The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod question

jodad

Hi Guys,
I’ve got a question for you. I know this isn’t a tripod forum or sub forum but I suppose because of the type of cameras that this sub forum represents this is probably the best place to ask.

I’m meeting someone on Wednesday to look at a secondhand Gitzo GT4552ts and maybe buy it. What do you suggest I check when I inspect it? Any problems associated with this tripod? Anything I should look out for etc.?

Also, do you guys have any experience with this model? Any words against it? I would be using it with my SWA and also my Bronica SQAI. The reason I thought this tripod would work is because although its strong, it folds small and it’s not too heavy all things considered. I’m 5’10” so I think with a head, it’ll be a decent height for me. It also comes with a center column.

Also, the gent is asking for USD 510. If it’s in good shape, do we think this is a good deal? I know I often ask this last question but in this case there aren’t any sold items to check on eBay so I have no idea.

Greg Haag

Hi Guys,
I’ve got a question for you. I know this isn’t a tripod forum or sub forum but I suppose because of the type of cameras that this sub forum represents this is probably the best place to ask.

I’m meeting someone on Wednesday to look at a secondhand Gitzo GT4552ts and maybe buy it. What do you suggest I check when I inspect it? Any problems associated with this tripod? Anything I should look out for etc.?

Also, do you guys have any experience with this model? Any words against it? I would be using it with my SWA and also my Bronica SQAI. The reason I thought this tripod would work is because although its strong, it folds small and it’s not too heavy all things considered. I’m 5’10” so I think with a head, it’ll be a decent height for me. It also comes with a center column.

Also, the gent is asking for USD 510. If it’s in good shape, do we think this is a good deal? I know I often ask this last question but in this case there aren’t any sold items to check on eBay so I have no idea.

I have 2 Gitzo’s and love them, but not this model. Here is a short review by Robert White Photography that might be helpful if you have not seen it.

Good luck!

https://youtu.be/ZaP_tNZFmoo

jodad

I have 2 Gitzo’s and love them, but not this model. Here is a short review by Robert White Photography that might be helpful if you have not seen it.

Good luck!

https://youtu.be/ZaP_tNZFmoo
I have heard much good about the brand but have no experience with it.

Thank you Greg. I have seen the video. It was useful as it helped actually see how small it is and how portable it would be.

Godfrey

I've not seen this tripod in person. I watched the video provided above ...

It looks similar to but heavier duty compared to my Feisol Tournament CT3442 legs. I like the fact that the legs are the more modern design that don't turn when being adjusted, locked and unlocked; that'll make it much faster to deploy and put away. Collapsed, it seems short but bulky due to the large head/triple clamp diameter ... pluses and minuses (same with my Feisol).

What to look for when considering a used tripod? The usual: check the operation of every leg adjuster, check for the condition of all the leg tubes (nicks, cracks, looseness, whether they slide smoothly and lock securely, etc). Check all the hinges and bolt heads for looseness and signs of wear. It comes with a center column accessory ... check that the column and its mount fit properly and cleanly, etc. There's not much more to consider than that.

Like my Feisol, a set of legs this compact rated for that amount of weight is a good thing. My legs are rated for 25 lbs. I have the Feisol in its carry case, folded, with center column and an A-S Monoball P0 head fitted, weighing in at 4.2 lbs total, collapsed into a cylinder at 19 x 4.5 inches. My only complaint about them is that because the legs turn as you use the adjusters, they're a bit slow to deploy and collapse. I've had them for about 12 years now, carried them on many a trip and used them a lot. They show little signs of any wear at all. I presume the same durability and ruggedness should apply to these Gitzo legs, and they'll be speedier to use in the field.

G

Mexecutioner

Hi Guys,

It is a great tripod, sturdy and very compact, good for travel. The model it was replaced with (4553S) retails for $955 so if it is in good shape it is a very good buy, especially if a center column is included.

jodad

Just went and checked it out. Its quite pristine!
He however doesn't seem to still have the "disc" that would go where the column goes if you weren't using the column.
It really was a nice and stable piece and not heavy at all...
Im tempted.

RobbieAB

The disk may be purchasable separately. Or you could just lock the center column at its lowest setting.

If the missing disk is the only concern, personally, I wouldn’t let it worry me.

Mexecutioner

Just went and checked it out. Its quite pristine!
He however doesn't seem to still have the "disc" that would go where the column goes if you weren't using the column.
It really was a nice and stable piece and not heavy at all...
Im tempted.

If by the "disc" you mean the flat top plate D4040.266, the new replacement (GS3321SP) is $105 plus shipping from the UK which may be about $30, so you are looking at about $135 to replace it

https://www.gitzospares.com/gt4552ts-parts.html

Godfrey

If by the "disc" you mean the flat top plate D4040.266, the new replacement (GS3321SP) is $105 plus shipping from the UK which may be about $30, so you are looking at about $135 to replace it

https://www.gitzospares.com/gt4552ts-parts.html
You can also find it on ebay (search "Gitzo GS3321SP"), both on the USA and UK sites. Sometimes you can find it for a little less than direct from Gitzo, and/or the shipping is less expensive. :)

That said, the similar Feisol legs I have includes a similar disk. I've had the column fitted since I bought the tripod and not yet used the plain disk.

G

jodad

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bought the tripod in the end. It’s real nice and stable. To be honest, I was worried about not having the flap top plate because I read that the centre columns lower stability and when you’re using an expensive and good tripod you’re sort of negating all the benefits using a column since that becomes the weak point from a stability POV. Doesn’t seem to be the case it’s this one. Plus it’s almost eye level with the column in zero height position so that’s a plus I guess.

Next question is about a tripod head since I don’t have one. I’ll post another thread about that now.

Mexecutioner

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bought the tripod in the end. It’s real nice and stable. To be honest, I was worried about not having the flap top plate because I read that the centre columns lower stability and when you’re using an expensive and good tripod you’re sort of negating all the benefits using a column since that becomes the weak point from a stability POV. Doesn’t seem to be the case it’s this one. Plus it’s almost eye level with the column in zero height position so that’s a plus I guess.

Next question is about a tripod head since I don’t have one. I’ll post another thread about that now.
Good, you got a good deal on it. I don't like center columns, but to be honest when I have used them the quality of the images didn't suffer.

kdphotography

Take a look at The Great Tripod and Head thread a few lines down in this same forum. The latest newcomer is Arca Swiss' new L75 leveler.

ken

Godfrey

Congrats, I'm sure you'll like the legs.

The "Great Tripod and Head" thread goes through a huge range of heads and uses from many contributors. I've been very happy with several different heads, depending on what I'm doing. But my "go to" head nowadays is an Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 Hybrid ... It's a fine combination of a slick ball head with precision 3D head adjustability for light to medium weight gear. I have the standard Monoball P0 as well for when I don't need the precision adjustability (field work mostly, for me) and when I want something a little simpler and lighter in weight.

But they're just two of the many excellent heads out there. My big advice: You got a great deal on a fine set of legs, but legs are simple compared to heads ... and, frankly, it's the head that's going to make you want to use a tripod more than the legs. So look at stuff and try things out, as best you can, to see what's really going to appeal to you.

BTW, I have a few heads that I am considering selling now that these two do the job for me so well. They include Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, Acratech GP-1 (I think?), and Markins Q3 Emiliè (if I got that right). All great ball heads for light to medium weight needs. I just like the Monoball P0 design and workflow a bit more. They're all very strong and very stable in use.

G

jodad

Thanks Guys, I’m really happy with the tripod and glad I got it!

Here is a picture of me using it.

I’m just attaching the SWA to the screw on the flat plate on the center column – it’s not great but it’s what is available to me right now.

I don’t have much cash right now so although I’ve spent a bunch of time on the great tripod and head thread (terrible for GAS!) most of the options there are $6/$7/$800 and up.

My heaviest setup and easily the most valuable of my setups is the SWA with 57. Can I trust a ball head to hold this? Perhaps I’m overcautious (paranoid ) but this setup was super difficult for me to get and for me, super expensive!

There are a few secondhand deals next to me that I could possibly afford right now (not so flush ATMIMG_1146.jpg) they are all in good shape. I've listed these below from cheapest to most expensive asking price.

Without needing to go into too much (but feel free if you want to) can you perhaps suggest out of the below, which would be the best for value and usability for a year or so or at the very least 6 months till i scrape more cash for something better:

Gitzo GH2750QR for about $100
Gitzo GH1780QD also about $100
Gitzo G1570m for $250
Novoflex Ball NQ about $150
Novoflex classic ball 3 II about $350
Berlebach Pegasus for about $350
Linhof 3d levelling head II dovetail about $400
Linhof large levelling head II dovetail $400

Im thinking, if one of the above is good enough to use permanently (over a year and should keep up if i expand my stuff) then its worth it. otherwise the cheaper ones are better as stop gaps.

Godfrey

Thanks Guys, I’m really happy with the tripod and glad I got it!

Here is a picture of me using it.

I’m just attaching the SWA to the screw on the flat plate on the center column – it’s not great but it’s what is available to me right now.

I don’t have much cash right now so although I’ve spent a bunch of time on the great tripod and head thread (terrible for GAS!) most of the options there are $6/$7/$800 and up.

My heaviest setup and easily the most valuable of my setups is the SWA with 57. Can I trust a ball head to hold this? Perhaps I’m overcautious (paranoid ) but this setup was super difficult for me to get and for me, super expensive!

There are a few secondhand deals next to me that I could possibly afford right now (not so flush ATMView attachment 144911) they are all in good shape. I've listed these below from cheapest to most expensive asking price.

Without needing to go into too much (but feel free if you want to) can you perhaps suggest out of the below, which would be the best for value and usability for a year or so or at the very least 6 months till i scrape more cash for something better:

Gitzo GH2750QR for about $100
Gitzo GH1780QD also about $100
Gitzo G1570m for $250
Novoflex Ball NQ about $150
Novoflex classic ball 3 II about $350
Berlebach Pegasus for about $350
Linhof 3d levelling head II dovetail about $400
Linhof large levelling head II dovetail $400

Im thinking, if one of the above is good enough to use permanently (over a year and should keep up if i expand my stuff) then its worth it. otherwise the cheaper ones are better as stop gaps.
Any of the heads I listed as having "for sale" (Markins Q3 Emilie, Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, Acratech GP-1) in my previous post held my Hasselblad SWC perfectly stable and were superbly accurate in use. They're all rated for MUCH more weight than a Hasselblad SWA. I could be happy using any of them forever, quite honestly. I moved to the Arca-Swiss Monoball for reasons outside of whether any of them worked well.

If you want to chat about that privately, message me.

BTW: Acratech makes camera adapter plates for Arca-Swiss type quick release clamps that fit the standard Hasselblad foot perfectly, and they make them with either 1/4 in or 3/8 in variants to suit virtually all the film Hasselblad models. I bought one for each of the Hasselblad's I've owned over the past three decades, fitted them, and never took them off. The Arca-Swiss classic clamp, in either original screw or flip-lock types, is one of the best tripod quick release systems ever made ... all of my heads have these clamps. :)

Just thought, should this post have actually been made in the tripod and head thread? :banghead::loco:
You can start participating there, or can continue here on your thread for your ideas. Whatever gets the information you want should be fine. :)

G

jodad

Any of the heads I listed as having "for sale" (Markins Q3 Emilie, Acratech Ultimate Ball Head, Acratech GP-1) in my previous post held my Hasselblad SWC perfectly stable and were superbly accurate in use. They're all rated for MUCH more weight than a Hasselblad SWA. I could be happy using any of them forever, quite honestly. I moved to the Arca-Swiss Monoball for reasons outside of whether any of them worked well.

If you want to chat about that privately, message me.

G

Thanks Godfrey, ill look these up and come back to you.