The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

dave.gt

Dave,

I do not think I ever shot Kodachrome in 120. I looked for some Kodachrome info and found this: Kodachrome 64 film in 120 format was discontinued in 1996 and it was only available from 1986-1996. That is a small window compared to other formats that were available from 1935-2007. I know I shot it in 135 and I have a t-shirt from Dwayne's Photo memorializing the last day of development for Kodachrome on December 30, 2010.

The "Broke Down" photo was made a few weeks ago on Route 27 about 45 minutes south of Tallahassee. We stopped to help the lady that was broke down with a jump start, and bought a bag of pecans. The owner of the stand is a very elderly man with not much to sell, and could not help the lady. I stop there whenever we pass through and buy whatever he is selling if he is open. One reason I live in North Florida is because it is still rural. North Florida is more like Alabama and South Georgia than what a lot of people perceive Florida to be.

Kind regards,
Darr

Edit: Dave, me thinks you are *really good* at being a host, so maybe you can start a new thread asking for Kodachrome images (any format). Maybe we might all start looking through our notebooks of film and start posting some. Just a thought.
Hi, Darr,

That is certainly an interesting suggestion. I will consider doing just that, thanks!

A little research has so far indicated that not many people are sharing 120 Kodachrome images online. However, there is a wealth of amazing images by professionals associated with corporate entities. The most obvious seems to be National Geographic.

Here is a link but somehow I think these may be 135 instead of 120 format but at least the image character should remind and inspire us all..,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....p/photography/photos/kodachrome-photo-gallery

There are others.

Having started a very successful 135 Kodachrome thread on another forum two years ago, I found that the personal images of posters showing home life, travel, family vacations, and events were like viewing our past through a lens that could provide a "time-travel" experience of sorts.

Are there enough 120 Kodachrome images out "there" somewhere that would make an interesting thread? We may find out soon.

For now, I am ordering some Ektachrome 120 ...:thumbup:

Last edited:

dave.gt

Medium Format - black and white? Color?

Interesting article here that seems to state that even Ansel Adams never made up his mind about color photography:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/ansel-adams-in-color-145315674/

It seems strange to think of Ansel Adams getting paid professionally using color film.:)

Even more strange for me, I am struggling with a half dozen rolls of 120 TriX at the moment regarding what to shoot, how to shoot it and ... why? My transition to color years ago has re-wired my brain. My film back is loaded, so what is my mental block?:(

KeithDM

Medium Format - black and white? Color?

Even more strange for me, I am struggling with a half dozen rolls of 120 TriX at the moment regarding what to shoot, how to shoot it and ... why? My transition to color years ago has re-wired my brain. My film back is loaded, so what is my mental block?:(
Pick up thy camera, walk somewhere and shoot... ;)
Which is what I did Friday morning with Tri-X loaded in my H503CX (Planar 80mm CF T* + med yellow filter) for a walk around a local country park. Three examples from today's dev/scan session:-

tsjanik

I really liked the 120 Kodachrome - I found it sharper than the E6 films and more colour-fast. This was taken in St. Kitts, W.I. about 30 years ago with a Hassy. Rephotographed with XF and SK 120 macro. No manipulation - the colours are still bright.

I love the colors in this Bill; it immediately reminded me of a photo by Bill Binzen that appeared in the Time Life series on photography (which I read three times in the early 1970s). I do miss the excitement and wonder that accompanied receiving my processed Kodachrome in the mail.

Tom

Ed Hurst

Old gas works, Beckton, East London in May 1993. All Hasselblad SWC/M and FP4+

john

Mesmerising pictures, John. They have a special resonance for me... My grandfather worked there in the 1950s (when the site was in full flow, with an extensive internal railway system - long before it became a film set for Kubrick, converted to an industrial estate or used in part for the Docklands Light Railway). Sadly, he died a long time ago. As did his son (my Dad). But there are other family members who I know would love to see these pictures. Do you mind if I share? My Aunt, in particular, I am sure will be fascinated by them.

I don't think there's anything of the old works to see there now.

darr

Boo Boo

HASSELBLAD 500CM + 150/4 + Kodak VPS III
Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50M

--

I used a Fuji X-Pro3 (XP3) for digitizing this negative. I rented the XP3 to see if I wanted to make the upgrade from the X-Pro2.
The XP3's unique screen design makes it advantageous for use on a copy stand. I am happy to say it is a breeze to use with my setup.
Got one on order because for me, it is that good.

Kind regards,
Darr

John_McMaster

Mesmerising pictures, John. They have a special resonance for me... My grandfather worked there in the 1950s (when the site was in full flow, with an extensive internal railway system - long before it became a film set for Kubrick, converted to an industrial estate or used in part for the Docklands Light Railway). Sadly, he died a long time ago. As did his son (my Dad). But there are other family members who I know would love to see these pictures. Do you mind if I share? My Aunt, in particular, I am sure will be fascinated by them.

I don't think there's anything of the old works to see there now.
I was first there in 1987 and there were quite a few signs of Kubricks Vietnam sets (palm trees not being native to Beckton). Of course you can share them they are on the web after all, full set are at https://johnmcmaster.com/PESO/Beckton

cheers

john

B L

Wells Grey Provincal Park, Feb 2000, Hasselblad X-Pan, Fuji RA-668, Epson 700, Vuescan

(I've taken a bit of liberty with 135 film... - it is larger than FF)
Xpan photos are rare.Thanks for posting.
I feel XPAN and other panoramic cameras deserve a thread of their own. Perhaps something like "Fun with XPAN and Other Panoramic cameras."
I had a Fuji version about 20 years ago.