Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Darr,

You must get up quite early like I do because it is a joy to see your images upon arising to face yet another day.

This image on State Street greets me with wondrous color and palm trees, which I need. Images in my mind over the years from vacations in Florida are re-energized with this morning's surprise Ektachrome.

Hmmm... my film backs are loaded with expired Ektachrome and Velvia. Sadly though, there are no palm trees. Or Spanish Moss here, or in my near future. Certainly no possibility of going to California... This will fill the void nicely and that is enough.

Now about that Mamiya...
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Darr,

You must get up quite early like I do because it is a joy to see your images upon arising to face yet another day.

This image on State Street greets me with wondrous color and palm trees, which I need. Images in my mind over the years from vacations in Florida are re-energized with this morning's surprise Ektachrome.

Hmmm... my film backs are loaded with expired Ektachrome and Velvia. Sadly though, there are no palm trees. Or Spanish Moss here, or in my near future. Certainly no possibility of going to California... This will fill the void nicely and that is enough.

Now about that Mamiya...
    Good Morning Dave!

Yes, I am the early riser for sure.
    Got use to it when I was a mom + college student + business owner.
    The only time of the day I could do my homework was at 4am!
    Love hearing the birdies singing at daybreak; absolutely my favorite time of the day.

I just ordered the new Ektachrome 100 and look forward to shooting it.
    Glad you like the photo and hope it inspires you to shoot wherever you are.

I sold off the Mamiya 7II a few years ago and kind of regret it, but the Mamiya 6 came along and made me feel better.
    Take care my friend.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    website | blog
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Lovely portrait!
    Yes lovely portrait. My take: Graham is handsome but his son is cute as well as handsome so more points to his son. I am afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky to have him as my (mostly) willing model

Waching over the city by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Lucky to have him as my (mostly) willing model

Waching over the city by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
    Lovely boy, Graham, did you use a scanner,got it scanned or a different method? Thanks. There is a thread about film scanning where you can duplicate your reply if you wish. Thanks.
    PS: Many years ago I did the same with my son. Very easy model !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've been doing scanning with my A7rII. I'm still experimenting as I go. This is basically what it look like:

More film scanning by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

I since picked up the Hasselblad 120/4 for my kit, so I use that now for scanning with a 32mm extension tube. For now, I'm only using one shot to capture the 6x6 frame, so the reproduction ratio is about 1:2.3 (56mm reproduced at 24mm high). Output is about 27MP on my A7rII (42MP).

I could improve a bit with more effort. This lens combination could go to about 1:2, so I could stitch two shots per frame to capture around 38MP.

I've also used the Smooth Reflection app to average 4 shots and see if the output is better. It does improve noise levels, but the difference is very minor. Standard RAWs from the A7rII already capture excellent dynamic range, so I just use a single frame now. I've tried my DP3 Merrill for capturing shots, but those files get quite noisy with only minor adjustments.

I used to use an iPad as a backlight source, but I picked up a tracing table to simplify things. I never did an A/B test against color though, and I wonder whether a high CRI light would help reproduce colors more accurately. I actually also had this roll scanned by the developer at their highest DPI, so it was interesting to compare the results. Resolution was similar, but the color results were a bit different. I felt like mine were closer to the actual scans once I received them in the mail.

Post Thanks / Like

More SF Bay Area bridges

Golden Gate Red by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

This is called 6X6 Full Frame PLUS.
    I have a book by very famous British photographer David Bailey often showing Full Frame Plus. And those famous Hasselblad "V" knocks.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

More SF Bay Area bridges

Lovely shot, but something is odd to me ... The South Tower looks slightly twisted, and has a curve to it, relative to the North Tower. But it doesn't seem the 'distortion' follows what I expect about being around the lens axis. Optical illusion?

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Lovely shot, but something is odd to me ... The South Tower looks slightly twisted, and has a curve to it, relative to the North Tower. But it doesn't seem the 'distortion' follows what I expect about being around the lens axis. Optical illusion?

G
    I see what you're saying Godfrey, but I think it is an illusion from the curved support cable and camera angle resulting in converging lines. I brought it into photoshop and measured the vertical suspension cables--they are all straight. I like having the film borders in my scans, but perhaps keystone correction is more important in this image

Actually, I meant to amend my last post about scanning after I compared this image to the lab scan. The lab version captured more detail in this particular shot; it had a nice sharpness to it that is not unlike the way my DP3 Merrill files look at 100% (very sharp pixel-level detail), even though the output size was basically the same (23MP but cropped without the frames). The lab uses a Noritsu scanner. My A7rII file here is not as good for pixel peeping, but downsized for web resolutions the two are probably similar. I'll post a "finished" image with the lab scan for comparison.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting about the illusion of distortion. Yes, I agree, it's hard to imagine if all the cables are straight, but the eye can do funny things.

In copy camera scanning, the specific lens being used is a big influence on the results, combined with how good a match it is to the sensor and everything else really. Every setup returns slightly different results, kind of like scanning with film scanners and flatbed scanners too. Basically, once there with a little experience, you just pick whatever poison tastes good and enjoy it.

I've been doing quite a lot of my Polaroid and 6x6 negative scanning with the Hassy 907x in recent weeks. The more experience I get with it, the better the results seem to get. I've got a fairly good feel for the setup and process now, using the Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm. I'm exploring using my Hasselblad V lenses for this purpose too, preliminary results puts them on par or better than the Leica lens in this use.

It's fun stuff...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good Morning Dave!

Yes, I am the early riser for sure.
    Got use to it when I was a mom + college student + business owner.
    The only time of the day I could do my homework was at 4am!
    Love hearing the birdies singing at daybreak; absolutely my favorite time of the day.

I just ordered the new Ektachrome 100 and look forward to shooting it.
    Glad you like the photo and hope it inspires you to shoot wherever you are.

I sold off the Mamiya 7II a few years ago and kind of regret it, but the Mamiya 6 came along and made me feel better.
    Take care my friend.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    At this moment I am listening, as always, to the Mockingbirds sing their morning songs. They have an alarm clock somewhere because they seem to be on time every morning. The dark, still of the night will soon be split by the morning light.

With a cup of coffee in hand, the only thing better would be a tripod setup with MF gear attached on-location, somewhere, listening to the local birds.

I am checking the weather forecasts for the next week, looking for the right time to head over to the lake. This morning, I will settle for a few macro images simply because I am unable to leave the house. Film back is ready!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Norway

Name:  scan0006_web.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  598.9 KB

Hasselblad 500C/M, 250mm SA, Velvia 100, Scan with Nikon Coolscan 8000

A tremendously difficult to use lens. The plane of focus is really small, and if you focus a little past infinity, the image will be soft. There is also no hard infinity stop. For that reason, even though the normal Sonnar is quite a lot worse, I still kept it, because it's easier to get consistent results.

When everything works out, the results are fantastic, but it does require a lot of precision.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the lab scans for a couple of these images from my Hasselblad 503cx, shot on Velvia 100F. As I mentioned before, I like prefer the lab scan result for both sharpness and colors, but the difference is not too drastic. I'll note that the difference is more visible on landscape shots like these with large depth of field. Other scans from the lab where I was shooting at f2.8, my A7rII scans were pretty close in terms of resolution.

Also, for this image, I corrected the keystone verticals as discussed earlier and cropped in a bit to eliminate some of the empty space in the sky.

A7rII scan (click for larger):

Gateway by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Noritsu Lab scan:

Gateway by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some Tri-X 400 on the Hasselblad now. These are my scans again--here, my A7rII can capture the same level of detail from this film stock as lab Noritsu scans

Mt. Olympia Hike by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Mt. Olympia Hike by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the lab scans ...
    Have to say, in general I prefer the Sony scans of these.

I've been doing more of my negative and small polaroid print scanning with the Hasselblad 907x setup now, using the same Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens I use with the Leica CL (and before with the Leica SL). The Hassy scans are notable in giving more tonal data compared to the smaller format sensors, which can be important depending upon the negative or print I'm scanning. Detailing between the 24 and 50 Mpixel sensors is close to a wash: It's "measurable but not perceptual" in most cases.

moving off into some ruminations:
    Personally, I suspect that somewhere between 24 and 50 Mpixel is the practical limit of small format film resolution anyway. It's what my calculations of "how many pixels do I need in a digital camera?" indicated way back in 1999 when I first started considering what digital capture camera was going to replace my Nikon F3 and Rolleiflex. I can see the need for more pixels if I were making huge prints, bigger than 20x20 inch area, but even that size is a rare occurrence for me. It was when that size and larger wet lab prints were needed that I found the 6x6 cameras essential, 35mm did fine up to 10x15 inch (about 10x magnification) with a good negative.

Nothing has surfaced in the ensuing 20 years of doing digital photography that has changed my thinking, most everything I've seen reinforces those calculations of many years ago. Quality of sensor capture in terms of how many bits per channel tonal resolution, sensor behavior at the saturation limit, low end noise characteristics, and the sensor match to lens optical systems have all proven to be bigger determinants to digital capture image quality than pixel count once past the 10-12 Mpixel range.

We live now in an era of almost unimaginable photographic equipment nirvana compared to 56 years ago when I started doing photography as a kid.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Godfrey! I agree, there are diminishing returns at this level of resolution--large prints would look great from either process. Same reason why I haven't bothered scanning 6x6 at higher magnification. Although a camera with pixel-shift would be interesting to test.

Batman among the Poppies by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Back to color adventures with some Kodak Portra 160 on Hasselblad 503cx with 80/2.8:

A snack in the shade by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dreaming of travel...especially to Tokyo. This was taken several years ago at a train station, I forget which. Late evening. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD4/28.

Name:  ikebukuru-station-people.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  236.8 KB
    http://Www.deployant.com

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the few scans I made after a couple of decades. Thanks to Dan Lindburg for the Minolta Scan Multi Pro scanner.
    This pic was shot nearly 20 years ago when I visited a close friend Lee,I remember his words that this Harley was an extended model and his price tag was 30000. He sold it to a US buyer a few days after taking this snap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-200622-0001 2.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	150165
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by B L View Post
    This is one of the few scans I made after a couple of decades. Thanks to Dan Lindburg for the Minolta Scan Multi Pro scanner.
    This pic was shot nearly 20 years ago when I visited a close friend Lee,I remember his words that this Harley was an extended model and his price tag was 30000. He sold it to a US buyer a few days after taking this snap.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-200622-0001 2.jpg 
Size:	734.8 KB 
ID:	150165
    Love this!!!!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Coincidentally, I have been dreaming of another motorcycling road trip. It would be possible because social distancing is inherent. Masks and scarves are part of the gear. Camping is wonderful. Meals outdoors are better than a Waffle House. And restrooms....hmmm... well, they present a problem, don't they?

If I had a small camperwith plumbing, and with room for a motorcycle, then I believe a road trip would be a great way to "stay at home".

BL, thanks for your scan, it inspires daydreams for me, if nothing else!
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave, it was a long ago I saw the pic which is now your avatar. I wouldnt mind seeing again. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by B L View Post
    Hi Dave, it was a long ago I saw the pic which is now your avatar. I wouldnt mind seeing again. Thanks.
    Last Ride on my Road King:
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave, Its one of those pics,you see it once and etched permanently in back of your mind. Don Libby showed few with his special effects skills. Ane not too long ago Bill showed one which was a 3D like in desert. Thanks to all. I am more of an admirere of beautifully photographed images but I must admit I am not a good photographer. We have a great "GetDpi" family of photographers here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

still a lovely picture, dave!

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Dweezil Zappa photographed in Frank's old home studio up on Woodrow Wilson Drive in the Hollywood Hills near MulhollandClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dweezil_RGB_1500.jpg 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	150169 - now owned by Lady Gaga - with the fire charred Fender Stratocaster given to him by Jimi Hendrix. Shot on an RZ67 with the 37mm fisheye with cross processed C-41.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Hillman - bass player for the Byrds, co-founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers, founder of the Desert Rose Band among others - photographed upstairs (backstage) at McCabe's Guitar Shop sometime in the spring of '86 for my last class at Art Center College of Design where I set out to photograph as many musicians as possible. Luckily I was able to get some name people at that point. This would have been with an RB67 and Kodak EPN film with his beautiful post war Gibson SJ-200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HillmanMcCabes86_1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	150170
    Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pine Flatwoods & Wiregrass

Cambo Wide + SK Super-Angulon 65/5.6 + FP4 Plus
    website | blog
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Pine Flatwoods & Wiregrass

Cambo Wide + SK Super-Angulon 65/5.6 + FP4 Plus
    Wow! Stunning, Darr!!!

Amazing tones...
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pine Flatwoods & Wiregrass

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Wow! Stunning, Darr!!!

Amazing tones...
    Thank you Dave!

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad 503cx and 80/2.8

Hiking Briones by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Lone bit of shade by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Rock guitarist Tony McAlpine photographed in my old old studio with an RZ and either a 50 or 65mm lens using the ultra rare 6x6 back for that camera. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TonyMcAlpine.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	150203

Post Thanks / Like

Looking For Love in All the Wrong Places. Yep. It's Johnny Lee. Y'know - the one who used to be married to what's her name - the star of Dallas - Charlene Tilton, photographed out at the famous or infamous Vasquez Rocks between L.A and Palmdale, filming location for everything from Star Trek to the Flinstones. This is one that never got used although I did catch Curb Records trying to steal an outtake for a greatest hits release. Made the ****ers pay up. Why in hell did I ever shoot TMY. Worst film Kodak ever made but at least it can be saved in the drum scanner.Name:  JohnnyLeeVasquezRocks.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  163.2 KB
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Velvia on the Old Coast Road in Big Sur. Mamiya 7. Name:  OldCoastRd_11-24-2012.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  390.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

~3hr exposure from 9pm to 12pm (ish)

Zeiss 50mm at f4
    Kodak Portra 160

This was overexposed quite a bit on film, but post-processing in Lightroom helped to even out exposure and colors. This was shot in April, very few planes were flying at the time, so it's a nice opportunity to get clean star trails from my backyard.

I've had some issues with sky gradients in scanning my two latest rolls of Portra that I had developed recently. You can see a bit of mottling/blotches that look a bit like jpeg compression (visible in the tree shot above too). But it comes from the original RAW. I have tried adjusting my WB and scanning multiple times, but it is visible in a lot of shots from these rolls. You can't really see it in the negative because there's not enough contrast. I will try another light source too, but if anyone else has seen this before or has ideas, I'm trying to figure out whether it's my scanning method, the film, or the developer that's the issue.

Star trails on film by Graham Gibson, on Flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alone in the Cathedral. Somewhere in France. Pentax 67, 45mm, Provia, Nikon 9000 scan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAIMG2178-Recovered copy.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	889.4 KB 
ID:	150222  
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gawking at Trees

Cambo Wide + Super-Angulon 65/5.6 + FP4 Plus (Techno Rollex 6x12)

website | blog

Post Thanks / Like

Steep hill by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Sunset over Locked down Athens, Fuji GX617, 90mm, Kodak Portra:

Fuji GX617, 180mm, Kodak Portra:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gcap View Post
    Sunset over Locked down Athens, Fuji GX617, 90mm, Kodak Portra:

Fuji GX617, 180mm, Kodak Portra:

Gorgeous images!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad 503cx, Zeiss 80mm f2.8, Portra 160

Pro hiker by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Into The Woods

Cambo Wide 650 + Techno Rollex 6x12 + FP4 Plus

website | blog
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not an image, but an observation I suspect the regular viewers of this forum will appreciate... I was in Yosemite last week showing some friends the valley for their first time, so it was not a photo expedition for me. Park is reservation entry only, and extremely "open" compared to a normal non-covid summer. A little surprising was the general store, the deli and the Ansel Adams gallery were all open, so we of course went into the gallery to have a look around -- and there sat my surprise. Not only did they have at least 6 different 35mm film offerings available for sale, they had 4 120 options! IIRC, it was Portra 160, T-Max 400, Ilford 400 and Provia. Nothing I recall in chromes however...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous images!!
    Thank you G.!

Post Thanks / Like

Last 3 from this hike. Hasselblad 503cx with 80/2.8 on Portra 160:

Life's rewards by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Trail into the brush by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Back down again by Graham Gibson, on Flickr