The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Photon42

Some lovely photos in this thread! Thank you all for posting. :D

There's a Medium Format/Hasselblad meetup in San Francisco today that I'm attending. I know it's centered mostly around the X1D and (maybe!) a preview of the 907x, but in honor of it I've pulled out the Hasselblad 500CM, loaded a film back, and fitted the Distagon 50mm f/4 lens that I've barely used. It's a beefy machine, but the Wotancraft Easy Rider fits it nicely and makes it easy to walk about with.

So I'll head up to SF a little early and see what I can see with it. Not carrying any additional film, so just one set of 12 exposures will be the brief from this outing, if I get that many... :)

onwards!
G
One camera, one film :grin: If you are in the mood to photograph your Hassy in its Rider, I would greatly appreciate that. Was more than once on the fence of getting an Easy Rider from WC, but never actually made it.
Ivo

Thorkil

One thing nice about the Hasselblad 203FE is that one can use "strange lens". The Petzvar / Petzval lens is pretty cool - it does not cover the format at 10 feet or beyond (vignettes like crazy), but is a a fun toy and killer for certain portrait look. Sort of making a Hassy like a better Holga ;-)
I sold my 203FE together with the splendid PME 51 and the 110/2 Planar for nothing, the most stupid thing I have done..kept the 50FE/2.8 distagon, a wonderfull lens...(but no camera to put it on..)..so if anyone got such a package to part with, for a tiny bit more than nothing...I guess one can not put an 50/2.8FE on a X1DII? (perhaps this https://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/xv-lens-adapter/ ???) abd then it turn to non-wide lens I guess.
Godfrey have you still got the link to where I can calculate the focal equivalence to 35format of the 203FE+50FE ???

Last edited:

gnuyork

Some lovely photos in this thread! Thank you all for posting. :D

There's a Medium Format/Hasselblad meetup in San Francisco today that I'm attending. I know it's centered mostly around the X1D and (maybe!) a preview of the 907x, but in honor of it I've pulled out the Hasselblad 500CM, loaded a film back, and fitted the Distagon 50mm f/4 lens that I've barely used. It's a beefy machine, but the Wotancraft Easy Rider fits it nicely and makes it easy to walk about with.

So I'll head up to SF a little early and see what I can see with it. Not carrying any additional film, so just one set of 12 exposures will be the brief from this outing, if I get that many... :)

onwards!
G
Nice set up. I just bought a 500C/M with Sonnor 180 (have an 80 on the way too) and looking forward to using it. I also want a 50. My plan if budget allows (and it makes sense) is to one day pair it with the new digi back. But for now I'll enjoy shooting and scanning (thanks to you) film.

Would love some opinions on the 907x if you get to see it.

TimoK

I guess one can not put an 50/2.8FE on a X1DII? (perhaps this https://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/xv-lens-adapter/ ???) abd then it turn to non-wide lens I guess.
Godfrey have you still got the link to where I can calculate the focal equivalence to 35format of the 203FE+50FE ???
Not Godfrey, but here is one calculator https://scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html#top
You have to write sensor width and height in landscape format or it counts nonsense.

Hausen

I generally shoot Street Art in cities I visit with one of my film cameras. Primarily either the Fuji GF670W or my Leica M6ti. This was the Fuji loaded with Fuji Pro400h. Was handy being a 400ASA film for this shot in a Motorway tunnel. PS, not sure why it rendered so dull?

Attachments

Last edited:

Godfrey

One camera, one film :grin: If you are in the mood to photograph your Hassy in its Rider, I would greatly appreciate that. Was more than once on the fence of getting an Easy Rider from WC, but never actually made it.
It's a very nice bag for this purpose, the camera as pictured above fit into it with room to spare. I also had a 12 oz bottle of drinking water in the main compartment, a bunch of little bits in the front pocket, and there was still plenty of stuff space ... I hadn't expanded the bag to its full capacity at all.

Nice set up. I just bought a 500C/M with Sonnor 180 (have an 80 on the way too) and looking forward to using it. I also want a 50. My plan if budget allows (and it makes sense) is to one day pair it with the new digi back. But for now I'll enjoy shooting and scanning (thanks to you) film.

Would love some opinions on the 907x if you get to see it.
Sadly, they're not ready to show the 907x/CFV50cII camera yet so there were none there. But the fact that I can use the back interchangeably with the 500C/M body is one of the reasons that the 907x Special Edition is worth the expense to me.

Not Godfrey, but here is one calculator https://scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html#top
You have to write sensor width and height in landscape format or it counts nonsense.
I used Rui Salgueiro's field-of-view calculator to develop my own field of view equivalence charts. I use the standard 6x6 setting for the Hassy 500CM, and custom format sets for square formats on the APS-C (16x16 mm), the 35mm (24x24 mm), and the 907x/CFV50cII (33x33 mm) to generate FoVs for all my lenses, then integrate the output with a spreadsheet.

G

drunkenspyder

well, drove through the rain to Copenhagen center, Photografica, to collect a new famed Tamron 90 macro (SP f2.8 Di Macro 1:1 VC USD - all those letters),
just to compare with the Zeiss Milvus 100 macro and the non-macro Nikkor Z50/1.8S,
well, it did very well - seems an almost fair amount sharper than the Zeis, not 100% with the laid-back colours of the Zeiss but not that bad in both colours and contrast (more than Zeiss) but absolutely more gentle than the Nikkor 50S, more easy to handle.
So that might be the best choise for now for scanning the Velvia 120 films for the web.
(sorry for the dust - c1 running out of dust removal-capacity)
Here is the Tammy:

Hassy SWC Velvia 50 scannet with Nikon Z7 with Tamron 90/2.8 macro 1:1 VC USD through C1pro12.14[/CENTER]
thorkil
Love the tones in this.

gnuyork

Sadly, they're not ready to show the 907x/CFV50cII camera yet so there were none there. But the fact that I can use the back interchangeably with the 500C/M body is one of the reasons that the 907x Special Edition is worth the expense to me.
Bummer. I must admit, I'm very interested in the 907 set up... One of the reasons I just got the 500C/M is to eventually get the CFV back for it and have the best of both film and digital worlds. Plus, it's a very inspiring to look at set up. I shot my first few frames yesterday on the 500 and it was a treat.

A 907 would be nice too for the smaller mirrorless set up. Is the special edition the all black one? If so, I'd prefer the chrome bling to match the 500 :grin: