The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Product: Arca Swiss Core Leveler 75

Steve Hendrix

I'm so confused by Arca products. What's the difference between this and the cube and the geared head?

The Core 60 Leveler and the Core 75 Leveler are like miniature versions of the Cube (precisely geared heads that operate in an arc-based manner to maintain the camera position when tilting). They don't have the same degree of movements as the Cube, but they do have a much smaller footprint.

Steve Hendrix/CI

The Core 60 Leveler and the Core 75 Leveler are like miniature versions of the Cube (precisely geared heads that operate in an arc-based manner to maintain the camera position when tilting). They don't have the same degree of movements as the Cube, but they do have a much smaller footprint.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,

What is the weight and size difference between the Cube vs. Core 60 and Core 75? Is the Core 75 substantially smaller than the Cube?

Thanks,
Jacob

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

What is the weight and size difference between the Cube vs. Core 60 and Core 75? Is the Core 75 substantially smaller than the Cube?

Thanks,
Jacob
Jacob, the L60 and L75 will be closer to each other size0-wise than the L75 would be to the Cube.

Steve Hendrix/CI
core75leveler_us copy.jpg

kdphotography

I really like the L60 "Mini-Cube" for travel, but feel it is slightly overshadowed in size by a tripod like the RRS TVC24 series, which is turn is too small for a full sized AS Cube (perfect on RRS TVC3 series legs)

The L75 may just be the goldilocks solution for my TVC24, offering slightly more movement as well. The L60 is a perfect match for the Novoflex triobalance, with its built-in leveler adding more movement while keeping a low profile.

Ken

erlingmm

How do these compare, use-wise to the Arca D4? Are they mostly useful on a tech cam, or flexible and quick enough to be useful on for example XF, Hasselblad etc.?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It’s not when used with the stock clamp. Only the smaller Arca Swiss rail mount is centered. The normal Arca Swiss mount isn’t.
Ah. You're right. I never noticed. Well, I will leave the discussion of uselessness to the photographers on this site who shoot panoramas for a living. I wonder what clamping systems they use? I'm of the hand-held school (not shooting at night or with close foreground objects), and am therefore no judge.

kdphotography

How do these compare, use-wise to the Arca D4? Are they mostly useful on a tech cam, or flexible and quick enough to be useful on for example XF, Hasselblad etc.?
I am sure the L60 is "capable" of handling the XF----but I feel the size of the XF overwhelms the L60, and I never felt comfortable using it for the XF. I got the L60 mini-cube for travel-use with the Cambo and the Fuji GFX----which the L60 handles with no issues. The L70, being more of a goldi-locks option, just might handle the XF better in my mind. We will see. I typically use the AS Cube with the XF.

As to "quick" or speed of use with a geared head---that's pretty subjective. I have no issues with "quickness" with geared heads---and use the Cube in portrait sessions. The D4 with its geared release is obviously going to be faster, but the attraction with the L60 and the L70 is both of them being compact, lightweight, and precision geared heads modeled after the AS Cube. The L70 is about 1/3 to 1/2 pound (depending on clamp choice) lighter than the D4---that's substantial.

Ken

Smoothjazz

I think I may a Leveler 75. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit why, but 3 weeks ago I was hiking down from the mountains after a good day of photographing a high mountain lake. I lost focus and stumbled, and the tripod strapped on my shoulder swung around, and the cube hit me in the head. The sharp corner made a gash- lots of bleeding, and needed 6 stitches. Ouch!
All better now, but the cube hss some very sharp corners. Lesson learned; always keep a cover on it when hiking.
The new Leveler looks good for the weight savings too, I am totally maxed out on carrying gear with a Cambo and three lenses.

I am sure the L60 is "capable" of handling the XF----but I feel the size of the XF overwhelms the L60, and I never felt comfortable using it for the XF. I got the L60 mini-cube for travel-use with the Cambo and the Fuji GFX----which the L60 handles with no issues. The L70, being more of a goldi-locks option, just might handle the XF better in my mind. We will see. I typically use the AS Cube with the XF.

As to "quick" or speed of use with a geared head---that's pretty subjective. I have no issues with "quickness" with geared heads---and use the Cube in portrait sessions. The D4 with its geared release is obviously going to be faster, but the attraction with the L60 and the L70 is both of them being compact, lightweight, and precision geared heads modeled after the AS Cube. The L70 is about 1/3 to 1/2 pound (depending on clamp choice) lighter than the D4---that's substantial.

Ken

Smoothjazz

Meant to say I may need a Leveler... definitely need one...

I think I may a Leveler 75. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit why, but 3 weeks ago I was hiking down from the mountains after a good day of photographing a high mountain lake. I lost focus and stumbled, and the tripod strapped on my shoulder swung around, and the cube hit me in the head. The sharp corner made a gash- lots of bleeding, and needed 6 stitches. Ouch!
All better now, but the cube hss some very sharp corners. Lesson learned; always keep a cover on it when hiking.
The new Leveler looks good for the weight savings too, I am totally maxed out on carrying gear with a Cambo and three lenses.