moment :facesmack:

BTW, would love to see you pro's post some sample images here just to put me back on track!

Boinger

Indeed, just as I was purchasing one of those auto-masking plug-ins for PS, this newsletter from Phase One popped up and I realised the potential for the luminosity masks in C1, my only current problem is that I'm still new to all this and I find it hard to not over do the adjustments and ending up with something that looks way over-processed. Combine it with the frame averaging feature and somehow it becomes all too overwhelming for me at the moment :facesmack:

BTW, would love to see you pro's post some sample images here just to put me back on track!
If you ever find your masked adjustments overdone. A simple thing I like to do is turn down the opacity of the layer.

Works wonders.