The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about some portraits

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I didn't realize there was a problem with it..........do you mind elaborating?

Neil
I don't mean this in a negative way at all. There certainly isn't a problem - just a philosophical observation. As Charles S says above, the same could be said of landscapes. A stunning view or a stunning women (I think all the portraits here have been of women) might be photographed in a pedestrian way and still get lots of "likes" because of the beauty of the subject.

Much harder is to produce a stunning image of a relatively ordinary subject (or a plain woman). For example, some of Alan S's work is not of dramatic scenery but he makes beautiful images of it. On the other hand, if you're in the American West there's lots of dramatic scenery and it's easier (in my view) to produce dramatic images. Which isn't to take anything away from those of us who craft great images of mountains and deserts!

I think the difference may be that a great photo adds to the subject by bringing out traits that might otherwise not be seen. Just my 2 cents worth!

One thing I am totally sure of is that the images presented here by people whom I consider friends though we've never met, are superb and inspiring. I learn a little every time I visit this site.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ok, non-beautiful subjects incoming...

Leica S, S120mm
Photographer

Mamiya 7II (I was documenting the tintype portrait session, so I'm stealing the pro's light)
WWII veteran - member of the Ghost Army

Leica S, Contax 140mm
Selfie

Matt

jng

Greg,

The portrait of your daughter is simply stunning! I'm even more impressed that you got her to sit for you (my daughters would meet any such requests with eye rolls and hasty exits).

John

Greg Haag

Greg,

The portrait of your daughter is simply stunning! I'm even more impressed that you got her to sit for you (my daughters would meet any such requests with eye rolls and hasty exits).

John
Thank you John! Maybe it’s because she has been my muse from a very young age, I am not sure, but she is incredibly patient with me.

Craig Stocks

Here's a different sort of portrait. The subject is a friend and fellow photographer who wanted to do a photo representing her struggles with bouts of anxiety. She described the feeling of being trapped and unable to breath and wanted to use plastic wrap to illustrate her experience.

Over the last few years I've been honored to have captured a few images where the subject felt an intense connection with the image since it reflected a specific aspect of their life ranging from living life in a wheelchair to being a survivor of domestic abuse.

Attachments

kdphotography

Old portrait taken in studio with my first MFDB, a Kodak 645M and Mamiya AFD. It was expensive (to me) at the time, and I figured I wouldn't need to buy another (*cough*) MFDB again... :grin:

4G3X1194 WEB.jpg

ken

P. Chong

Out take from a recent corporate shoot in Girard Perregaux HQ in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland. Subject is Patrick Pruniaux, Chief Executive Officer of Ulysse Nardin and Girard-Perregaux. Phase One XF IQ4 150 with Schneider Kreuznach Macro LS 120mm f/4.0. Light is with one Broncolor Siros L plus a small rim light (Canon speedlight) behind him. Shutter speed selected to match the outside light - it was a rainy November morning in the Jura. f/5.6, 1/125s at ISO200.

gp-ceo-hs.jpg