The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo Tripod Feet

Smoothjazz

I have always used the Gitzo rubber tripod feet on my various Gitzo tripods, but lately find I keep losing them in the field. They somehow manage to work their way off- two missing after my last trip!
I decided to try the round flat platform feet that Gitzo included with the larger series tripod, which seem to tighten much more securely- with an Allen wench (as opposed to twist tighten with the rubber feet). Has anyone had any experience with these feet in the field? Opinions about stability and vibration control for outdoors shooting?

Thanks for the input.

John

eisbaer

Hi,

I had the same problem with my Gitzo Traveler. One( always the same)foot got Loose again and again. I catched it maybe 10 times before it got lost finally. I bought three spares and replaced the lost one. Since then no more problems. Maybe a bad batch, where I got one weak one and you two. If you prefer the spikes I would give it a try to buy spares..

Frank

Mexecutioner

I have always used the Gitzo rubber tripod feet on my various Gitzo tripods, but lately find I keep losing them in the field. They somehow manage to work their way off- two missing after my last trip!
I decided to try the round flat platform feet that Gitzo included with the larger series tripod, which seem to tighten much more securely- with an Allen wench (as opposed to twist tighten with the rubber feet). Has anyone had any experience with these feet in the field? Opinions about stability and vibration control for outdoors shooting?

Thanks for the input.

John
Is the field concrete? asphalt of some sort of man made road? Or is the field rocks, sand, dirt?

I use these titanium rocket spikes from Markins, they have a rubber piece that goes over the spike so you don't scratch a wooden floor or any fragile surface you care about and they are great outdoors as well. The rubber caps have never come off. I have a set that's almost 10 years old and is still looking great and has been through hell and back. You can out a bit of loctite on the thread and tighten then with a small wrench. And for good measure they sell spare rubber caps, just in case.

I actually just got a second set form B&H for a new tripod build I am working on, check 'em out here: https://www.markins.us/products/titanium-rocket-spikes-set.

Smoothjazz

Those look really nice, vey high tech, but also a bit pricey. Is there an advantage to having them made out of titanium?

Thanks again.

Is the field concrete? asphalt of some sort of man made road? Or is the field rocks, sand, dirt?

I use these titanium rocket spikes from Markins, they have a rubber piece that goes over the spike so you don't scratch a wooden floor or any fragile surface you care about and they are great outdoors as well. The rubber caps have never come off. I have a set that's almost 10 years old and is still looking great and has been through hell and back. You can out a bit of loctite on the thread and tighten then with a small wrench. And for good measure they sell spare rubber caps, just in case.

I actually just got a second set form B&H for a new tripod build I am working on, check 'em out here: https://www.markins.us/products/titanium-rocket-spikes-set.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you have problems with tripod feet coming loose, apply some Locktite 242 (blue) thread lock and let it cure for 24 hrs. It’s not 100% permanent so if or when needed you can still remove the feet in the future.

Mexecutioner

Those look really nice, vey high tech, but also a bit pricey. Is there an advantage to having them made out of titanium?

Thanks again.
Only advantages from titanium would be durability and light weight, other than that I guess they could be made of something else. I like the black ring that goes between the spike and the end of the tripod tube as it provides very good protection.

As Graham points out, and if you're on a budget, loctite can eliminate the problem regardless of which feet you use.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member

tylerallenmohr

I use the RRS Rock claw feet on my Alpa Tripod with 100% performance satisfaction. Unfortunately however, I've lost two in the field over time which had to be replaced. Since the original rubber feet that came with the tripod have been shelved pretty since the beginning I'll probably loctiite the rock claws in place and call it a day.

Pemihan

I use the RRS Spike Tripod Feet for all outdoor use, love them. Indoor I use the standard rubber feet, but I wish the would make some rubber feet you could just slide over the spikes. That would so much easier that having to screw off the spikes and screw on the rubber feet.

I wrote RRS and suggested they made slide over rubber feet for the spikes, but was told that they had no intention to do that as they had the standard rubber feet. Maybe if enough people write them they might reconsider.

Someone posted a link to some Ebay slide over rubber feet on a previous thread, but I lost the link and can't find the thread again.

Edit - found this set that should fit the RRS spikes.

Here
are some rubber covers that fit these spikes that should fit RRS spikes.

Edit edit - just reread the thread and saw the other link that was posted earlier, somehow I missed them :facesmack:

Last edited:

Mexecutioner

Thanks for the link, looks really nice. I might opt for them.

I just wrote RRS again and included all the links including yours. Maybe that would wake them up. I love their longer spikes, but if they don't commit to making rubber covers I will go for a third party solution.
I imagine if you want to take the tripod as a carry-on the gate agents may not be so fond of the exposed spikes, therefore the 3rd party approach may be the way to go in that instance.

Pemihan

I imagine if you want to take the tripod as a carry-on the gate agents may not be so fond of the exposed spikes, therefore the 3rd party approach may be the way to go in that instance.
I always take all my gear including tripod as carry-on so I'm ready to shoot even if my checked luggage is missing which has happened several times :loco: I put the spikes in the checked luggage though but yeah I could easily see how TSA or the gate agents could have a fit about it.

Pemihan

BTW. Just got a reply from a representative at RRS who loved the idea of rubber covers for their spikes and had passed it along to their engineers. A positive response compared to last time I wrote them about a year ago.