The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Shashin

Epson V750 Pro for me. I scan everything from 35mm to 4x5 on it. I simply use the Epson driver and finish in PS.

Thorkil

Hassy SWC Venice perhaps 2001, just a testshot with Nikon Z7 with Zeiss Milvus 100/2 ZF2 Macro

Velvia 50 taken with Hasselblad SWC photograph by Nikon Z7 with Zeiss Milvus 100/2 at iso64 1/30 f5 through C1Pro12.1.4

thorkil

darr

Digitizing Film with Cameras

Wonderful pictures you all post here !!! Just a humble wish, please state how you scan, while this is very interesting for me, specially if you digitize with a camera, please state the lens used too.
I am loaning a Zeiss Milvus 100/2 from a friend, and hope to improve my result with the Z7 by that. If I succeed I will certainly buy one. My wife don't completely agree... But for my part compared to the expenses flying several times to Venice, staying at hotels etc., that lens would just be a minor expense judged in a whole view, and could fulfill a longtime dream...(while I do not get to town for scanning)
Hi Thorkil,

I have used various cameras and lenses depending upon what was going on at the moment as space has been an issue for me. I have an Epson V700, and the Microtek ArtixScan film scanners: 120tf and 1800f, but I no longer use these tools as I have found a better solution that works for me through the cameras I possess.

In my studio I have always had a copy stand made for 35mm cameras, and I have used this with my X-Pro2 + Zeiss Touit 50/2 macro and X100T for shooting individual film frames and making contact sheets.

Because I shoot medium format and 4x5" film, I wanted more for these formats so I purchased this copy stand made for medium format cameras a couple of years ago. I use it with a Hasselblad Flexbody + 120 CFi macro lens + CFV-50c and also an ALPA TC + SK 120 M lens + P45. One back is CMOS and the other is CCD. Is there a difference? I am not commenting about that yet, but with each different setup, a different program must be used, either Phocus or Capture One, and extension tubes are necessary.

I am liking my medium format setup, but still use the smaller setup when I need a quick contact sheet. My priorities with digitizing film is with printing and cataloging, and the medium format does very well for me. The Fuji X-Pro2 also prints beautifully for prints up to 17x22", and I could probably push the files further through my ImagePrint setup, but I do not want to ship anything larger than 17x22".

I am active on the large format forum and have been asked by other photographers there to share my findings, which I will after I spend more time doing what needs to get done before I commit to writing.

Use whatever gear you have available; just do it! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

--

PS: The Sisters negative was digitized with the Flexbody + CFV-50c. Nautilus #3 and Wild Fairy Iris were digitized with the Fuji X-Pro2.

Shashin

Darr, do you use your copy setup with color negative film? And if so, how does it deal with the orange integral mask in color negative material? Do you have a hard time with color? Of course, I could not be so lazy and try myself, but if you have already been there...

I am thinking my Pentax 645D and 120mm macro might be a good solution.

darr

Darr, do you use your copy setup with color negative film? And if so, how does it deal with the orange integral mask in color negative material? Do you have a hard time with color? Of course, I could not be so lazy and try myself, but if you have already been there...

I am thinking my Pentax 645D and 120mm macro might be a good solution.

I am thinking you have a great setup, Will.

I use Negative Lab Pro (NLP) for color negatives and it works well!
There is a Facebook group for NLP if you want to see what others do with it.

The only somewhat challenge I face sometimes is with chrome contrast (slides).
But, if it was easy, I would probably not enjoy it as much. :ROTFL:

Darr

Thorkil

Re: Digitizing Film with Cameras

Hi Thorkil,

I have used various cameras and lenses depending upon what was going on at the moment as space has been an issue for me. I have an Epson V700, and the Microtek ArtixScan film scanners: 120tf and 1800f, but I no longer use these tools as I have found a better solution that works for me through the cameras I possess.

In my studio I have always had a copy stand made for 35mm cameras, and I have used this with my X-Pro2 + Zeiss Touit 50/2 macro and X100T for shooting individual film frames and making contact sheets.

Because I shoot medium format and 4x5" film, I wanted more for these formats so I purchased this copy stand made for medium format cameras a couple of years ago. I use it with a Hasselblad Flexbody + 120 CFi macro lens + CFV-50c and also an ALPA TC + SK 120 M lens + P45. One back is CMOS and the other is CCD. Is there a difference? I am not commenting about that yet, but with each different setup, a different program must be used, either Phocus or Capture One, and extension tubes are necessary.

I am liking my medium format setup, but still use the smaller setup when I need a quick contact sheet. My priorities with digitizing film is with printing and cataloging, and the medium format does very well for me. The Fuji X-Pro2 also prints beautifully for prints up to 17x22", and I could probably push the files further through my ImagePrint setup, but I do not want to ship anything larger than 17x22".

I am active on the large format forum and have been asked by other photographers there to share my findings, which I will after I spend more time doing what needs to get done before I commit to writing.

Use whatever gear you have available; just do it! :)

Kind regards,
Darr

--

PS: The Sisters negative was digitized with the Flexbody + CFV-50c. Nautilus #3 and Wild Fairy Iris were digitized with the Fuji X-Pro2.
Thank you very much for taking your time, Darlene!! I was looking at exactly that Kaiser Copy stand while it takes space with tripod.
I'm impressed by the sharpness (and your expressions, I must say!) you achieve, also with the "deadly" body like the X-pro2.
I'm not completely satiesfied with the sharpness of the Milvus testshot, but have to try some more (evening-winter-work while I unfortunately cant shut out the light), perhaps also without glass plate (2mm as used for microscopic work, so it ought to be fine).
Kind Regards Thorkil

Charles S

Thanks! so you are not completely satiesfied with the V850 solution on MF, considering both dust and resolution I guess? - while an Epson V850 could be an alternativ for me (although then I had to learn some more software, Silverfast, which could be uphill for me, in the same way as going to town for scans :angel:)...
Resolution is good enough for me. I don't want files >50mb, which corresponds to the file size i get out of my H3D. It is the dust spotting that kills me, and occasional lack of sharpness.

Thorkil

Resolution is good enough for me. I don't want files >50mb, which corresponds to the file size i get out of my H3D. It is the dust spotting that kills me, and occasional lack of sharpness.
Thank you Charles for your clarification!
I must admit on my last picture there was a hair and several spots in the water, which C1 managed to remove without noticing it afterwards.
I would foremost like to carry on in the camera-scanning way, while it seems so easy, and just adjusting in C1 as usual afterwards, is very comfortable for me
The Milvus lens do a very nice rendering that seems to correspond very well with the Biogon Zeiss lens on the SWC. The Nikkor Z50S seems sharper but harsh, lacks the refinement and soft-sharpness mood of the Milvus (and cutting 80% away in the picture is too much)

dave.gt

Ah, gcap is back...:)

As the rain poured outside our little home this November morning, I awoke feeling exhausted from the stresses of life, as usual. Opening the forum to see other glimpses of the world by others, I was delighted to see more of your beautiful colors posted. Inspiration has arrived on my doorstep once again, I simply must open the door.

Thank you for sharing! It .:thumbup:

dave.gt

Great shot, Dave! :cool:
Haha! You should know... you were the photographer, not me, for this one! I was merely doing what you told me. :ROTFL:

I do miss my 503, though. Maybe one day down the road. :)

Btw, my cousin visited weeks ago and brought me a nice 18"x18" print of that image. Now to save up for framing it. Can't wait!

Last edited:

gnuyork

Haha! You should know... you were the photographer, not me, for this one! I was merely doing what you told me. :ROTFL:

I do miss my 503, though. Maybe one day down the road. :)

Btw, my cousin visited weeks ago and brought me nice 18"x18" print of that image. Now to save up for framing it. Can't wait!
I'm glad it looks like it turned out. That was my first time shooting with your 503 if I recall. I wish you still had it too!!

I think I need to start looking for a V system. Really interested in that new digi back that fits to them, as well as film backs of course (on topic with thread :thumbup:)

dave.gt

I'm glad it looks like it turned out. That was my first time shooting with your 503 if I recall. I wish you still had it too!!

I think I need to start looking for a V system. Really interested in that new digi back that fits to them, as well as film backs of course (on topic with thread :thumbup:)
Dante... where are you?

Hmmm... let me introduce you to Ken Doo. I heard that he might have a direct line to Dante.:) or was it Graham? Or Dave? Or John? Or...?:facesmack: