The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto ISO on Phase One XF

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have never used Auto ISO on the XF. I almost always shoot AV or Manual. But today I had a situation where I wanted to us Auto ISO. It was no problem tapping the ISO on the top screen and then the "Auto" and it worked fine - except it doesn't "stick". I have to reapply Auto ISO with each shot.

I have chosen M for manual, and use the front dial to control speed and the rear side dial to change aperture. When Auto ISO is set, I can see the aperture in blue (top panel) and it changes as I change speed or aperture just as it should. But then I take a shot and it reverts to manual, showing the ISO (in white) of the previous shot.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or is this normal?

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

After some research I've answered my own question. You can't use Auto ISO in M mode. But by restricting the range of both speed and aperture, you can achieve the same thing using P mode.

drunkenspyder

After some research I've answered my own question. You can't use Auto ISO in M mode. But by restricting the range of both speed and aperture, you can achieve the same thing using P mode.
And doesn't this sort of sh*te drive you nuts? I just this past week sent a note to Hasselblad asking why no Auto ISO in M mode, the mode where it is arguably most useful? Criminy, even Sony and Nikon have got this nailed down. For Phase and Hassy to not offer Auto ISO in M mode is just, to borrow a phrase, sick and wrong.

4*Paul

You can't use Auto ISO in M mode
Hello Bill
Well that’s very interesting because I checked out my XF today and found that the Auto ISO stays blue and doesn’t need resetting between shots on my camera. And this was in M Mode!

I was using it as you described - by altering the front and rear aperture and shutter speed dials and getting different ISOs with each shot.
Initially I thought that there may be a difference because I have incorporated Auto ISO into my custom “handheld” setting (also M) and used that to check it out but, on activating it manually from a different custom setting, it worked exactly the same.
Hope that helps and doesn’t confuse the matter further.
Paul.

drunkenspyder

Hello Bill
Well that’s very interesting because I checked out my XF today and found that the Auto ISO stays blue and doesn’t need resetting between shots on my camera. And this was in M Mode!

I was using it as you described - by altering the front and rear aperture and shutter speed dials and getting different ISOs with each shot.
Initially I thought that there may be a difference because I have incorporated Auto ISO into my custom “handheld” setting (also M) and used that to check it out but, on activating it manually from a different custom setting, it worked exactly the same.
Hope that helps and doesn’t confuse the matter further.
Paul.
Thanks Paul. Digging into this today. Would love you to be correct, and it would restore a little confidence, for me anyway, in Phase's vision.

drunkenspyder

Thanks Paul. Digging into this today. Would love you to be correct, and it would restore a little confidence, for me anyway, in Phase's vision.
Well, with system FW 6.00.52, in Manual mode, WLF attached and the 40-80 zoom, if I set ISO to Auto, either from the top or rear screen, it behaves correctly—for one shot, as Bill described. But then the camera sticks at the last used ISO for the next shot, and Auto ISO is off.

And unfortunately, with system FW 6.01, the system behaves the same: Auto ISO will not stick.:mad:

ndwgolf

Hasselblad H6D100c doesn't have auto ISO period...........I have emailed them and asked to have it as an update but all I got back was that they consider the H6D a studio camera so no need for it. I took mine on safari in Tanzania and it would have been very useful there :( :(

Neil

drunkenspyder

Hasselblad H6D100c doesn't have auto ISO period...........I have emailed them and asked to have it as an update but all I got back was that they consider the H6D a studio camera so no need for it. I took mine on safari in Tanzania and it would have been very useful there :( :(

Neil
Don't you love it when they tell you how not to use the camera you bought from them?

4*Paul

Paul, what FW are you running?
Just checked the back (IQ3 100) and the FW is 4.01.4
I haven’t had any updates for a while now and, I think I’m correct in saying, it updates the FW of XF & DB at the same time.

You must have a certain charm with the XF
That would be nice Bill but I think that I used up all my quota of charm in the 1960s/70s :) Anyway I think that the XF is just too big and stern to be “charmable” at all - and if I could I would ask it to lose weight!

As I seem to be alone on this one I checked it again tonight to ensure that senility hasn’t finally kicked in - and really does work perfectly in M. I’ve even taken a very boring video of it just in case anyone wants to see if I’m doing anything different. Will add a link if I decide to put it on Vimeo.

Would be very interested to hear how a Phase Dealer thinks it should work.
Paul.

Very dull Video here:
https://vimeo.com/370213300

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Just checked the back (IQ3 100) and the FW is 4.01.4
As I seem to be alone on this one I checked it again tonight to ensure that senility hasn’t finally kicked in
Sounds like this is a difference between a IQ3 100 and IQ4 150? Maybe another bug in the 150.

4*Paul

Wayne Fox said:
Sounds like this is a difference between a IQ3 100 and IQ4 150? Maybe another bug in the 150.
I agree. With IQ3 100 Tr. I never had that mistake.
My IQ4 is just like Bill's.
Yep it certainly looks like it’s a bug in the IQ4.
The IQ3 still has a lot to recommend it although I’m very envious of the performance of the IQ4 on a Tech Cam.
Best of luck in getting it fixed. Auto ISO is hardly something that is a show stopper but it’s nice to have it there when you want it. And it’s good to have everything working properly anyway. :rolleyes:
Paul

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
well, they certainly should be able to address it in firmware, along with all the other problems and features they need to address. At the rate they are going with firmware, they’re not going to get this thing working right until time for a new back.

onasj

Any word from Phase One or a dealer on restoring the ability of auto ISO to work in M mode on the IQ4? It’s been 10 months since the bug was reported by multiple users.

bab

Neil
Hmm...funny how most of the Hasselblad ambassadors show work created outside the studio, if a studio camera why is there no integrated step focusing, why no raw histogram per channel, why is the top screen not tilt-a-ble. And why the hell only one focus point, in a studio camera locked down on a camera stand Hasselblad forces U to move the Stand or unlock the camera focus and recompose (scratching my...) WTF.

PS it’s been years since a firmware update has been released, whoever wrote u back doesn’t
know, literally thousands of reasons and promises were made by the marketing team in vein!

Please stop writing Hasselblad in English they don’t speak it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are actively dumping any H6D backs surely they no longer can stock SKUs only sold orders get manufactured.

How to ruin a brand 101 Victor is spinning!