The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

jng

I must say, I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks, Dave, for getting it started!

Here's one from my archives - shot in Y2K on Ektachrome Pro with my Hasselblad SWC (I think) and "scanned" with a Nikon D800E (a two-image stitch, if I recall correctly). Original image was 6x6; I cropped off a bit of the top for better framing.

Dragon boats, Saikung Harbor, Hong Kong
Dragon boats-FrameShop.jpg

John

dave.gt

I must say, I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks, Dave, for getting it started!

Here's one from my archives - shot in Y2K on Ektachrome Pro with my Hasselblad SWC (I think) and "scanned" with a Nikon D800E (a two-image stitch, if I recall correctly). Original image was 6x6; I cropped off a bit of the top for better framing.

Dragon boats, Saikung Harbor, Hong Kong

John
Love these colors, John!:thumbup:

And I must say, the response for this thread has been satisfying as so many people have the older images stored away, and like me, are seeing the light of day as they go through the archived images.:)

I have a backlog of 120/220 film to be developed/scanned at the moment, but it must wait for funding.:) I will start with the Velvia rolls in my bag ready to start shooting this weekend.:):):)

Loving these images, and each one is inspiring me to use the film backs!!!!

Last edited:

dave.gt

Working on a very long project, a family album from 1820-2020.

There have been so many surprises! Here is one of them and as far as I know at the moment, this is my first Medium Format image::)

Kodak Six-20:

Cropped to square only because my father had a habit of getting his finger in most images and the dark blob was on the left side, soooo... a crop was required.:)

dave.gt

Those who frequent the analog forum may have seen my shots there in the last year. I've been shooting a Hasselblad 503cx and digitizing the film with a Sony A7rII. It's been a fun side project to return to film and try medium format, I only ever really shot 35mm in B&W back in the late 90s and went digital after that. It's been fun to give slide film and color negatives a try for a bit, as well as some B&W negative. Here are a couple of recent images, shot on Velvia:
Graham,

Wonderful! The scans are better than I have been getting from the lab. Can you elaborate on your scanning setup!:):):)

ggibson

Graham,

Wonderful! The scans are better than I have been getting from the lab. Can you elaborate on your scanning setup!:):):)
Thanks! I have been pleased at the quality as well. I had some Tri-X lab-scanned at "ultra-high" res (~24MP) to compare and the result is similar to what I get with the A7rII (~20MP after cropping). My setup is basically the same as other tutorials online show. The image below shows my setup with a tripod and using an iPad for light. The frame holds the film away from the LCD panel to avoid capturing any RGB pattern, but sometimes I get newton rings from the glass if my focus is too deep. Ignore the glass layer on top of the film--I was experimenting with how to get it to lay flat, but now I use a cardboard matte cut to size (a 3D-printed holder would be nice at some point!). A lightbox and copystand would be better:

6x6 film "scanning" with the Sony A7rII by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

The lens is my Sony 55/1.8 with Sigma AML-2 close-up lens, which gives 1:3 magnification so that the square film just about fills the vertical dimension of the 35mm sensor.

I've found slide film to be quite tricky to capture as well as negatives due to the contrast. I've been experimenting with HDR blends to try to replicate the bold colors and contrast of the slide, but I haven't really found a technique that works for every image. So far for me, processing takes a level of care that would be difficult to scale up if you have a backlog of old slides to digitize. I can manage at a couple rolls at a time.

Here are a few more examples. B&W film:

Rainy day by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Color negative (sorry for the dust and scratches on this one, I got lazy!):

Mini by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've been doing much the same thing, Graham, using my Phase 120mm macro lens with the negative or slide taped to a window on cloudy days when the light is diffuse.. I usually have to adjust color temperature but it works!

I don't have a photo of the set-up - it's pretty amateur - but both the pix in this thread were digitized that way.

Stuart Richardson

Here are a few color images I shot in September and October in my home away from home. Most are slide film, but the longer landscape is color neg. I developed them all myself at the studio, these were shot on a Mamiya 7, but I have been doing some 8x10 too, and 8x10 slides are incredible...
I still shoot a ton of film...I think it has as much to do about the experience of using the cameras as it does about the color and results. After spending a lot of time shooting 4x5 and 6x7 rangefinders, it is hard to go back to cameras you hold up to your face and have tiny viewfinders, especially with EVF's. There is something more elegant for me about using a view camera...I just take better pictures. The Mamiya is somehow similar, as it is more of a window on the world, than an SLR.

dalatangi-autumn-e6-roll1 002.jpgdalatangi-autumn-e6-roll2 001.jpgdalatangi-fall2019-color-roll1 002.jpgdalatangi-autumn-e6-roll2 006.jpg

dave.gt

Ah, a view camera.:) I would really enjoy a 4x5 experience... and can only try to imagine how an 8x10 experience would be!

Stuart, these are excellent! :thumbup:
Thank you for posting!:)

richardman

I am a GetDPI imposter, ha ha. I still mainly shoot film, with only one digital camera (the M9, which I love). I shoot XPan, Hasselblad, 4x5, 8x10...

This is with a Petzval (Petzvar) lens for the Hasselblad.

20170126-Scanned-28.jpg

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great thread. Here's my humble contribution, an image from 2012 that I have re-processed recently. There will be more from me later. I have several films waiting for processing and plan to shoot a lot more film the coming year(s).

The photo is taken at Banteay Chhmar in Cambodia where I travelled on the dirt roads with a small motorbike, the GX680 and a couple of lenses in the ThinkTank Airport Addicted on my back.

GX680 IIIs with 65mm f/5.6 and Acros, scanned on Epson 3200