The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

gurtch

Thank you Dave.gt. I was married in 1959, at age 22, and built my first darkroom. I was making 16"x20" B&W prints (now referred to as "silver gelatin" prints), and 16"X 20" Kodak "Type C" color prints and continued to do so for 50 years, until we retired and moved into a 2 bedroom condo, and I switched to digital printing, but still using film capture then scanning the negs. I actually made cardboard masks and double printed replacing skies when I thought it improved the image. Burning in the corners and edges, dodging shadows to open them up and burning in highlights was a common thing for experienced darkroom workers to do. I kept warmed undiluted Dektol next to the developing tray to "push" areas that needed help, and Potassium Fericyanide bleach
next to the fixer tray to lighten areas that needed it. Selenium toner to blacken the blacks, Kodak gold toner ( blue black) for night scenes or snow images. I think I learned my printing skills the old fashioned way. I will never get into film vs digital, as I like to think the end result is art, regardless of how you get there. I do think the end result should ultimately be a print. Our walls are filled with 30"x36" framed prints in our home. Thank you again for your very kind words
Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Thank you Dave.gt. I was married in 1959, at age 22, and built my first darkroom. I was making 16"x20" B&W prints (now referred to as "silver gelatin" prints), and 16"X 20" Kodak "Type C" color prints and continued to do so for 50 years, until we retired and moved into a 2 bedroom condo, and I switched to digital printing, but still using film capture then scanning the negs. I actually made cardboard masks and double printed replacing skies when I thought it improved the image. Burning in the corners and edges, dodging shadows to open them up and burning in highlights was a common thing for experienced darkroom workers to do. I kept warmed undiluted Dektol next to the developing tray to "push" areas that needed help, and Potassium Fericyanide bleach
next to the fixer tray to lighten areas that needed it. Selenium toner to blacken the blacks, Kodak gold toner ( blue black) for night scenes or snow images. I think I learned my printing skills the old fashioned way. I will never get into film vs digital, as I like to think the end result is art, regardless of how you get there. I do think the end result should ultimately be a print. Our walls are filled with 30"x36" framed prints in our home. Thank you again for your very kind words
Dave in NJ
Hi, Dave!:)

We are wrapping up this old year with another day at the Rehabilitation Hospital, and we will start again with months of therapies the day after New Year's Day, so I will make this a short post.

This thread was NOT intended for any discussion of film v digital, and we will keep it that way. Your images are stunning, as always. I wish I had your talent and skills. Your experience, and your journey toward even better artistic expression with the next image is impressive and inspires me!

If I had the time and the energy, I would love to learn more of what you do... but life has a way of controlling things and we manage the best we can. Thank you again for all I have learned from you the last few years!:thumbs:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I spend more time in LR or PS removing dust from a scan than I do shooting and processing a film image. :ROTFL: You want fun? Try a wet plate where dust becomes an integral part of the emulsion/lacquer and there is NO grain to hide it.

Ok, I'm just being difficult. I know which of MY images are film and which are digital, and I haven't tried to combine them.

Wait! That's not true!

This is 85% Mamiya 7II, and 15% Leica S. I needed a bit more of the left towers, and spent a long time matching the images to make a panorama.

Still, I call this a film image.

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

dave.gt

I spend more time in LR or PS removing dust from a scan than I do shooting and processing a film image. :ROTFL: You want fun? Try a wet plate where dust becomes an integral part of the emulsion/lacquer and there is NO grain to hide it.

Ok, I'm just being difficult. I know which of MY images are film and which are digital, and I haven't tried to combine them.

Wait! That's not true!

This is 85% Mamiya 7II, and 15% Leica S. I needed a bit more of the left towers, and spent a long time matching the images to make a panorama.

Still, I call this a film image.

Best,

Matt
Wet plate!!!

Wow, I would love to give that an effort. I would not know where to start, though...:(

Nice image btw...:)

On the road again... have a great day!

gurtch

Dave (GT): If you PM me with your mailing address, I will send you a brand new DVD slide show that represents 60 years of my work. 30 minutes, over 350 images set to music. Also has some of my Father's Long Beach Island fine art images from the 1930s.
Happy New Year!
Dave in NJ

dave.gt

Well, I have at least 9 rolls of various films to mail out to Dwayne's next week.

The order has some E6, some black and white, and a few color rolls. Since I only have a 35mm scanner, I will also have the scans made locally at my friend's shop.

It will take several weeks and I am already getting anxious!

Stay tuned!:):):)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wet plate!!!

Wow, I would love to give that an effort. I would not know where to start, though...:(

Nice image btw...:)

On the road again... have a great day!
I took a 3-day wet plate course at the Penumbra Foundation. It was great fun, but shooting at ISO 1 can be a challenge. For portraits, a pair of 4000Ws power packs. Otherwise, 30 second exposures. The dynamic range is tiny, but there is NO grain. The lens sharpness is the only thing limiting resolution. And focus. And DoF...

Matt

darr

Re: Daisies

Great colors and perfect timing with the dreary rainy weather this time of year!:)
And that subtle glow! Beautiful!:salute:

Thank you Dave!
So glad it adds some warmth to your rain. :)

Kind regards,
Darr