Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gitzo Tripod Feet

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorba Linda
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Gitzo Tripod Feet

    I have always used the Gitzo rubber tripod feet on my various Gitzo tripods, but lately find I keep losing them in the field. They somehow manage to work their way off- two missing after my last trip!
    I decided to try the round flat platform feet that Gitzo included with the larger series tripod, which seem to tighten much more securely- with an Allen wench (as opposed to twist tighten with the rubber feet). Has anyone had any experience with these feet in the field? Opinions about stability and vibration control for outdoors shooting?

    Thanks for the input.

    John

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Hi,

    I had the same problem with my Gitzo Traveler. One( always the same)foot got Loose again and again. I catched it maybe 10 times before it got lost finally. I bought three spares and replaced the lost one. Since then no more problems. Maybe a bad batch, where I got one weak one and you two. If you prefer the spikes I would give it a try to buy spares..

    Frank

  3. #3
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    I have always used the Gitzo rubber tripod feet on my various Gitzo tripods, but lately find I keep losing them in the field. They somehow manage to work their way off- two missing after my last trip!
    I decided to try the round flat platform feet that Gitzo included with the larger series tripod, which seem to tighten much more securely- with an Allen wench (as opposed to twist tighten with the rubber feet). Has anyone had any experience with these feet in the field? Opinions about stability and vibration control for outdoors shooting?

    Thanks for the input.

    John
    Is the field concrete? asphalt of some sort of man made road? Or is the field rocks, sand, dirt?

    I use these titanium rocket spikes from Markins, they have a rubber piece that goes over the spike so you don't scratch a wooden floor or any fragile surface you care about and they are great outdoors as well. The rubber caps have never come off. I have a set that's almost 10 years old and is still looking great and has been through hell and back. You can out a bit of loctite on the thread and tighten then with a small wrench. And for good measure they sell spare rubber caps, just in case.

    I actually just got a second set form B&H for a new tripod build I am working on, check 'em out here: https://www.markins.us/products/tita...ket-spikes-set.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorba Linda
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Those look really nice, vey high tech, but also a bit pricey. Is there an advantage to having them made out of titanium?

    Thanks again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    Is the field concrete? asphalt of some sort of man made road? Or is the field rocks, sand, dirt?

    I use these titanium rocket spikes from Markins, they have a rubber piece that goes over the spike so you don't scratch a wooden floor or any fragile surface you care about and they are great outdoors as well. The rubber caps have never come off. I have a set that's almost 10 years old and is still looking great and has been through hell and back. You can out a bit of loctite on the thread and tighten then with a small wrench. And for good measure they sell spare rubber caps, just in case.

    I actually just got a second set form B&H for a new tripod build I am working on, check 'em out here: https://www.markins.us/products/tita...ket-spikes-set.

  5. #5
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    6,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    627

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    If you have problems with tripod feet coming loose, apply some Locktite 242 (blue) thread lock and let it cure for 24 hrs. Itís not 100% permanent so if or when needed you can still remove the feet in the future.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Those look really nice, vey high tech, but also a bit pricey. Is there an advantage to having them made out of titanium?

    Thanks again.
    Only advantages from titanium would be durability and light weight, other than that I guess they could be made of something else. I like the black ring that goes between the spike and the end of the tripod tube as it provides very good protection.

    As Graham points out, and if you're on a budget, loctite can eliminate the problem regardless of which feet you use.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Those look really nice, vey high tech, but also a bit pricey. Is there an advantage to having them made out of titanium?

    Thanks again.
    Thereís also the non-bling version from gitzo:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nd_rubber.html

  8. #8
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    6,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    627

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Thereís also the non-bling version from gitzo:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nd_rubber.html
    I use those on one of my tripods - very easy to lock down. I also have another that I use these on as they are a little easier to adjust and no opportunity for losing the rubber ends:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iked_Feet.html
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorba Linda
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Thanks Graham. I am going to give those a try.


    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I use those on one of my tripods - very easy to lock down. I also have another that I use these on as they are a little easier to adjust and no opportunity for losing the rubber ends:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iked_Feet.html

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    I use the RRS Rock claw feet on my Alpa Tripod with 100% performance satisfaction. Unfortunately however, I've lost two in the field over time which had to be replaced. Since the original rubber feet that came with the tripod have been shelved pretty since the beginning I'll probably loctiite the rock claws in place and call it a day.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    I use the RRS Spike Tripod Feet for all outdoor use, love them. Indoor I use the standard rubber feet, but I wish the would make some rubber feet you could just slide over the spikes. That would so much easier that having to screw off the spikes and screw on the rubber feet.

    I wrote RRS and suggested they made slide over rubber feet for the spikes, but was told that they had no intention to do that as they had the standard rubber feet. Maybe if enough people write them they might reconsider.

    Someone posted a link to some Ebay slide over rubber feet on a previous thread, but I lost the link and can't find the thread again.

    Edit - found this set that should fit the RRS spikes.

    Here
    are some rubber covers that fit these spikes that should fit RRS spikes.

    Edit edit - just reread the thread and saw the other link that was posted earlier, somehow I missed them
    Last edited by Pemihan; 4 Weeks Ago at 00:06.

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    I am using these:
    https://www.gitzo.com/us-en/short-sp...t-of-3-gsf38s/

    And I realy like them.

    Greetings
    wolfram
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by strohscw View Post
    I am using these:
    https://www.gitzo.com/us-en/short-sp...t-of-3-gsf38s/

    And I realy like them.

    Greetings
    wolfram
    Thanks for the link, looks really nice. I might opt for them.

    I just wrote RRS again and included all the links including yours. Maybe that would wake them up. I love their longer spikes, but if they don't commit to making rubber covers I will go for a third party solution.

  14. #14
    Member Mexecutioner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    Thanks for the link, looks really nice. I might opt for them.

    I just wrote RRS again and included all the links including yours. Maybe that would wake them up. I love their longer spikes, but if they don't commit to making rubber covers I will go for a third party solution.
    I imagine if you want to take the tripod as a carry-on the gate agents may not be so fond of the exposed spikes, therefore the 3rd party approach may be the way to go in that instance.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    Quote Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
    I imagine if you want to take the tripod as a carry-on the gate agents may not be so fond of the exposed spikes, therefore the 3rd party approach may be the way to go in that instance.
    I always take all my gear including tripod as carry-on so I'm ready to shoot even if my checked luggage is missing which has happened several times I put the spikes in the checked luggage though but yeah I could easily see how TSA or the gate agents could have a fit about it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Pemihan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,646
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Gitzo Tripod Feet

    BTW. Just got a reply from a representative at RRS who loved the idea of rubber covers for their spikes and had passed it along to their engineers. A positive response compared to last time I wrote them about a year ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •