The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about some portraits

algrove

#11 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This is one of my favorite Paris images as I had just walked through a small hedge row in a park and saw this scene which I had to capture. One shot was all it took. Oblivious to the World.

Attachments

algrove

#11C Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one was to me a composition that just came together in the VF since just about every shadow and line brought my eye to the main subject. Taken on Hollywood Beach, FL near Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Hotel.
"The Red Head"

Attachments

algrove

#12 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This guy was posed during an ICP workshop in NYC years ago. I real likable character. I just let him do his own thing as he knew what to do for me.

Attachments

algrove

#12C Dusting off the Hard Drives

While in Havana some years go I went to this boxer training facility. The managers were very nice to me as I explained that my best friend in Miami was Cuban and loved boxing so I wanted to take a few images for him. Well that was all I had to say as the Managers told every boxer to give me time and in the process kicked out some other visitors since they complained that I was ruining their images since I was so close to the boxers. I was using a 28mm lens and they were using 70-200 zooms.

This image is one of many that I like. Perhaps I will dust off some of the other images I like. This one is unposed while I waited for him to cool off from a sparing match and waited for the side glance at his coach who was giving him pointers.

Attachments

algrove

#13 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This was taken on the Paris Metro. While riding along this lady sat down in front of me and she looked in thought, sad thought. But I liked her hat so I slowly took my camera up and captured this.

Attachments

algrove

#13C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Early one morning in Havana I was walking around this square and discovered this man reading the morning paper with the nice diagonal shadows coming from the columns behind him. He was social distancing the statues nearby.

Attachments

D&A

Lou, I surmise that long before the pandemic, you traveled extensively and had little time to dust and do housecleaning. :). Therefore I suspect and hope you have a mound of dust on those hard drives and continue to clean them off for quite some time to come and keep posting some of your very inspiring street photography images. It's the type of photography I was very actively engaged in during my younger days having befriended a few renowned photographers. I was fearless on the streets of NYC (and elsewhere) when it came to capturing people and situations. For a number of reasons, I unfortunately rarely approach that type of photography these days but admire those that do it with a keen eye, especially as it relates not just to subject matter (ie: the individual(s) captured), but also to composition and lighting.

Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Thorkil

what a wonderful and eminent series of street portraits you serve here, Louis. Almost unbelievable.
By the Chanel-lady (what a face to put up under that hat!..:)) and the fine-vaporetto-venice-lady too, both super-close-up's, I just wonder how you could get away with putting your camera up in front, being that close, without getting a scared/shy/surprised reaction? (super well done I must say), with a small GR, one perhaps could understand a little of it..but any other/bigger camera?, how do you do...? (I guess leaving inhibitions at home is the first and most important priority)
best thorkil
(please state, as far as you remember, the camera-type, when dusting of further on...which you just have to do...have to do....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:)

algrove

what a wonderful and eminent series of street portraits you serve here, Louis. Almost unbelievable.
By the Chanel-lady (what a face to put up under that hat!..:)) and the fine-vaporetto-venice-lady too, both super-close-up's, I just wonder how you could get away with putting your camera up in front, being that close, without getting a scared/shy/surprised reaction? (super well done I must say), with a small GR, one perhaps could understand a little of it..but any other/bigger camera?, how do you do...? (I guess leaving inhibitions at home is the first and most important priority)
best thorkil
(please state, as far as you remember, the camera-type, when dusting of further on...which you just have to do...have to do....:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:)
Actually very good questions.

Most, if not all images were shot with Leica M or Q and Fuji X-T2 cameras. Early posed shots were captured with a Canon 5D3 and 70-200, such as the cigar box guitarist plus I have one more of an old neighbor who showed me his Perfect Season Super Bowl Ring which I will post soon if I can find it in all the dust.

The 2 ladies:

On the Venice vaporetto the lady sat down in front of me right next to the window. She was not looking at me and I pretending to be looking at previous results and aiming my camera slightly off to the right and then when she looked out the window where the daylight lit up one side of her face-Bam I shot it with a Leica Q.

As for the Paris Metro shot the lady sat down in front of me just like the other one in Venice. Sometimes I wonder if I am a magnet for these women since I am older with gray hair and they might feel comfortable sitting near someone close to their age. In any event I basically wait for the person to look away from me and then raise the camera to my eye but point the camera NOT at them and then quickly capture a shot while they look involved in their own thoughts. I DO NOT chimp at that time. I either get it or not. Shot with a Leica M+35/1.4. That combination was used on the vast majority of my Paris shots although some were taken with the 21/1.4, or APO 50/2.0.

Also, let me make a comment on shooting strangers. It takes a practiced eye to get people in their own thoughts and also a basic understanding of human nature so one can almost anticipate actions or movements of individuals. Watch peoples expressions, see how they walk, see what they do with their eyes and hands, etc. It's the human expression I am looking for and nothing posed since to me those types of images often look too stiff and unnatural. Sometimes I have taken those types of images where I just liked the subject no matter what they gave me, but generally I try to avoid those types of captures.

Trust this answers your questions, but remember its not the gear, but my reactions to human conditions and expressions that matter most. I cannot shoot with others and get my best shots since this is a very personal type of shooting techniques that requires quick reflexes and solitude for my concentration.

There are always exceptions, but what I describe is the vast majority of what I do.:grin:

Thorkil

Actually very good questions.

Most, if not all images were shot with Leica M or Q and Fuji X-T2 cameras. Early posed shots were captured with a Canon 5D3 and 70-200, such as the cigar box guitarist plus I have one more of an old neighbor who showed me his Perfect Season Super Bowl Ring which I will post soon if I can find it in all the dust.

The 2 ladies:

On the Venice vaporetto the lady sat down in front of me right next to the window. She was not looking at me and I pretending to be looking at previous results and aiming my camera slightly off to the right and then when she looked out the window where the daylight lit up one side of her face-Bam I shot it with a Leica Q.

As for the Paris Metro shot the lady sat down in front of me just like the other one in Venice. Sometimes I wonder if I am a magnet for these women since I am older with gray hair and they might feel comfortable sitting near someone close to their age. In any event I basically wait for the person to look away from me and then raise the camera to my eye but point the camera NOT at them and then quickly capture a shot while they look involved in their own thoughts. I DO NOT chimp at that time. I either get it or not. Shot with a Leica M+35/1.4. That combination was used on the vast majority of my Paris shots although some were taken with the 21/1.4, or APO 50/2.0.

Also, let me make a comment on shooting strangers. It takes a practiced eye to get people in their own thoughts and also a basic understanding of human nature so one can almost anticipate actions or movements of individuals. Watch peoples expressions, see how they walk, see what they do with their eyes and hands, etc. It's the human expression I am looking for and nothing posed since to me those types of images often look too stiff and unnatural. Sometimes I have taken those types of images where I just liked the subject no matter what they gave me, but generally I try to avoid those types of captures.

Trust this answers your questions, but remember its not the gear, but my reactions to human conditions and expressions that matter most. I cannot shoot with others and get my best shots since this is a very personal type of shooting techniques that requires quick reflexes and solitude for my concentration.

There are always exceptions, but what I describe is the vast majority of what I do.:grin:
Thank you for your answer!
That was my thought, it had to be the innocent pointing at subject beside/long away, so the person become comfortable and “unhunted”, unnoticed. I’m not familiar with the Q, but the M and the X-T2, but in such situations foremost prefocused, where just looking at an M-lens show you the important distance, so one is by that ahead of the situation, by-wire is a non-visualizing game, so an M would be a perfect tool for that, in my head, unfortunately sold my M-E while it didn’t talk to me like my M6 did, and all the lenses went out too. With my GR I did a lot of close shots, mostly prefocused, but I do not connect that good anymore with my GR, miss a viewfinder. The Z7 is a bit too big for close-up situations, where a XF 18/2 is a state of the art on a X-E3, the wonderful XF16/1.4 might be too big for that, but one should give it a chance, while its just so..and the X-T3 is luckily still kept, while the son “stole” it.
Yes age is definitely an advantage, very disarming – the wolf has gone, and left is calmness and comfort..
I know exactly what you mean by feeling the psychological expression from people through ones fingertips, sense it, smell it, so to speak. And the unspoken interaction can be so immense rewarding. But it’s also a challenging game..
For my part it sometimes is very mood based, one has to be sort of mentally totally at your tip of your toes, willing to risk, willing to put yourself out in the game. Sometimes I can get out, not even getting a single proper “living-alive-shot” in the box, and it often only takes a few minutes to realize, today is not the day, the mood lacks, and better be heading home. But travelling is another thing, one is pre-tensed, pre-prepared, and the tension is often the game-changer, that gives you the kicks you from behind.
(on the other hand the words from my wife's mother, who was a painter, said, people think it's all about inspiration..but fact is, 95% its all hard work, and 5% inspiration - perhaps not quit right in photography, but there is a wisdom in it)
By the way, the officer at the bridge is just like an old Hollywood-masterpiece!, a super catch (how lucky is one allowed to be :eek:)
Keep rolling….:thumbup:

algrove

#14 Dusting off the Hard Drives

Staying on the female theme for a few more this one was close to home and taken on Miami Beach, FL. The young girl had just finished a street side shower after coming off the beach and I was watching her in hopes I could get an interesting shot while she was working on drying her hair in the sun.

