The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help with ICC Profiles for IQ3 100 please!

Greg Haag

I am trying to adjust to the transition to Capture One and the IQ3 100 and was hoping to get a little guidance with my workflow (I previously shot with Hasselblad Phocus/Lightroom and the H6D). This question is related to landscape photography. I find very little information regarding ICC Profile selection, I currently have it set for Phase One IQ3 100MP Outdoor Daylight, for those of you experience with Phase One is this the setting you would recommend? Does anyone prefer shooting X-rite ColorChecker and setting up profiles from that? Just trying to figure out what is the best starting point.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

jng

I am trying to adjust to the transition to Capture One and the IQ3 100 and was hoping to get a little guidance with my workflow (I previously shot with Hasselblad Phocus/Lightroom and the H6D). This question is related to landscape photography. I find very little information regarding ICC Profile selection, I currently have it set for Phase One IQ3 100MP Outdoor Daylight, for those of you experience with Phase One is this the setting you would recommend? Does anyone prefer shooting X-rite ColorChecker and setting up profiles from that? Just trying to figure out what is the best starting point.
Thanks in advance,
Greg
After experimenting with a few of the other standard profiles for the IQ3100, I've happily settled on the 100 MP outdoor daylight profile for both landscape and still life under natural light. I appreciate that there's a lot of science behind this, but for me it's just a matter of taste. As a result, I never bothered to set up my own profiles. YMMV, of course. You might try a few of the other profiles in the 100MP group and see how you like them in comparison. I think a few other members here are also partial to the Leaf profiles that can be found in C1. In any case, the outdoor daylight profile is certainly a reasonable place to start for landscape work.

Hope this helps.

John

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Remember that if you regularly make a minor tweak using the color editor such as removing some cyan bias in blue skies for example (one that I’ve done in the past with IQ daylight profiles), you can save a new custom ICC profile as an alternative to the standard one. Certainly better than shooting a color checker and hoping it’s a better profile than from Phase one.

dchew

I’ve made custom profiles for the IQ3100 and 4150 using both the x-rite program and Ander’s Lumariver program. I find them helpful in situations like product photography where lighting is controlled and color “consistency” (not necessarily accuracy) is important and you are not pushing the files all over the place. Especially the ones created with Lumariver; that is a wonderful program. My first step in the leather sample shoots is to create a Lumariver profile. I almost never have to tweak color to get

They give you different results, but in my opinion not always better. I still use the P1 Outdoor Daylight profile as a default for general landscapes. I experiment with my custom profiles when I find myself struggling with a specific set of images that have unique light and/or color issues.

I also experiment with the Leaf profiles that are provided for the 3100 and 4150. You might try those too. I like the Leaf Landscape profile, but in some lighting I find greens turn too yellow, so I usually cool down the white balance with that profile.

Dave

Greg Haag

After experimenting with a few of the other standard profiles for the IQ3100, I've happily settled on the 100 MP outdoor daylight profile for both landscape and still life under natural light. I appreciate that there's a lot of science behind this, but for me it's just a matter of taste. As a result, I never bothered to set up my own profiles. YMMV, of course. You might try a few of the other profiles in the 100MP group and see how you like them in comparison. I think a few other members here are also partial to the Leaf profiles that can be found in C1. In any case, the outdoor daylight profile is certainly a reasonable place to start for landscape work.

Hope this helps.

John
Thank you John!

Greg Haag

Remember that if you regularly make a minor tweak using the color editor such as removing some cyan bias in blue skies for example (one that I’ve done in the past with IQ daylight profiles), you can save a new custom ICC profile as an alternative to the standard one. Certainly better than shooting a color checker and hoping it’s a better profile than from Phase one.
Thank you Graham!

Greg Haag

I’ve made custom profiles for the IQ3100 and 4150 using both the x-rite program and Ander’s Lumariver program. I find them helpful in situations like product photography where lighting is controlled and color “consistency” (not necessarily accuracy) is important and you are not pushing the files all over the place. Especially the ones created with Lumariver; that is a wonderful program. My first step in the leather sample shoots is to create a Lumariver profile. I almost never have to tweak color to get

They give you different results, but in my opinion not always better. I still use the P1 Outdoor Daylight profile as a default for general landscapes. I experiment with my custom profiles when I find myself struggling with a specific set of images that have unique light and/or color issues.

I also experiment with the Leaf profiles that are provided for the 3100 and 4150. You might try those too. I like the Leaf Landscape profile, but in some lighting I find greens turn too yellow, so I usually cool down the white balance with that profile.

Dave
Thank you Dave! Regarding the Leaf profiles for the 3100, I see the Leaf profiles along with all the other brands in the drop down menu, but I do not see any Leaf profiles specifically in the 3100 menu. Should I be seeing some Leaf profiles in 3100 menu?

dchew

Greg,
If you drop down the ICC Profile > Leaf > Leaf Color IQ 100 MP, there are a 10-12 profiles in there. LF5 Landscape is the one I was referring to.

Dave

Greg Haag

Greg,
If you drop down the ICC Profile > Leaf > Leaf Color IQ 100 MP, there are a 10-12 profiles in there. LF5 Landscape is the one I was referring to.

Dave

Dave, thank you again, you have been so helpful on this journey!