Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 301 to 350 of 380

Thread: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

  1. #301
    Member mristuccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Lovely Marco!!
    Darlene, thank you for your kind words!

    Your film photographs are beautiful and delicate. I noticed you're using (or used) Pyrocat HD. Being very interested in the smooth tonalities it gives to the images I've seen on internet, I have started using it right now. If I can ask, how do you use it? Do you run a stand/semi-stand development or the normal development times? And which A/B solution mix?

    Thanks in advance,
    m/
    Last edited by mristuccia; 23rd February 2020 at 01:48.
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."

  2. #302
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,052
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    81

    Re: County Road 59

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post




    Hasselblad 501CM + 80/2.8 CF + 400TX + Pyrocat HD
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8



    Ah, that is gorgeous, Darr!

    Everything about it, composition, tonality... simply beautiful.
    Dave (GT)

  3. #303
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by mristuccia View Post
    Darlene, thank you for your kind words!

    Your film photographs are beautiful and delicate. I noticed you're using (or used) Pyrocat HD. Being very interested in the smooth tonalities it gives to the images I've seen on internet, I have started using it right now. If I can ask, how do you use it? Do you run a stand/semi-stand development or the normal development times? And which A/B solution mix?

    Thanks in advance,
    m/
    Thank you for your kind words Marco.

    I pretty much do a stand development these days. My chemistry has changed over the years for simplicity reasons. I currently use Photographer’s Formulary’s Pyrocat HD in liquid form.

    I mix 1:100, as an example for two rolls of 120, I mix 10 ml developer + 990 ml filtered water. That would be 5 ml “A” and 5 ml “B” chemistry. I stopped buying distilled water and use the water from my Berkey filter system.

    I pre-rinse my film for five minutes to remove the anti-halation layer. Then pour in the developer at 20 C degrees, and agitate for 30 seconds. Then for the next three minutes, I agitate 10 seconds for each minute. Then it sits for an hour.

    Then I empty the developer (I never reuse developer), and rinse with water for 30 seconds as my stop bath. Then fix for four minutes (I reuse fixer until cloudy). Then a final wash for five minutes and hang to dry.

    I do this all from memory, but use a timer for the agitation. I have used various tank/reel systems over the years and prefer Paterson for its little spindle for agitation use.

    Everyone does their own thing with chemistry. I disliked darkroom duties the most in film photography, but I prefer developing my own black and white film and have chiseled it down to something I can tolerate. I buy all my chemistry from Photographer’s Formulary and have used some dangerous stuff over the years. I always wear gloves and gave up using the chemicals that smoked when mixed. Today I have settled on the premixed Pyrocat HD liquid formula and have had no issues with it.

    Hope this helps!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  4. #304
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: County Road 59

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Ah, that is gorgeous, Darr!

    Everything about it, composition, tonality... simply beautiful.
    Thank you Dave!
    If I can bring you an ounce of joy from viewing my work, my day has been blessed! Wishing you well always. ❤️

    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #305
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Webster Falls in Winter, Horizont Panoramic, T-Max 5052, Epson V700, Vuescan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebsterFalls_winter~1995.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	147563
    Another "larger than FF" 35mm (24x58mm) shot...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #306
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: County Road 59

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you Dave!
    If I can bring you an ounce of joy from viewing my work, my day has been blessed! Wishing you well always. ❤️

    Darr
    Darr,

    You bring a lot of us joy from viewing your work. Dave often puts into words what many of us are feeling.

    Matt
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #307
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: County Road 59

    Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Darr,

    You bring a lot of us joy from viewing your work. Dave often puts in words what many of us are thinking.

    Matt
    Thank you Matt! You are so kind to say that.
    I am grateful for this forum and for contributing members such as yourself. Not all forums are created equal.

    I just read your post regarding your thoughts on letting go of FF gear. I did that a few years ago after I started shooting Fuji APS-C. Once I realized my FF Nikon sat unused for over a year bc I was shooting MF and APS-C only, I sold it all off except for a couple of favorite lenses I use with the Fuji bodies. I have never regretted it. Just a thought.

    Best to you,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #308
    Member mristuccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thank you for your kind words Marco.

    I pretty much do a stand development these days. My chemistry has changed over the years for simplicity reasons. I currently use Photographer’s Formulary’s Pyrocat HD in liquid form.

    I mix 1:100, as an example for two rolls of 120, I mix 10 ml developer + 990 ml filtered water. That would be 5 ml “A” and 5 ml “B” chemistry. I stopped buying distilled water and use the water from my Berkey filter system.

    I pre-rinse my film for five minutes to remove the anti-halation layer. Then pour in the developer at 20 C degrees, and agitate for 30 seconds. Then for the next three minutes, I agitate 10 seconds for each minute. Then it sits for an hour.

    Then I empty the developer (I never reuse developer), and rinse with water for 30 seconds as my stop bath. Then fix for four minutes (I reuse fixer until cloudy). Then a final wash for five minutes and hang to dry.

    I do this all from memory, but use a timer for the agitation. I have used various tank/reel systems over the years and prefer Paterson for its little spindle for agitation use.

    Everyone does their own thing with chemistry. I disliked darkroom duties the most in film photography, but I prefer developing my own black and white film and have chiseled it down to something I can tolerate. I buy all my chemistry from Photographer’s Formulary and have used some dangerous stuff over the years. I always wear gloves and gave up using the chemicals that smoked when mixed. Today I have settled on the premixed Pyrocat HD liquid formula and have had no issues with it.

    Hope this helps!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Darr,

    thank you very much for this very detailed description of your process!

    I've used Pyrocat HD two times so far, but with a regular development process.
    I did stand-development with Rodinal very often, and your times/process are similar to my ones. Will try with Pyrocat HD very soon...

    Best,
    marco
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #309
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: County Road 59

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I just read your post regarding your thoughts on letting go of FF gear. I did that a few years ago after I started shooting Fuji APS-C. Once I realized my FF Nikon sat unused for over a year bc I was shooting MF and APS-C only, I sold it all off except for a couple of favorite lenses I use with the Fuji bodies. I have never regretted it. Just a thought.

    Best to you,
    Darr
    +1: I did exactly that step, and kept all my Canon lenses to use them now on Sony APS-C. For "more serious" shots I use my MF gear.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #310
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Back to images

    Hasselblad 500 CM / Planar 80mm / Ilford Delta 100 / Nikon Coolscan 8000

    Name:  Scan-120820-0005.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  94.1 KB
    Likes 15 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #311
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Finally got the Jobo up, to get through my backlog of old rolls I just never got around to developing.



    Mamiya 6 | 150mm | Acros 100 | Xtol 1:1 | V850
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #312
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Distant Giants




    HASSELBLAD 501CM + 80/2.8 CF + Kodak 400TX


    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #313
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Mamiya RZ67 | 110mm | Acros 100 | XTOL 1:1 - 8 min @ 20°C

    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #314
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Qamaro View Post
    Mamiya RZ67 | 110mm | Acros 100 | XTOL 1:1 - 8 min @ 20°C

    Love, Love, LOVE it!
    I am a big fan of the art movement, Suprematism, and this fills me up in a good way!!

    Keep on keeping on!
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #315
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    10,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2574

    Re: Distant Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post



    HASSELBLAD 501CM + 80/2.8 CF + Kodak 400TX


    400TX? Are you sure?

  16. #316
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Distant Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    400TX? Are you sure?
    Hey Jorgen,

    I thought as I posted the info someone might question it. Because I did not load the film on the spool correctly, it suffered uneven development. I decided to layer on a few textures in PS to add color and mood because I like the composition and wanted to save it. I have a history of saving screw ups I like.

    Anyhow, good catch!!
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

  17. #317
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    10,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2574

    Re: Distant Giants

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hey Jorgen,

    I thought as I posted the info someone might question it. Because I did not load the film on the spool correctly, it suffered uneven development. I decided to layer on a few textures in PS to add color and mood because I like the composition and wanted to save it. I have a history of saving screw ups I like.

    Anyhow, good catch!!
    Darr
    I suspected that. Actually, it looks pretty cool, and I like the mood, so good job

  18. #318
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Rollieflex 2.8f | Acros | XTOL 1:1

    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #319
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    The North Transcept, Westminster Abbey. Shot around 25 years ago on Provia with a Horseman EM 5x4, 120 SA lens and a 12 x 6 rollfilm back.

    Back then you could use a tripod in the abbey after 6pm every Tuesday once choir practice had finished.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Westminster Abbey .jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	147680
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #320
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Lovely photos in this thread... !!! Just for fun this morning:


    Hasselblad 500CM Duo ...
    The Big Kids Waiting for Little Brother 907x To Arrive



    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #321
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Graceful Swagger





    CAMBO WIDE + SK 65/5.6 Super Angulon + HP5 (Pyrocat HD)
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8





    --

    Shooting some 120 HP5 from freezer storage. Ugh, the film is curling like no other!
    Anyone else experience this with HP5? I use Tri-X the most, and never have curling.

    Hope everyone is doing well,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 23 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #322
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Graceful Swagger

    Outstanding

    Congrats

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post




    CAMBO WIDE + SK 65/5.6 Super Angulon + HP5 (Pyrocat HD)
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8





    --

    Shooting some 120 HP5 from freezer storage. Ugh, the film is curling like no other!
    Anyone else experience this with HP5? I use Tri-X the most, and never have curling.

    Hope everyone is doing well,
    Darr
    www.friedmanphoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  23. #323
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Graceful Swagger

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenfr View Post
    Outstanding

    Congrats
    Thank you Steven!
    So kind of you!!

    Best,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #324
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,052
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    81

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Darr, once again you brighten my day. I am beginning to think this thread is becoming something very special with so many nice images to view. I have my film backs ready to go with TriX, I just need to get out and go to work. Thanks for inspiring me!!!
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  25. #325
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Darr, once again you brighten my day. I am beginning to think this thread is becoming something very special with so many nice images to view. I have my film backs ready to go with TriX, I just need to get out and go to work. Thanks for inspiring me!!!
    I have you in my thoughts Dave. Atlanta will be getting spring real, real soon. My best girlfriend lives in Acworth and she says y'all been getting buckets of rain lately. I know what happens next, all the flowers and trees will be in bloom! Hope you get some time to go shoot for yourself. I am planning on going to a local state garden this week, Maclay Gardens here in Tallahassee to burn a few rolls with my 501CM. I just love my Hasselblad cameras. Will be challenging myself with the 80/2.8 and Proxars only. I am only taking what fits in my shoulder bag. I might be able to fit the digital back in too.

    Best to you always,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

  26. #326
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    This is from a shoot in Maine at dusk, sunset glow in the forest with the last light of the day. Horseman 617 velvia 50 film. Schneider 180mm lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.friedmanphoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 24 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #327
    Senior Member Grayhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Mamiya 6, 150, some old portra

    Ray

    Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #328
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Another World





    Hasselblad 501CM + (80/2.8 + Proxar 0.5m) + Kodak TMY (Pyrocat HD)
    Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8

    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #329
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Film, I miss you.
    Don't get me started...
    Agfachrome 1000 for the model, Kodachrome 64 for Caroline
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Giorgio; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:36. Reason: info
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #330
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    9,002
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    darr and all: beautiful photos! Thank you for posting them!

    I still have a roll of 120 Hasselblad film sitting here waiting to be scanned. Events of the past couple of weeks really put me off kilter, along with the arrival of the new Hasselblad 907x/CFVII 50c kit—I've been putting most of my photographic energy into exploring the latter (... and it's terrific!).

    Miss film? No, not me. I don't have to miss it because now I can swap between film and digital by just swapping the back on the same camera ... all upside! As long as XP2 Super and Tri-X 120 exist, I'm fine.

    I've also been waiting on that scan because I have a pledge in on the 120 scanning carrier that I saw a month or two back... That's going to make the scanning exercise SO much easier to deal with, and produce higher quality results. The campaign just closed, it's all paid for now, so it's just the wait for product to be delivered.

    I look forward to many more years of medium format in film *and* digital capture...

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #331
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Skier Sunray Copy Box II




    What I use to digitize my film: the Skier Sunray Copy Box II



    Because I scan film from 4x5” to 135, I need a versatile film sizing system. The most challenging film size I scan is my 6x17 film, especially hard if the film curls. I use a Microtek 120 film strip holder from an old scanner for the 6x17 and 6x12 films.

    Before using the Skier Sunray Box, I used a LCD lightbox made for tracing, and various film holders from a scanner and film enlarger. The brightness of the Skier Sunray Box is worth its price when compared to the former lightbox brightness.

    With the Sunray Box I can quickly digitize a 120 roll, but with the 6x12 and 6x17 formats, it requires using the Microtek strip film holder. I do use the film strip holder with the Sunray Box, but it takes more time to do so.

    Overall I am very happy with my setup!
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #332
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    789

    Re: Skier Sunray Copy Box II

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post



    What I use to digitize my film: the Skier Sunray Copy Box II



    Because I scan film from 4x5” to 135, I need a versatile film sizing system. The most challenging film size I scan is my 6x17 film, especially hard if the film curls. I use a Microtek 120 film strip holder from an old scanner for the 6x17 and 6x12 films.

    Before using the Skier Sunray Box, I used a LCD lightbox made for tracing, and various film holders from a scanner and film enlarger. The brightness of the Skier Sunray Box is worth its price when compared to the former lightbox brightness.

    With the Sunray Box I can quickly digitize a 120 roll, but with the 6x12 and 6x17 formats, it requires using the Microtek strip film holder. I do use the film strip holder with the Sunray Box, but it takes more time to do so.

    Overall I am very happy with my setup!
    Darr
    Thank you Darlene, this looks like a very helpfull and easy way to get it done, I might just order one at once.
    And glad you also finds the PME51 easy to focus with (the CFV II thread)
    By the way ANYONE got a Hassy 110/2 FE to part with at a affordable reach ?????? (I miss it so much...!)
    KR Thorkil
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #333
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    150

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!



    This is the Dai-Butsu (Great Buddha) in Todai temple in Nara, Japan. The largest bronze statue and wooden structure in the country, if not the world--I will let you Google that.

    Taken with one of my favorite cameras--the Horseman SW612 with the 55mm Grandagon. I am not sure I miss film per se. It is a bit of a pain to process and travel with. You kind of forget how much the stuff weighs and space it takes up, especially with a camera that get 12 images a roll. It certainly was not a sophisticated camera--a optical viewfinder where the mask was designed to compensate for the barrel distortion (but beautiful to look through), guestimation focusing, manual aperture and shutter speed, and you had to release and advance the frame and cock the shutter with each shot.

    But the camera and format was just so fun to use. For the most part, I used it handheld--the viewfinder had a level, making that easier. A while unusual, people seemed to be comfortable around it.
    Will

    http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #334
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    789

    Re: Skier Sunray Copy Box II

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post



    What I use to digitize my film: the Skier Sunray Copy Box II



    Because I scan film from 4x5” to 135, I need a versatile film sizing system. The most challenging film size I scan is my 6x17 film, especially hard if the film curls. I use a Microtek 120 film strip holder from an old scanner for the 6x17 and 6x12 films.

    Before using the Skier Sunray Box, I used a LCD lightbox made for tracing, and various film holders from a scanner and film enlarger. The brightness of the Skier Sunray Box is worth its price when compared to the former lightbox brightness.

    With the Sunray Box I can quickly digitize a 120 roll, but with the 6x12 and 6x17 formats, it requires using the Microtek strip film holder. I do use the film strip holder with the Sunray Box, but it takes more time to do so.

    Overall I am very happy with my setup!
    Darr
    but Darlene, just a thought, if I'm only in for 120 film, (perhaps 35 later on), and sometimes have to cut for single pictures (when old stiff filmrolls - yes my fault! - have to get into a Hasselblad Photoscanner), then perhaps it might still be the Digitaliza 120
    https://shop.lomography.com/en/digit...-scanning-mask
    that would be the best solution?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJiT7T1-rWE
    and if still too stiff, then its getting back to the unhandy glass-plate solution..
    kr thorkil

  35. #335
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My Digitizing Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    but Darlene, just a thought, if I'm only in for 120 film, (perhaps 35 later on), and sometimes have to cut for single pictures (when old stiff filmrolls - yes my fault! - have to get into a Hasselblad Photoscanner), then perhaps it might still be the Digitaliza 120
    https://shop.lomography.com/en/digit...-scanning-mask
    that would be the best solution?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJiT7T1-rWE
    and if still too stiff, then its getting back to the unhandy glass-plate solution..
    kr thorkil
    Hi Thorkil,

    I have no experience with that particular film holder, but I did read other photographer experiences with it prior to purchasing what I have. I just published "My Digitizing Tools" on my blog and will follow up in a couple of weeks with how I use these tools. If you can, please read the article and look at the photos of the tools I use to see if it can help you in some way.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

  36. #336
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    789

    Re: My Digitizing Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Hi Thorkil,

    I have no experience with that particular film holder, but I did read other photographer experiences with it prior to purchasing what I have. I just published "My Digitizing Tools" on my blog and will follow up in a couple of weeks with how I use these tools. If you can, please read the article and look at the photos of the tools I use to see if it can help you in some way.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Hi Darlene
    Thank you very much!
    Some very fine equipment you got there!!!
    I did order the 120 and 35 mask already at Lomography (and perhaps do some additional masking with black cartboard on the Kaiser lightbox), but things might be delayed while "Post-Denmark" are storing parcels from abroad in a warehouse (but I'm really more worried how my dear PME51 is doing, though )...hhmmm...Corona is putting everything at a stand still here in Europe. Instead people are singing and playing from their balcony's (in Italy foremost, some Danes are trying to copy, but they lack the Italian anarchistic energy..)...
    So I will just proceed in some very small steps at a time..
    Kind regards Thorkil
    Ps. I've got the same Kaiser copy-stand as you show, for my Z7 + 90 Tamron macro

  37. #337
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: My Digitizing Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Darlene
    Thank you very much!
    Some very fine equipment you got there!!!
    I did order the 120 and 35 mask already at Lomography (and perhaps do some additional masking with black cartboard on the Kaiser lightbox), but things might be delayed while "Post-Denmark" are storing parcels from abroad in a warehouse (but I'm really more worried how my dear PME51 is doing, though )...hhmmm...Corona is putting everything at a stand still here in Europe. Instead people are singing and playing from their balcony's (in Italy foremost, some Danes are trying to copy, but they lack the Italian anarchistic energy..)...
    So I will just proceed in some very small steps at a time..
    Kind regards Thorkil
    Ps. I've got the same Kaiser copy-stand as you show, for my Z7 + 90 Tamron macro
    We are also in a stand still in the US. Schools and businesses closed. Right now it is for two weeks, but it may get extended for two months. I hope your PME51 makes it to you soon. It really is a lovely metered viewfinder. That is a very good copy stand you have, I have used mine for a few years with no problems. Take care and good health!

    Darr
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

  38. #338
    Senior Member JoelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA USA
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    I find that a long piece of AN glass helps to keep the film flat, especially when digitizing my 6x17.

    Joel
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #339
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Darr,

    Thanks for starting a blog on how you've been scanning all of these wonderful images. I dipped my toes into this a few years ago using a jury-rigged system comprising a lightbox meant for viewing slides (it at least has a nice daylight temp fluorescent tube in it), digital camera on tripod (not so great and difficult to set up each time, also easy to knock over), a bubble level, various coins to level the feet of the light box, and 4x5 glass inserts for an Omega negative carrier that I picked up in the loose parts bin at one of the big professional camera stores before they finally threw in the towel and closed down after many decades in business. I got a kick out of seeing the 4x5 Omega D negative carrier in your post. I searched high and low for the 6x6 carrier I picked up some 40 years ago to print in my college's darkroom, to no avail. But seeing your post reminded me of one last place I can look in the garage.

    Anyway, your post inspires me to think about getting a proper copy stand and Skier light box so I can dive back into my archives. One question I have is how flat do the 120 negatives sit in the Skier carrier? And do you think the 4x5 carrier glass fit onto/into the window of the light box?

    Hope you and everyone else here are staying healthy, and keeping a safe distance from one another!

    John

  40. #340
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    789

    Re: My Digitizing Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    We are also in a stand still in the US. Schools and businesses closed. Right now it is for two weeks, but it may get extended for two months. I hope your PME51 makes it to you soon. It really is a lovely metered viewfinder. That is a very good copy stand you have, I have used mine for a few years with no problems. Take care and good health!

    Darr
    Thanks, also, and all of you, take care and look out to stay healthy !!
    kr thorkil
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #341
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Since I've been locked (it's normal since I work from home), so I decided to knock out some to-do mixed some Kodak C41 Flexicolor and got to work on the huge backlog of film I needed to dev [I shoot things in both digital and film so holding off on dev isn't a big deal to me btw]. Sorry to hit you with a triple post in one :-)

    Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP



    Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP



    Rolleiflex 2.8f | 80mm Planar | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP



    Shot the last one on digital a while back, do love the soft tones on the film version though.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #342
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    W. NY, close to Toronto, far from NYC
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Fall in a calmer time. Pentax 67, 35mm fisheye, Velvia.

    2008LOAN1561-Recovered by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #343
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    2,052
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    81

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Fall in a calmer time. Pentax 67, 35mm fisheye, Velvia.

    2008LOAN1561-Recovered by tsjanik47, on Flickr
    Beautiful images here... perfect timing considering the chaos of the pandemic across the globe. Thanks to all for posting!

    I must admit that we have been drawn into the negative frame of mind with all the bad news and fear gripping the world here and everywhere as far as I know. We are especially stressed as you may know.

    This morning, I began thinking about my old Leica M3. I miss it for many reasons. But when we were first struck with devastating medical crises in 2009, even before that, I carried my M3 and X1 with me in my Billingham bag every minute of the day using it for a pillow and personal items including food and clothing for many months in hospital. I rarely used either camera until 2013, when I was well enough myself to think of documenting our journey and expressing our gratitude for a return to something resembling a life instead of a constant dread of death.

    The M3 was not MF, of course, and it was reluctantly sold several years ago, but as we face another health crisis with the pandemic, I realize now how my Leica cameras saved me while I sat in a wooden chair at my wife's bedside for extensive periods of times, without sleep and without food other than what I could get from a vending machine. I realized then how I could use our experiences to provide hope and inspiration as we worked with the hospital on the university campus. And I benefited from the gift of giving to those patients who had achieved so much in recovery and restoration.

    Now, I have another opportunity to deliver ourselves, this time from the gloom and doom of a virus outbreak, actually, a pandemic. This time, a single MF camera and lens will be in my bag with my trusty little X1. Somehow, the presence of my bag gives me comfort and hope.

    Now, what shall I do with it? I do not know, yet. But I will post here as time goes on.

    The journey has begun.

    Edit: it seems appropriate for me to use film this time again. So, 120 film backs in the H camera for some work, will complement the digital images. The Hassy fits in the bag just fine! And... it is still a decent pillow.
    Last edited by dave.gt; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:06.
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #344
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    2,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    789

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Beautiful images here... perfect timing considering the chaos of the pandemic across the globe. Thanks to all for posting!

    I must admit that we have been drawn into the negative frame of mind with all the bad news and fear gripping the world here and everywhere as far as I know. We are especially stressed as you may know.

    This morning, I began thinking about my old Leica M3. I miss it for many reasons. But when we were first struck with devastating medical crises in 2009, even before that, I carried my M3 and X1 with me in my Billingham bag every minute of the day using it for a pillow and personal items including food and clothing for many months in hospital. I rarely used either camera until 2013, when I was well enough myself to think of documenting our journey and expressing our gratitude for a return to something resembling a life instead of a constant dread of death.

    The M3 was not MF, of course, and it was reluctantly sold several years ago, but as we face another health crisis with the pandemic, I realize now how my Leica cameras saved me while I sat in a wooden chair at my wife's bedside for extensive periods of times, without sleep and without food other than what I could get from a vending machine. I realized then how I could use our experiences to provide hope and inspiration as we worked with the hospital on the university campus. And I benefited from the gift of giving to those patients who had achieved so much in recovery and restoration.

    Now, I have another opportunity to deliver ourselves, this time from the gloom and doom of a virus outbreak, actually, a pandemic. This time, a single MF camera and lens will be in my bag with my trusty little X1. Somehow, the presence of my bag gives me comfort and hope.

    Now, what shall I do with it? I do not know, yet. But I will post here as time goes on.

    The journey has begun.

    Edit: it seems appropriate for me to use film this time again. So, 120 film backs in the H camera for some work, will complement the digital images. The Hassy fits in the bag just fine! And... it is still a decent pillow.

    Yes the Corona is somewhat stressing, but on the other hand not, finding time for doing only the necessary shopping at times when the are almost no other people are in the supermarket, and doing walking in the wood where nowhere other people use to come by...and so on, and try to get healthy bored at home.
    But in a totally silly attack from boredom, I just yesterday clicked at a Hasselblad 110/2 FE at KEH, later only to realize it was at a "bargain"-condition, full of scratches I presume, and at a silly high amount considering taxes when arriving at Denmark, the price went beyond reason. I should have asked for one here in the used gear section. But I'm looking forward to see if I remember loading film again...and regain that special look the 110/2 FE deliver...(can't wait..can't wait)(perhaps later on try to find room in the purse for a used X1D version I...and put the FE's on)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #345
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post

    Yes the Corona is somewhat stressing, but on the other hand not, finding time for doing only the necessary shopping at times when the are almost no other people are in the supermarket, and doing walking in the wood where nowhere other people use to come by...and so on, and try to get healthy bored at home.
    But in a totally silly attack from boredom, I just yesterday clicked at a Hasselblad 110/2 FE at KEH, later only to realize it was at a "bargain"-condition, full of scratches I presume, and at a silly high amount considering taxes when arriving at Denmark, the price went beyond reason. I should have asked for one here in the used gear section. But I'm looking forward to see if I remember loading film again...and regain that special look the 110/2 FE deliver...(can't wait..can't wait)(perhaps later on try to find room in the purse for a used X1D version I...and put the FE's on)
    You will love the lens, I'm pretty sure. I like mine a lot.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #346
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    The 2/110 is a wonderful lens - and in my humble opinion best used with a proper 6x6 back
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    But in a totally silly attack from boredom, I just yesterday clicked at a Hasselblad 110/2 FE at KEH, later only to realize it was at a "bargain"-condition, full of scratches I presume, and at a silly high amount considering taxes when arriving at Denmark, the price went beyond reason. I should have asked for one here in the used gear section. But I'm looking forward to see if I remember loading film again...and regain that special look the 110/2 FE deliver...(can't wait..can't wait)(perhaps later on try to find room in the purse for a used X1D version I...and put the FE's on)
    Let us know how it goes. KEH often (but certainly not always) sells equipment that's in better condition than one might assume based on their grading. Plus, the reality is that a few scratches on e.g. the front element is rarely the end of the world in terms of image quality. You might be pleasantly surprised!

    John
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #348
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0009_1_web.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	147977
    Hasselblad 500CM, Planar 80, (Film unknown), Nikon Coolscan 8000
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #349
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Neutral Zone
    Posts
    335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Here is one for Thorkil with the 2/110



    203FE
    My Gallery
    Instagram
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #350
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Darr,

    Thanks for starting a blog on how you've been scanning all of these wonderful images. I dipped my toes into this a few years ago using a jury-rigged system comprising a lightbox meant for viewing slides (it at least has a nice daylight temp fluorescent tube in it), digital camera on tripod (not so great and difficult to set up each time, also easy to knock over), a bubble level, various coins to level the feet of the light box, and 4x5 glass inserts for an Omega negative carrier that I picked up in the loose parts bin at one of the big professional camera stores before they finally threw in the towel and closed down after many decades in business. I got a kick out of seeing the 4x5 Omega D negative carrier in your post. I searched high and low for the 6x6 carrier I picked up some 40 years ago to print in my college's darkroom, to no avail. But seeing your post reminded me of one last place I can look in the garage.

    Anyway, your post inspires me to think about getting a proper copy stand and Skier light box so I can dive back into my archives. One question I have is how flat do the 120 negatives sit in the Skier carrier? And do you think the 4x5 carrier glass fit onto/into the window of the light box?

    Hope you and everyone else here are staying healthy, and keeping a safe distance from one another!

    John
    Hi John,
    Thank you for your lovely post. Very happy to hear you are inspired to bring new life to your archive. I know going through my archive has brought me much contentment and surprises. It really can be rewarding especially when we have the time, tools and venue to share it. This forum in particular has some of the best personalities and lovers of photography I have ever had the pleasure to know. A real treasure on the web!

    Regarding my use of the Skier Box
    Film flatness is always a question. While the film holders are not perfect if you are wanting to get 100% of all four sides of the black frame surrounding your image (it has to hold the film somehow), I have experienced no issues preventing sharp results. In the beginning some of my film felt a bit too snug when first fed through the holders, but after I got accustomed to the process and learned how to feed the film properly, it got easier. The Skier Box’s light window is 4x5.5 inches. There is a ledge where their film holders rest. I place my 4x5 film carrier over the window and stitch my 4x5 film. I also place my multi-format film holder with my 6x12 and 6x17 film in the same manner, but add a small strip of black foam core to prevent light escaping. I will talk more about this in my next post.

    Hope this helps answer your questions. I too wish you and yours, and everyone reading this post, the best of health as we move forward through this challenging time.

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    Last edited by darr; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:18.
    Website: photoscapes.com
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •