The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about some portraits

algrove

Excellent,this one is a master class.
BL
Glad you like it. I am trying to find enough old images worthy of this site. As you can see I am trying to post a new image daily to help us all over the world fight this invisible enemy.

algrove

#2C Dusting off the Hard Drives-unposed tender moment IMHO still to this day.

Sure hope this Florence couple is unharmed while living in the worst hard hit country in Europe.

"Talking with Hands"

Attachments

algrove

#3C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Also unposed as is my preference-taken in Munich Germany

I still wonder what the bride was thinking. Who is she? Did she know my new husband? Why is she dressed like that during my wedding photo session? etc, etc. VERY strange encounter for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#4C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Unposed as usual. Just a lovely moment in Havana on the Malecon.

This young ballerina was having a friend take her photo with a flash. However the flash kept misfiring. As the cars swept around the corner behind me I noticed the head lights were giving the girl a beautiful light and color. So I waited for the traffic lights to change and the next sweep I took this image. She is so graceful looking.

Attachments

algrove

#5C Dusting off the Hard Drives

This unposed image was taken in Essouria, Morocco. I was wandering around and happened to see the shadows of people who were entering through the arch and into the square where I was standing. So I waited for next a person to come through the arch and this is the result. Patience rewarded me here.

Attachments

algrove

#6C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Pentaz 645Z with old 35mm Mamiya lens if I remember correctly

Saw this through the window and entered the barbershop for a quick shot. Its's not Havana, but Little Havana in Miami, FL. I just like the third man in the barbershop.

Attachments

jng

Handsome is as handsome does

H03_21_2020_0022-FrameShop.jpg

X1D | XCD90 | f/3.2 | 1/320 sec | ISO 3200

Apologies for inserting this cat pic after Lou's wonderful run of images. However if nothing else it demonstrates the excellent high ISO performance of the old Sony sensor and the pleasing bokeh of the XCD90 lens when shot wide open. I confess that I'm beginning to lose a few of my marbles after 17 days of lockdown...

John

algrove

#8 Dusting off the Hard Drives

Taken in the English Garden, Munich, Germany. Lovely place to people watch while enjoying a nice beer and eats and while listening to the umpah band. Glad to see my subjects enjoying an afternoon out even though over 30+ years I have never seen nun at a table except for this one.
Prost!:grin::chug::watch:

Attachments

algrove

#7C
Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one was taken way up in a remote corner of the Atlas mountains in Morocco. It all happened while my wife and I were visiting the house of a village elder in an ancient Berber community. All of a sudden my iPhone chimmed with a message from Verizon that for $x.xx per day I could connect. Well my reaction was to look at the phone and it was only then that from the surprised expressions on their faces that they had never seen a mobil phone since they had only 3 walls of what should be a 4 wall house (one wall was actually the mountain cliff) and no electricity. As it turned out this was the chance to use the phone's camera. So I took a photo of my wife and passed the phone around for all to see in amazement. Then this young woman sitting next to my wife wanted her photo taken. Well you can imagine after 10 minutes everyone was posing and looking at their own images. Everyone was laughing and in a very good mood. I had not yet taken out my Fuji cameras, but after asking the male elder if I could take his image the entire house was wanting an image taken of them with the Fuji. Why you might ask? It turned out a had a small, portable Fuji printer with me and after printing out the male elders photo for him to keep all the women also wanted their own photo. Soon the entire village was clamoring for an image. I gave out so many small prints that morning after changing to the spare printer battery I ran out of prints after 50 prints. So this woman posed for me in her own way since we could not communicate with her. The black back drop is actually the rock cliff behind her making for the perfect studio and the light behind me came from not having an outer wall to block the natural light. Sorry this got so long.

Attachments

algrove

#8C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Everyone knows this scene, but it what made me take the image was that I saw a few ladies heading down to the quai dressed like mimes and with this huge square sign. It turned out they were from Miami, FL and posed for me in their own way with the now burned out Notre Dame in the background. Sad to think it no longer looks like this.

Attachments

BANKER1

#7C
Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one was taken way up in a remote corner of the Atlas mountains in Morocco. It all happened while my wife and I were visiting the house of a village elder in an ancient Berber community. All of a sudden my iPhone chimmed with a message from Verizon that for $x.xx per day I could connect. Well my reaction was to look at the phone and it was only then that from the surprised expressions on their faces that they had never seen a mobil phone since they had only 3 walls of what should be a 4 wall house (one wall was actually the mountain cliff) and no electricity. As it turned out this was the chance to use the phone's camera. So I took a photo of my wife and passed the phone around for all to see in amazement. Then this young woman sitting next to my wife wanted her photo taken. Well you can imagine after 10 minutes everyone was posing and looking at their own images. Everyone was laughing and in a very good mood. I had not yet taken out my Fuji cameras, but after asking the male elder if I could take his image the entire house was wanting an image taken of them with the Fuji. Why you might ask? It turned out a had a small, portable Fuji printer with me and after printing out the male elders photo for him to keep all the women also wanted their own photo. Soon the entire village was clamoring for an image. I gave out so many small prints that morning after changing to the spare printer battery I ran out of prints after 50 prints. So this woman posed for me in her own way since we could not communicate with her. The black back drop is actually the rock cliff behind her making for the perfect studio and the light behind me came from not having an outer wall to block the natural light. Sorry this got so long.
The story is as good as the portrait.

Greg

algrove

#10 Dusting off the Hard Drives

unposed in a park behind the Musee du Moyen Age in Paris-she asked to see the image and then approved and off I went.

I still love the Mégot (the cigarette stub) between her fingers while putting on her makeup. Very dexterous.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#10C Berber nomad-Atlas mountains Morocco
somewhat posed since he stopped what he was doing to take a long look at me with camera aimed at him, but once his eyes moved to the side I snapped this one.

Attachments