Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 152

Thread: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

  1. #51
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Shot on a Wista VX 4x5 technical camera with a Rollei 6x6 film back. Lens shifted between frames and both frame printed/scanned as one image.

    Lovely! A window to the world.
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wild Fairy Iris




    Hasselblad 501CM + 80/2.8 CF + Tri-X + Pyrocat HD



    --

    2018, from my backyard garden.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Senior Member Abstraction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Mamiya 645 Provia 100F

    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Another favorite camera: Horseman SW612. I miss the variety of formats and camera styles with film. Shot on Konica Infrared film.

    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    This has been an interesting thread. What always strikes me about photography is the viewer is always simply dealing with the inherent qualities of the image presented to them. As with the images here or in any history of photography collection, image quality is not comparative: it is solely base on what is presented. While the technical quality of my images have improved with advances in photographic technology, the images themselves are equal in their inherent quality (although I hope I am getting better).

    I am certainly not nostalgic. My digital camera present real advantages--I would never shoot a film faster than ISO 400 and IR photography was not easy with film. There were a host of technical and processing errors that could just ruin the results--no clone tool to save us. Sure I miss certain qualities film emulsions have, but digital images have others that film does not, so it is a wash.

    The thing that drew me to photography was I could walk out into the world and bring back those things I found. You could say photographer are hunters of beauty (although fishermen and -women would probably be more accurate as it recognizes the luck and patience involved). The act is a kind of one pointed meditation on those things around you and outside you. Sure, we bring our own biases and views along with it, but it does not work very well if the reality is not able to support that view.

    We spend a great deal of time talking gear, but that is not what makes me grateful to be a photographer. It is the gifts we return with.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    This has been an interesting thread. What always strikes me about photography is the viewer is always simply dealing with the inherent qualities of the image presented to them. As with the images here or in any history of photography collection, image quality is not comparative: it is solely base on what is presented. While the technical quality of my images have improved with advances in photographic technology, the images themselves are equal in their inherent quality (although I hope I am getting better).
    I enjoy looking at old photography in my spare time; really old stuff made with some of the lenses I long for today. Currently I am revisiting The Photography of Erskine Beveride, Wanderings with a Camera in Scotland. Nothing special some would say, but those that appreciate the inherent qualities of the image presented to them would see maybe why I long to look at this book and many others from a bygone era. I enjoy looking at the architecture, people, and the land, and I try to imagine being the photographer with the gear and film they shot with. I have so much appreciation for their work and abilities.


    I am certainly not nostalgic. My digital camera present real advantages--I would never shoot a film faster than ISO 400 and IR photography was not easy with film. There were a host of technical and processing errors that could just ruin the results--no clone tool to save us. Sure I miss certain qualities film emulsions have, but digital images have others that film does not, so it is a wash.
    A tool is a tool to me. Without my digital cameras, my film photography would not be digitized because scanning was a bit too time consuming, so I stopped doing it for the most part. You are so right about IR film photography. I remember on a trip to Stonehenge one year, I brought a few rolls of IR film and faced a royal hassle going through an international baggage check. I was told to put the IR film in the lead bag I had for my other films by an inspector after explaining to them it would probably not protect it, but nonetheless, I did what I was told. It came out useless thanks to the x-ray machine. The slide film came out perfect so it is not like I have nothing to show for the trip. Today shooting an IR converted mirrorless is so simple compared to our past attempts!

    The thing that drew me to photography was I could walk out into the world and bring back those things I found. You could say photographer are hunters of beauty (although fishermen and -women would probably be more accurate as it recognizes the luck and patience involved). The act is a kind of one pointed meditation on those things around you and outside you. Sure, we bring our own biases and views along with it, but it does not work very well if the reality is not able to support that view.
    I came into photography after I was proficient at illustrating (my initial career was commercial art). The camera made it possible for me to draw moving objects like a cantankerous cat, etc. Then I realized I liked it more than drawing, and so began my journey of chasing light. Then I got hooked on feeling the light and soon found where "awareness" found me. Whether it was a paid job, a teaching demonstration, or just me and my camera, I am hooked on the quiet awareness I can tap into at times, and it shows up as seeing an object's purpose no matter what it is, or seeing how the light sculpts, etc. Whenever I see it, I am grateful.

    We spend a great deal of time talking gear, but that is not what makes me grateful to be a photographer. It is the gifts we return with.
    A great design with an excellent build is what I value in gear. Gear does not make us great photographers, having something to say does. But, when I have a great piece of gear I can depend on, I am most thankful. The digital age has brought some incredible changes to how efficient we can capture what we want to say, but it has never changed what I want to say. I never stopped shooting film because I think a part of me is like a fisherman. I do not eat fish, nor do I care to catch something I would not eat, but I think I understand why some choose to go to the stream or the pond to cast out their line in nature's quiet environment. I think the luck element combined with the patience you speak of above is part of who I am. And yes, I am always grateful for whatever gifts I return with. I am also hooked on looking. Whether it is art or not, I am looking at it.

    Great post Will!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Anne on a 503CX / 80mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img088-Edit-Edit.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	515.6 KB 
ID:	145068
    IG: charlessphoto
    Web: charles-s.com
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Wonderful pictures you all post here !!! Just a humble wish, please state how you scan, while this is very interesting for me, specially if you digitize with a camera, please state the lens used too.
    I am loaning a Zeiss Milvus 100/2 from a friend, and hope to improve my result with the Z7 by that. If I succeed I will certainly buy one. My wife don't completely agree... But for my part compared to the expenses flying several times to Venice, staying at hotels etc., that lens would just be a minor expense judged in a whole view, and could fulfill a longtime dream...(while I do not get to town for scanning)

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Wonderful pictures you all post here !!! Just a humble wish, please state how you scan, while this is very interesting for me, specially if you digitize with a camera, please state the lens used too.
    I am loaning a Zeiss Milvus 100/2 from a friend, and hope to improve my result with the Z7 by that. If I succeed I will certainly buy one. My wife don't completely agree... But for my part compared to the expenses flying several times to Venice, staying at hotels etc., that lens would just be a minor expense judged in a whole view, and could fulfill a longtime dream...(while I do not get to town for scanning)
    Mine are scanned w an Epson V850. I tried the scanning with the camera approach, and came back from it. For context, I often shoot 8x10, and the V850 is good enough. The neg is so big that it lies flat and the dust specs are small in relative terms comapred to MF, and add to the patina. For MF I am only moderately satisfied. It is probably my technique. I stopped 35mm after selling my Pakon
    IG: charlessphoto
    Web: charles-s.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    Mine are scanned w an Epson V850. I tried the scanning with the camera approach, and came back from it. For context, I often shoot 8x10, and the V850 is good enough. The neg is so big that it lies flat and the dust specs are small in relative terms comapred to MF, and add to the patina. For MF I am only moderately satisfied. It is probably my technique. I stopped 35mm after selling my Pakon
    Thanks! so you are not completely satiesfied with the V850 solution on MF, considering both dust and resolution I guess? - while an Epson V850 could be an alternativ for me (although then I had to learn some more software, Silverfast, which could be uphill for me, in the same way as going to town for scans )...
    Last edited by Thorkil; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:16.

  11. #61
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Epson V750 Pro for me. I scan everything from 35mm to 4x5 on it. I simply use the Epson driver and finish in PS.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Fuji G617, Fuji 160NS:


    Kodak Ektar:
    Most interesting photos in Flickr (via Darckr)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Hassy SWC Venice perhaps 2001, just a testshot with Nikon Z7 with Zeiss Milvus 100/2 ZF2 Macro





    Velvia 50 taken with Hasselblad SWC photograph by Nikon Z7 with Zeiss Milvus 100/2 at iso64 1/30 f5 through C1Pro12.1.4



    thorkil
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Digitizing Film with Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Wonderful pictures you all post here !!! Just a humble wish, please state how you scan, while this is very interesting for me, specially if you digitize with a camera, please state the lens used too.
    I am loaning a Zeiss Milvus 100/2 from a friend, and hope to improve my result with the Z7 by that. If I succeed I will certainly buy one. My wife don't completely agree... But for my part compared to the expenses flying several times to Venice, staying at hotels etc., that lens would just be a minor expense judged in a whole view, and could fulfill a longtime dream...(while I do not get to town for scanning)
    Hi Thorkil,

    I have used various cameras and lenses depending upon what was going on at the moment as space has been an issue for me. I have an Epson V700, and the Microtek ArtixScan film scanners: 120tf and 1800f, but I no longer use these tools as I have found a better solution that works for me through the cameras I possess.

    In my studio I have always had a copy stand made for 35mm cameras, and I have used this with my X-Pro2 + Zeiss Touit 50/2 macro and X100T for shooting individual film frames and making contact sheets.

    Because I shoot medium format and 4x5" film, I wanted more for these formats so I purchased this copy stand made for medium format cameras a couple of years ago. I use it with a Hasselblad Flexbody + 120 CFi macro lens + CFV-50c and also an ALPA TC + SK 120 M lens + P45. One back is CMOS and the other is CCD. Is there a difference? I am not commenting about that yet, but with each different setup, a different program must be used, either Phocus or Capture One, and extension tubes are necessary.

    I am liking my medium format setup, but still use the smaller setup when I need a quick contact sheet. My priorities with digitizing film is with printing and cataloging, and the medium format does very well for me. The Fuji X-Pro2 also prints beautifully for prints up to 17x22", and I could probably push the files further through my ImagePrint setup, but I do not want to ship anything larger than 17x22".

    I am active on the large format forum and have been asked by other photographers there to share my findings, which I will after I spend more time doing what needs to get done before I commit to writing.

    Use whatever gear you have available; just do it!

    Kind regards,
    Darr


    --

    PS: The Sisters negative was digitized with the Flexbody + CFV-50c. Nautilus #3 and Wild Fairy Iris were digitized with the Fuji X-Pro2.
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #65
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Darr, do you use your copy setup with color negative film? And if so, how does it deal with the orange integral mask in color negative material? Do you have a hard time with color? Of course, I could not be so lazy and try myself, but if you have already been there...

    I am thinking my Pentax 645D and 120mm macro might be a good solution.

  16. #66
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Darr, do you use your copy setup with color negative film? And if so, how does it deal with the orange integral mask in color negative material? Do you have a hard time with color? Of course, I could not be so lazy and try myself, but if you have already been there...

    I am thinking my Pentax 645D and 120mm macro might be a good solution.

    I am thinking you have a great setup, Will.

    I use Negative Lab Pro (NLP) for color negatives and it works well!
    There is a Facebook group for NLP if you want to see what others do with it.

    The only somewhat challenge I face sometimes is with chrome contrast (slides).
    But, if it was easy, I would probably not enjoy it as much.

    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Use whatever gear you have available; just do it!
    On that note...
    HereĎs an iPhone shot of a negative on my light table, quickly inverted with Lightroom mobile.

    Name:  0EE3590F-F3EF-417D-A0BC-BF7C3134ADE7.jpeg
Views: 845
Size:  164.6 KB
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Digitizing Film with Cameras

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Thorkil,

    I have used various cameras and lenses depending upon what was going on at the moment as space has been an issue for me. I have an Epson V700, and the Microtek ArtixScan film scanners: 120tf and 1800f, but I no longer use these tools as I have found a better solution that works for me through the cameras I possess.

    In my studio I have always had a copy stand made for 35mm cameras, and I have used this with my X-Pro2 + Zeiss Touit 50/2 macro and X100T for shooting individual film frames and making contact sheets.

    Because I shoot medium format and 4x5" film, I wanted more for these formats so I purchased this copy stand made for medium format cameras a couple of years ago. I use it with a Hasselblad Flexbody + 120 CFi macro lens + CFV-50c and also an ALPA TC + SK 120 M lens + P45. One back is CMOS and the other is CCD. Is there a difference? I am not commenting about that yet, but with each different setup, a different program must be used, either Phocus or Capture One, and extension tubes are necessary.

    I am liking my medium format setup, but still use the smaller setup when I need a quick contact sheet. My priorities with digitizing film is with printing and cataloging, and the medium format does very well for me. The Fuji X-Pro2 also prints beautifully for prints up to 17x22", and I could probably push the files further through my ImagePrint setup, but I do not want to ship anything larger than 17x22".

    I am active on the large format forum and have been asked by other photographers there to share my findings, which I will after I spend more time doing what needs to get done before I commit to writing.

    Use whatever gear you have available; just do it!

    Kind regards,
    Darr


    --

    PS: The Sisters negative was digitized with the Flexbody + CFV-50c. Nautilus #3 and Wild Fairy Iris were digitized with the Fuji X-Pro2.
    Thank you very much for taking your time, Darlene!! I was looking at exactly that Kaiser Copy stand while it takes space with tripod.
    I'm impressed by the sharpness (and your expressions, I must say!) you achieve, also with the "deadly" body like the X-pro2.
    I'm not completely satiesfied with the sharpness of the Milvus testshot, but have to try some more (evening-winter-work while I unfortunately cant shut out the light), perhaps also without glass plate (2mm as used for microscopic work, so it ought to be fine).
    Kind Regards Thorkil
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Thanks! so you are not completely satiesfied with the V850 solution on MF, considering both dust and resolution I guess? - while an Epson V850 could be an alternativ for me (although then I had to learn some more software, Silverfast, which could be uphill for me, in the same way as going to town for scans )...
    Resolution is good enough for me. I don't want files >50mb, which corresponds to the file size i get out of my H3D. It is the dust spotting that kills me, and occasional lack of sharpness.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
    Resolution is good enough for me. I don't want files >50mb, which corresponds to the file size i get out of my H3D. It is the dust spotting that kills me, and occasional lack of sharpness.
    Thank you Charles for your clarification!
    I must admit on my last picture there was a hair and several spots in the water, which C1 managed to remove without noticing it afterwards.
    I would foremost like to carry on in the camera-scanning way, while it seems so easy, and just adjusting in C1 as usual afterwards, is very comfortable for me
    The Milvus lens do a very nice rendering that seems to correspond very well with the Biogon Zeiss lens on the SWC. The Nikkor Z50S seems sharper but harsh, lacks the refinement and soft-sharpness mood of the Milvus (and cutting 80% away in the picture is too much)

  21. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!



    Selina, Pentax 67, 105
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #72
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:

  23. #73
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Ah, gcap is back...

    As the rain poured outside our little home this November morning, I awoke feeling exhausted from the stresses of life, as usual. Opening the forum to see other glimpses of the world by others, I was delighted to see more of your beautiful colors posted. Inspiration has arrived on my doorstep once again, I simply must open the door.

    Thank you for sharing! It .
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Hasselblad 503cxi
    80mm 2.8:
    Attachment 144870
    Great shot, Dave!

  25. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Great thread!

    Some from my Rolleiflex and expired Tmax (posted before in other forums/threads):













    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #76
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Great shot, Dave!
    Haha! You should know... you were the photographer, not me, for this one! I was merely doing what you told me.

    I do miss my 503, though. Maybe one day down the road.

    Btw, my cousin visited weeks ago and brought me a nice 18"x18" print of that image. Now to save up for framing it. Can't wait!
    Last edited by dave.gt; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:18.
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Haha! You should know... you were the photographer, not me, for this one! I was merely doing what you told me.

    I do miss my 503, though. Maybe one day down the road.

    Btw, my cousin visited weeks ago and brought me nice 18"x18" print of that image. Now to save up for framing it. Can't wait!
    I'm glad it looks like it turned out. That was my first time shooting with your 503 if I recall. I wish you still had it too!!

    I think I need to start looking for a V system. Really interested in that new digi back that fits to them, as well as film backs of course (on topic with thread )
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #78
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I'm glad it looks like it turned out. That was my first time shooting with your 503 if I recall. I wish you still had it too!!

    I think I need to start looking for a V system. Really interested in that new digi back that fits to them, as well as film backs of course (on topic with thread )
    Dante... where are you?

    Hmmm... let me introduce you to Ken Doo. I heard that he might have a direct line to Dante. or was it Graham? Or Dave? Or John? Or...?
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Venice, long time ago..





    Hasselblad SWC with Velvia 50 scanned with Nikon Z7 with 50/1.8S 71% crop through C1pro12.1.4win



    thorkil
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    More Rolleiflex and expired T-Max (developed in Xtol). Just some trees in my yard on a foggy day.













    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Mamiya 7II, 43mm, Kodak Portra:

  32. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    just some short and perhaps too hasty evaluation on the Zeiss Milvus 100/2 macro compared to the non-macro Nikon Z 50/1.8 S, only based upon few shots of my Velvia slides, and therefore unfair perhaps, but nevertheless.
    The Nikon 50/1.8S seems so much sharper than the Zeiss, and actually extremely sharp it seems (though a bit harsh, so you have to turn contrast and sharpening almost drastically down, and not adding clarity at all) and with a better dynamic range (better resolves the resolution in the shadows hidden in the Velvia). But the colours from the Zeiss is just spot on, and matches the Biogon-Velvia colours simply just perfect.
    So even I has to cut away 70-80% of the pictures taken with the Z 50/1.8 S it still manage to give me sort of acceptable pictures. But the colours from the 50S is just awfull to correct to look like the Velvia slides...(so Lord give me the colours and gentle way to draw transitions from the Zeiss combined with dynamic range and sharpness from the 50S...)..but looking at the screen, where I can count the beems in the dark, dark ceiling, and see how these details get lost to the jpeg, it can't compete with the old analog prints either
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    73

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Great thread!

    Some from my Rolleiflex and expired Tmax (posted before in other forums/threads):













    Even today, I still marvel at the tones...
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #84
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!



    Horseman SW612 with 55mm Grandagon. That was such a great camera.

    BTW, the float, Mikoshi, weighs 2.5 tonnes. They are carrying it down a flight of steps. At the bottom, they will bring it up again.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #85
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Culver City, Ca.
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Got an email a couple of days ago from someone looking for an image I made back in '92 for use in a documentary video. Weirdly, it was one that I never scanned or printed and yet they had a low res shitty scan for recognizing that particular frame. So I dug it up and scanned it and here it is. Two of the, well, let's just cut to the chase - the two best songwriters Texas ever produced - Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully we'll come to a reasonable usage agreement. I think we will. Shot on an RZ on Plus-X Pan Professional and lit with two Norman 400 B's into a well used Balcar 1.7 m umbrella.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 20 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:

  37. #87
    Senior Member Abstraction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Mamiya 645 Provia 100F


    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #88
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by pfigen View Post
    Got an email a couple of days ago from someone looking for an image I made back in '92 for use in a documentary video. Weirdly, it was one that I never scanned or printed and yet they had a low res shitty scan for recognizing that particular frame. So I dug it up and scanned it and here it is. Two of the, well, let's just cut to the chase - the two best songwriters Texas ever produced - Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully we'll come to a reasonable usage agreement. I think we will. Shot on an RZ on Plus-X Pan Professional and lit with two Norman 400 B's into a well used Balcar 1.7 m umbrella.

    I listen to Townes almost daily in my favorites mix via amazon music.
    Like so many music legends, a real tragedy for us that loved him. 😢

    Best regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

  39. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Goodman Zone
    Mamiya 50mm f/6.3
    Kodak Portra 160NC

    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Culver City, Ca.
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I listen to Townes almost daily in my favorites mix via amazon music.
    Like so many music legends, a real tragedy for us that loved him. 😢

    Best regards,
    Darr
    Yeah. The great ones often time go too soon. All I can say is that that was one day I'll not soon forget, even a quarter century later. Spending time one on one with those two changes your life in ways that are hard to explain. All you can do is hope that some of their greatness rubs off, even for a few minutes. Later that day and it a different direction and location I shot my first pictures of many of Robert Keen. And that night in Fallon, Nevada, all three played and Guy brought out Ramblin' Jack, who rambled appropriately for about 45 minutes. If you listen to Townes enough you soon understand why Dylan went to Austin to seek him out in the early days of Townes' career.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #91
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by pfigen View Post
    Yeah. The great ones often time go too soon. All I can say is that that was one day I'll not soon forget, even a quarter century later. Spending time one on one with those two changes your life in ways that are hard to explain. All you can do is hope that some of their greatness rubs off, even for a few minutes. Later that day and it a different direction and location I shot my first pictures of many of Robert Keen. And that night in Fallon, Nevada, all three played and Guy brought out Ramblin' Jack, who rambled appropriately for about 45 minutes. If you listen to Townes enough you soon understand why Dylan went to Austin to seek him out in the early days of Townes' career.




    Hasselblad 500CM + 50/4 Distagon + Kodak VPS III


    Once when I photographed Ray Charles in his dressing room, I was amazed at the line of workers I had to get through on my way to the door. As I approached, I heard Ray yelling at someone behind the door. Man O' Man, I thought to myself, I really do not want to disturb him, but I have to do what I am getting paid to do, so I knocked hard and heard, "come in." I introduced myself and told him I was there to photograph him before the show with the promoter, and I would be photographing the show and after the show PR shots as well. I grew up listening to his music as my mother was a big jazz fan, so I naturally loved him. If he yelled at me, I would take it, afterall, look at all those people on his payroll I thought to myself. To my surprise, his face lit up with that huge smile and he called me "Darling." He asked me if his shoes matched his suit and I quickly looked and said, "they sure do." He told me to take as much time as I needed and if I needed anything special, just let him know. As the night came to a close he thanked me for being "so professional" and that was one photo shoot I will never forget. Ray was a lot shorter than I imagined and he was such a nice man to me (at least).

    And yes, spending time with Ray Charles and how he treated me, definitely changed me in some way. His energy and kindness were an enormous gift I am forever grateful for.

    I have no clue where the negative is as this is a snapshot made of a print I have. This print is 20-25 years old. Photographed at the Fox Theatre (Atlanta) with a Hasselblad 500cm, 50/4 lens and 70mm VPS III film I would roll into canisters myself. Back then, I did many corporate special events and this event was a private party held at the Fox for a corporation and its clients.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #92
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Billy Bragg, 1989.

    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    777

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    well, drove through the rain to Copenhagen center, Photografica, to collect a new famed Tamron 90 macro (SP f2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD - all those letters),
    just to compare with the Zeiss Milvus 100 macro and the non-macro Nikkor Z50/1.8S,
    well, it did very well - seems an almost fair amount sharper than the Zeis, not 100% with the laid-back colours of the Zeiss but not that bad in both colours and contrast (more than Zeiss) but absolutely more gentle than the Nikkor 50S, more easy to handle.
    So that might be the best choise for now for scanning the Velvia 120 films for the web.
    (sorry for the dust - c1 running out of dust removal-capacity)
    Here is the Tammy:





    Hassy SWC Velvia 50 scannet with Nikon Z7 with Tamron 90/2.8 macro 1:1 VC USD through C1pro12.14



    thorkil
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Fuji G617, Kodak Portra:

  45. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Rava, shot on a Rolleiflex on Tmax 400

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150811_0018.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	818.1 KB 
ID:	145429
    IG: charlessphoto
    Web: charles-s.com
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Harrison Spring, Canada.

    Hasselblad 203FE. Scanned on a Imacon Flextight (see http://xpanscanning.com)

    Name:  MF201911-F08-2-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  544.5 KB
    http://richardman.photo
    XPan Film Scanning http://xpanscanning.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #97
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    8,842
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Some lovely photos in this thread! Thank you all for posting.

    There's a Medium Format/Hasselblad meetup in San Francisco today that I'm attending. I know it's centered mostly around the X1D and (maybe!) a preview of the 907x, but in honor of it I've pulled out the Hasselblad 500CM, loaded a film back, and fitted the Distagon 50mm f/4 lens that I've barely used. It's a beefy machine, but the Wotancraft Easy Rider fits it nicely and makes it easy to walk about with.


    So I'll head up to SF a little early and see what I can see with it. Not carrying any additional film, so just one set of 12 exposures will be the brief from this outing, if I get that many...

    onwards!
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    A very different interpretation from a few minutes away, at Harrison Hot Springs, Canada

    Name:  MF201910-03-F04-Edit.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  315.2 KB

    Hey @Godfrey, I was thinking about going to the SF Hassy event, but decided against it, since it's unlikely I will buy the X1D, and probably not even the CFV 50II....
    http://richardman.photo
    XPan Film Scanning http://xpanscanning.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    8,842
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    It was good. I got to play with the x1d II and 21mm lens, along with the PD tripod. They didnít have any backs or 907x bodies yet, just wishful thinking on my part.

    Fun anyway. I made three or four exposures.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  50. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    One thing nice about the Hasselblad 203FE is that one can use "strange lens". The Petzvar / Petzval lens is pretty cool - it does not cover the format at 10 feet or beyond (vignettes like crazy), but is a a fun toy and killer for certain portrait look. Sort of making a Hassy like a better Holga ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    http://richardman.photo
    XPan Film Scanning http://xpanscanning.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •