The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about some portraits

Qamaro

since we are showing off portraits from the older fat pixel backs, figured some of my older work from the P45+ days could make an appearance! (yes it not those nice 9 micron sized pixels but it will do :p).

kdphotography

I gotta dig a bit to find portraits taken with an older MFDB. This is one of my favorite B&W studio portraits taken with a Phase P30. Backdrop by Maheu.

CF002535 Mateo B&W web.jpg

ken

M

mjr

I very rarely get chance to shoot a proper lit studio portrait these days but I really should try, love this shot of my neighbour from a while back, it was just a bit of fun so didn't bother doing too much with the crappy background but I still really like it, it marked the point where I really started to enjoy the GFX.

PeterA

Oh well some nostalgia from years ago...- My father-in-law made with a Hasselblad 203FE +110FE and CFV11 down at the farm.

Pelorus

I very rarely get chance to shoot a proper lit studio portrait these days but I really should try, love this shot of my neighbour from a while back, it was just a bit of fun so didn't bother doing too much with the crappy background but I still really like it, it marked the point where I really started to enjoy the GFX.
One of the things that this thread has done for me is to challenge the thought about what constitutes a portrait. Apart from a few notable exceptions - including a couple of crackers from Dan - the thread has a significant majority of studio style portraits - whether in the studio or just lit like they are.

I don't have any that I'd care to contribute at the moment, but I do really love the "environmental portrait" genre. For me, that often tells more about the subject.

PeterA

One of the things that this thread has done for me is to challenge the thought about what constitutes a portrait. Apart from a few notable exceptions - including a couple of crackers from Dan - the thread has a significant majority of studio style portraits - whether in the studio or just lit like they are.

I don't have any that I'd care to contribute at the moment, but I do really love the "environmental portrait" genre. For me, that often tells more about the subject.
Well Pelorus - here is another one that isn't 'studio' Hasselblad 503 and TRX...

M

mjr

It's an interesting thought and I guess it's good to be challenged sometimes. Personally I was more just thinking about how I hadn't set up lights for ages rather than anything else, I too much prefer the environmental, especially if they are part of a bigger story. I struggle a bit with what constitutes a portrait too, I guess a big factor is if you're photographing for yourself or for the sitter, for me anyway that's the case. The cool thing about portraits is that they cover such a massive range, story telling, snaps of your kids, commercial portraits, the subject is very broad and probably more than any other genre they can be intensely personal either to the subject or the photographer. It's interesting seeing other people's shots, also interesting seeing what's popular on here, that tells a story too. Anyway..

These have probably been shown before but what I take nowadays is far from studio style. These from photographing orphans in Baghdad a few months back.

This guy was a victim of a cluster munition left over from the war in Vietnam.

A couple from Juba, South Sudan a few years back

A girl on the street who walked past

They all are very important to me but for very different reasons than anyone just looking at them would feel, just the nature of things I guess, certainly very different from some of the shots already posted, that's for sure!

Charles S

A lot of the posts on this thread are mine; they are mostly shot in a studio with a model for my own pleasure rather than the sitter's or for editorial use.
I agree with you that this does not represent the whole gamuth of the portrait genre, just as long exposure waterscapes are a sub-section of the landscape genre.

Carla on the H3D-31 / 80mm
What does it tell you about the subject ?
Shot in the studio or location ?

Carla_0233.jpg

kdphotography

View attachment 145246

Self portrait. Phaseone DF+ with Leaf Credo 60. Lens : SK 150mm F3.5 LS. Lights : Godox 600
Imho, the self-portrait (selfies and selfie-sticks nothwithstanding :ROTFL:) is one of the most difficult to accomplish.

You done good---kudos.

Collectively, the participating thread members have started a Match.com profile for you using your portrait. :ROTFL:

:thumbup: