The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Bernard

I had to use 1/500th (which probably is slower than that) at F16 and the negatives are still a bit dense.
Because of how leaf shutters work, the effective exposure speed won't be accurate at maximum speed and minimum aperture. It should be accurate wide-open, and at intermediate apertures.
The speed of the shutter doesn't change, but the percentage of time that it is partially obstructing the aperture does.

The workaround is to use a slower film, or a light-absorbing filter (ND, polarizer, any coloured filter in B&W).

ggibson

One of the first shots I took with my Hasselblad (I've only had it since Dec 2018). I've improved my scanning and processing techniques a bit since last year, so I thought I'd give this one another pass. I'm now using the Hasselblad Zeiss 120/4 Makro-Planar for scanning at 1:2 on my A7rII, which gets me a bit more resolution. Prior scan with a bit of color cast here.

Peter Reprocess by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

JoelM

One of the first shots I took with my Hasselblad (I've only had it since Dec 2018). I've improved my scanning and processing techniques a bit since last year, so I thought I'd give this one another pass. I'm now using the Hasselblad Zeiss 120/4 Makro-Planar for scanning at 1:2 on my A7rII, which gets me a bit more resolution. Prior scan with a bit of color cast here.

Very nice Graham,

I'm not sure if the Hasselblad lens is the best choice as it might not be able to resolve, but your picture sure looks good. I am using a Canon 100mm 2.8L macro and it works quite well. I am considering trying the 65mm Voigtlander when I find a nice copy. It's good to keep working on the process. My flatbed also does a surprisingly great job at medium format and larger as long as I use the holders.

Cheers,

Joel

Godfrey

Very nice Graham,

I'm not sure if the Hasselblad lens is the best choice as it might not be able to resolve, but your picture sure looks good. I am using a Canon 100mm 2.8L macro and it works quite well. I am considering trying the 65mm Voigtlander when I find a nice copy. It's good to keep working on the process. My flatbed also does a surprisingly great job at medium format and larger as long as I use the holders.

Cheers,

Joel
I'm curious as to why you say the Zeiss Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 "might not be able to resolve" ...? Resolve what? and why do you think that? This is a very very high performance lens, particularly in the near field, in my experience.

G

ggibson

Thanks, Joel, I'm just using what I have available, so it may not be optimal. As you said, I'm always working on the process. I'm really just scanning on a single frame also, so closer to 1:2.3, and end up with a 27.7MP file here. The lens could go a bit closer, but would start to require stitching. I've only ever printed 8" x 8" from my Hasselblad, so I don't really need the extra resolution, but it would be interesting to see how big these files can support. I'm always curious when I hear of massive 80MP+ files from medium format, whether the film actually contains that level of detail (or could I interpolate this one up to look the same?). In this particular image though, I would think how sharp the Hasselblad 80/2.8 is wide open is more the limiting factor...

Here's a link to the full size version for pixel peeping.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Joel, I'm just using what I have available, so it may not be optimal. As you said, I'm always working on the process. I'm really just scanning on a single frame also, so closer to 1:2.3, and end up with a 27.7MP file here. The lens could go a bit closer, but would start to require stitching. I've only ever printed 8" x 8" from my Hasselblad, so I don't really need the extra resolution, but it would be interesting to see how big these files can support. I'm always curious when I hear of massive 80MP+ files from medium format, whether the film actually contains that level of detail (or could I interpolate this one up to look the same?). In this particular image though, I would think how sharp the Hasselblad 80/2.8 is wide open is more the limiting factor...

Here's a link to the full size version for pixel peeping.
I had a look at your full resolution image, and I think there's potential for less grain. This looks like what I got from the lab that I used previously and was one of the reasons why I changed. It must be said though that since I currenty use Ektar, which is more or less grain free (think Velvia style) and great for technical application but not so much for people shots, my reference material might not be entirely fair. Portra 160 shows more grain than Ektar.

I will have a few 100+ MP scans of Ektar (6x8 at 4,000 dpi) done next week and will post some full-res examples here later. Some of my images will be printed up to 3 metres wide for use as exhibition backdrops.

JoelM

I'm curious as to why you say the Zeiss Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 "might not be able to resolve" ...? Resolve what? and why do you think that? This is a very very high performance lens, particularly in the near field, in my experience.

G
Hi, I was referring to resolving the 42mp sensor in the Sony A7rii (which I use as well). Anyway, like I said, I am not sure if this is the case. The small image looks very nice, but the full resolution image does look grainy as you mentioned. Not sure how to improve that except perhaps in PS.

Joel

ggibson

Hi, I was referring to resolving the 42mp sensor in the Sony A7rii (which I use as well). Anyway, like I said, I am not sure if this is the case. The small image looks very nice, but the full resolution image does look grainy as you mentioned. Not sure how to improve that except perhaps in PS.

Joel
I am not an expert in NR or sharpening, so perhaps I need to experiment a bit to improve my results. I tend to opt for more noise vs. over-smoothing. An additional process improvement I could make to reduce noise is to use the smooth reflection app to average multiple shots. Not a lot of extra effort here since everything is done in-camera, just a bit longer to "scan".

Another thought--I would be curious to try this whole process with a more recent Sony model that can perform pixel-shift to see what improvement can be realized there as well. There are a lot of variables to play with here and balanced with the level of effort and benefit in image quality.

mristuccia

Time ago I made those two images out of a photography school workshop on the subject "Alice in Wonderland".
Each one is a composition of two film shots: the background wall and all the rest.
I had fun putting in a rich set of symbols coming from the story.

Shot with Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f2.8 and Fuji Provia.

Scanned on my Imacon Flextight 848 and composed in Photoshop.

Thanks for looking.

darr

Time ago I made those two images out of a photography school workshop on the subject "Alice in Wonderland".
Each one is a composition of two film shots: the background wall and all the rest.
I had fun putting in a rich set of symbols coming from the story.

Shot with Hasselblad 500C/M, Planar 80mm f2.8 and Fuji Provia.

Scanned on my Imacon Flextight 848 and composed in Photoshop.

Thanks for looking.

Lovely Marco!!

Satrycon

very nice
i recently scanned a few 6x6 with my GFX50r and 90mm APO summicron M with the leica Macro adapter M..results were very good.