To me this image has an almost Hollywood feel to it with the higher key look including her oversized, darkish sunglasses, the tilt of her head and the arms/hands positions.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#14C Dusting off the Hard Drives

While doing my daily dusting I had completely forgotten about this one.

So while at the Kafer pavilion at Munich's famous Oktoberfest many years ago, I went down to the toilet since we were up on the balcony and in the sun that day. On my way back upstairs I came upon this jubilant lady and her friends and raised my camera up and one of them said "no photos". I frankly did not think they were of that sound a mind by then so by not wanting to feel like a complete idiot I said to the lady that I was from the Miami Herald newspaper and wanted to capture the mood of Oktoberfest and would it be OK with her if I took their photo (which meant her photo). Well to be on the cover of such an important journal from the US was just too appealing to her so she agreed. Of course to this day I suspect the young man in the top left corner of the image did not believe me based on how he looked at me, but I took it anyway since the Hefeweizenbier in me made me take it.

I like her out of focus husband on the right side and also her friend in the black hat trying to peak around the ladies head in order to get a glimpse of me-the Miami Herald photographer.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

#15 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one was taken during a Leica competition during Fotofusion a Palm Beach, FL annual event where many workshops and lectures take place over a one week period where many editors and professional photographers come to offer their opinions and expertise on just about every photographic subject.

So we had about 2-3 hours to capture and process one image for submission to Leica for the chance to win a Leica camera. It wasn't an M, but free is free.

So there might have been about 8-10 of us scrambling around the downtown of Palm Beach along Clematis Avenue in order to capture our best image possible.

Well, I was out of luck until I came around from behind some hedges and found this pretty young lady taking a music break before heading for work nearby. Since we both almost scared each other as I came around the corner of the hedge so I did ask if I could take her image and explained why. She agreed and the rest is history. So I won the camera which my wife immediately claimed since she did not own a Leica camera. Fair enough.

Attachments

algrove

#15C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Continuing with the colorful Oktoberfest theme, this image was taken in bright sun up on the balcony where we were seated. Again it was so simple since this young lady and her girlfriend sat right in from of me at the long table capable of seating about 10-12 people depending on social distancing desired at the time. So I let her drink half of her maas (for you Germans I know this is not how it is spelled, but how it is pronounced) before asking if I could take her image. I said she had such a beautiful Bavarian looking green hat on it was very Oktoberfest looking. She said yes if I could ask her in German so my wife and sister helped me translate. My wife and sister laughed at me later for flirting with the young woman, but I insisted I was not flirting since I was simply working the scene.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thorkil

we certainly all do believe you Louis, that you not at all had any intention of, or interest in flirting with this absolutely "uninspiring" and "uncharming" young lady...:ROTFL: (and a lovely "scene" to work with...)

algrove

we certainly all do believe you Louis, that you not at all had any intention of, or interest in flirting with this absolutely "uninspiring" and "uncharming" young lady...:ROTFL: (and a lovely "scene" to work with...)
How can you doubt me? :angel:

algrove

#16 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one takes me back to Paris, probably what used to be my most favorite city to shoot in. So much variation possible in that city.
So while manually focusing on this waiter he just stared at me without movement and thank gosh no smile. Then the sun suddenly peaked threw a bit and Bam I took the shot. One chance only.

Attachments

algrove

#16C Dusting off the Hard Drives

Miami, FL near the Panther Cafe (excellent place) in the Wynwood area. This was pretty lucky. While I was shooting this wall and the Picasso like portrait on the wall, I saw her coming in that fantastic looking long black and white dress.

Getting her stride just right was the challenge so that one could see the breath of the zebra stripped dress while she was in stride. Of course she contrasts well against the intense red painted wall behind her, but I decided to keep the face on the wall behind her in the image.

Attachments

D&A

#16 Dusting off the Hard Drives

This one takes me back to Paris, probably what used to be my most favorite city to shoot in. So much variation possible in that city.
So while manually focusing on this waiter he just stared at me without movement and thank gosh no smile. Then the sun suddenly peaked threw a bit and Bam I took the shot. One chance only.
There are intentionally "posed" images (portraits if you will) and unintentionally posed images (like this one posed) and of course capturing decisive moments like the image of the women in the Zebra patterned dress. Each has a story to tell, especially when the environment plays a role in the photographed person's life. This is of course my perspective. Lou you have done a amazing job of describing many of these encounters accompanied by your thought process.

As for Paris, my photography mentor spent his life split between Paris and NYC for the exact reasons Lou stated, but eventually settled on Paris for the remainder of his senior years.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: