The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Thorkil

just some short and perhaps too hasty evaluation on the Zeiss Milvus 100/2 macro compared to the non-macro Nikon Z 50/1.8 S, only based upon few shots of my Velvia slides, and therefore unfair perhaps, but nevertheless.
The Nikon 50/1.8S seems so much sharper than the Zeiss, and actually extremely sharp it seems (though a bit harsh, so you have to turn contrast and sharpening almost drastically down, and not adding clarity at all) and with a better dynamic range (better resolves the resolution in the shadows hidden in the Velvia). But the colours from the Zeiss is just spot on, and matches the Biogon-Velvia colours simply just perfect.
So even I has to cut away 70-80% of the pictures taken with the Z 50/1.8 S it still manage to give me sort of acceptable pictures. But the colours from the 50S is just awfull to correct to look like the Velvia slides...(so Lord give me the colours and gentle way to draw transitions from the Zeiss combined with dynamic range and sharpness from the 50S...)..but looking at the screen, where I can count the beems in the dark, dark ceiling, and see how these details get lost to the jpeg, it can't compete with the old analog prints either

Shashin

Horseman SW612 with 55mm Grandagon. That was such a great camera.

BTW, the float, Mikoshi, weighs 2.5 tonnes. They are carrying it down a flight of steps. At the bottom, they will bring it up again.

pfigen

Got an email a couple of days ago from someone looking for an image I made back in '92 for use in a documentary video. Weirdly, it was one that I never scanned or printed and yet they had a low res shitty scan for recognizing that particular frame. So I dug it up and scanned it and here it is. Two of the, well, let's just cut to the chase - the two best songwriters Texas ever produced - Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully we'll come to a reasonable usage agreement. I think we will. Shot on an RZ on Plus-X Pan Professional and lit with two Norman 400 B's into a well used Balcar 1.7 m umbrella.

Attachments

darr

Got an email a couple of days ago from someone looking for an image I made back in '92 for use in a documentary video. Weirdly, it was one that I never scanned or printed and yet they had a low res shitty scan for recognizing that particular frame. So I dug it up and scanned it and here it is. Two of the, well, let's just cut to the chase - the two best songwriters Texas ever produced - Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt. Hopefully we'll come to a reasonable usage agreement. I think we will. Shot on an RZ on Plus-X Pan Professional and lit with two Norman 400 B's into a well used Balcar 1.7 m umbrella.

I listen to Townes almost daily in my favorites mix via amazon music.
Like so many music legends, a real tragedy for us that loved him. 😢

Best regards,
Darr

pfigen

I listen to Townes almost daily in my favorites mix via amazon music.
Like so many music legends, a real tragedy for us that loved him. 😢

Best regards,
Darr
Yeah. The great ones often time go too soon. All I can say is that that was one day I'll not soon forget, even a quarter century later. Spending time one on one with those two changes your life in ways that are hard to explain. All you can do is hope that some of their greatness rubs off, even for a few minutes. Later that day and it a different direction and location I shot my first pictures of many of Robert Keen. And that night in Fallon, Nevada, all three played and Guy brought out Ramblin' Jack, who rambled appropriately for about 45 minutes. If you listen to Townes enough you soon understand why Dylan went to Austin to seek him out in the early days of Townes' career.

darr

Yeah. The great ones often time go too soon. All I can say is that that was one day I'll not soon forget, even a quarter century later. Spending time one on one with those two changes your life in ways that are hard to explain. All you can do is hope that some of their greatness rubs off, even for a few minutes. Later that day and it a different direction and location I shot my first pictures of many of Robert Keen. And that night in Fallon, Nevada, all three played and Guy brought out Ramblin' Jack, who rambled appropriately for about 45 minutes. If you listen to Townes enough you soon understand why Dylan went to Austin to seek him out in the early days of Townes' career.

Hasselblad 500CM + 50/4 Distagon + Kodak VPS III

Once when I photographed Ray Charles in his dressing room, I was amazed at the line of workers I had to get through on my way to the door. As I approached, I heard Ray yelling at someone behind the door. Man O' Man, I thought to myself, I really do not want to disturb him, but I have to do what I am getting paid to do, so I knocked hard and heard, "come in." I introduced myself and told him I was there to photograph him before the show with the promoter, and I would be photographing the show and after the show PR shots as well. I grew up listening to his music as my mother was a big jazz fan, so I naturally loved him. If he yelled at me, I would take it, afterall, look at all those people on his payroll I thought to myself. To my surprise, his face lit up with that huge smile and he called me "Darling." He asked me if his shoes matched his suit and I quickly looked and said, "they sure do." He told me to take as much time as I needed and if I needed anything special, just let him know. As the night came to a close he thanked me for being "so professional" and that was one photo shoot I will never forget. Ray was a lot shorter than I imagined and he was such a nice man to me (at least).

And yes, spending time with Ray Charles and how he treated me, definitely changed me in some way. His energy and kindness were an enormous gift I am forever grateful for.

I have no clue where the negative is as this is a snapshot made of a print I have. This print is 20-25 years old. Photographed at the Fox Theatre (Atlanta) with a Hasselblad 500cm, 50/4 lens and 70mm VPS III film I would roll into canisters myself. Back then, I did many corporate special events and this event was a private party held at the Fox for a corporation and its clients.

Kind regards,
Darr

Thorkil

well, drove through the rain to Copenhagen center, Photografica, to collect a new famed Tamron 90 macro (SP f2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD - all those letters),
just to compare with the Zeiss Milvus 100 macro and the non-macro Nikkor Z50/1.8S,
well, it did very well - seems an almost fair amount sharper than the Zeis, not 100% with the laid-back colours of the Zeiss but not that bad in both colours and contrast (more than Zeiss) but absolutely more gentle than the Nikkor 50S, more easy to handle.
So that might be the best choise for now for scanning the Velvia 120 films for the web.
(sorry for the dust - c1 running out of dust removal-capacity)
Here is the Tammy:

Hassy SWC Velvia 50 scannet with Nikon Z7 with Tamron 90/2.8 macro 1:1 VC USD through C1pro12.14

thorkil

Godfrey

Some lovely photos in this thread! Thank you all for posting. :D

There's a Medium Format/Hasselblad meetup in San Francisco today that I'm attending. I know it's centered mostly around the X1D and (maybe!) a preview of the 907x, but in honor of it I've pulled out the Hasselblad 500CM, loaded a film back, and fitted the Distagon 50mm f/4 lens that I've barely used. It's a beefy machine, but the Wotancraft Easy Rider fits it nicely and makes it easy to walk about with.

So I'll head up to SF a little early and see what I can see with it. Not carrying any additional film, so just one set of 12 exposures will be the brief from this outing, if I get that many... :)

onwards!
G

richardman

A very different interpretation from a few minutes away, at Harrison Hot Springs, Canada

MF201910-03-F04-Edit.jpg

Hey @Godfrey, I was thinking about going to the SF Hassy event, but decided against it, since it's unlikely I will buy the X1D, and probably not even the CFV 50II....

Godfrey

It was good. I got to play with the x1d II and 21mm lens, along with the PD tripod. They didn’t have any backs or 907x bodies yet, just wishful thinking on my part.

Fun anyway. I made three or four exposures. :)

G

richardman

One thing nice about the Hasselblad 203FE is that one can use "strange lens". The Petzvar / Petzval lens is pretty cool - it does not cover the format at 10 feet or beyond (vignettes like crazy), but is a a fun toy and killer for certain portrait look. Sort of making a Hassy like a better Holga ;-)

Attachments