The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

mristuccia

Lovely Marco!!
Darlene, thank you for your kind words!

Your film photographs are beautiful and delicate. I noticed you're using (or used) Pyrocat HD. Being very interested in the smooth tonalities it gives to the images I've seen on internet, I have started using it right now. If I can ask, how do you use it? Do you run a stand/semi-stand development or the normal development times? And which A/B solution mix?

Thanks in advance,
m/

Last edited:

darr

Darlene, thank you for your kind words!

Your film photographs are beautiful and delicate. I noticed you're using (or used) Pyrocat HD. Being very interested in the smooth tonalities it gives to the images I've seen on internet, I have started using it right now. If I can ask, how do you use it? Do you run a stand/semi-stand development or the normal development times? And which A/B solution mix?

Thanks in advance,
m/
Thank you for your kind words Marco.

I pretty much do a stand development these days. My chemistry has changed over the years for simplicity reasons. I currently use Photographer’s Formulary’s Pyrocat HD in liquid form.

I mix 1:100, as an example for two rolls of 120, I mix 10 ml developer + 990 ml filtered water. That would be 5 ml “A” and 5 ml “B” chemistry. I stopped buying distilled water and use the water from my Berkey filter system.

I pre-rinse my film for five minutes to remove the anti-halation layer. Then pour in the developer at 20 C degrees, and agitate for 30 seconds. Then for the next three minutes, I agitate 10 seconds for each minute. Then it sits for an hour.

Then I empty the developer (I never reuse developer), and rinse with water for 30 seconds as my stop bath. Then fix for four minutes (I reuse fixer until cloudy). Then a final wash for five minutes and hang to dry.

I do this all from memory, but use a timer for the agitation. I have used various tank/reel systems over the years and prefer Paterson for its little spindle for agitation use.

Everyone does their own thing with chemistry. I disliked darkroom duties the most in film photography, but I prefer developing my own black and white film and have chiseled it down to something I can tolerate. I buy all my chemistry from Photographer’s Formulary and have used some dangerous stuff over the years. I always wear gloves and gave up using the chemicals that smoked when mixed. Today I have settled on the premixed Pyrocat HD liquid formula and have had no issues with it.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

Re: County Road 59

Ah, that is gorgeous, Darr!:):):)

Everything about it, composition, tonality... simply beautiful.
Thank you Dave!
If I can bring you an ounce of joy from viewing my work, my day has been blessed! Wishing you well always. ❤

Darr

itsdoable

Webster Falls in Winter, Horizont Panoramic, T-Max 5052, Epson V700, Vuescan
WebsterFalls_winter~1995.jpg
Another "larger than FF" 35mm (24x58mm) shot...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Thank you Dave!
If I can bring you an ounce of joy from viewing my work, my day has been blessed! Wishing you well always. ❤

Darr
Darr,

You bring a lot of us joy from viewing your work. Dave often puts into words what many of us are feeling.

Matt

darr

Darr,

You bring a lot of us joy from viewing your work. Dave often puts in words what many of us are thinking.

Matt
Thank you Matt! You are so kind to say that.
I am grateful for this forum and for contributing members such as yourself. Not all forums are created equal.

I just read your post regarding your thoughts on letting go of FF gear. I did that a few years ago after I started shooting Fuji APS-C. Once I realized my FF Nikon sat unused for over a year bc I was shooting MF and APS-C only, I sold it all off except for a couple of favorite lenses I use with the Fuji bodies. I have never regretted it. Just a thought.

Best to you,
Darr

mristuccia

Thank you for your kind words Marco.

I pretty much do a stand development these days. My chemistry has changed over the years for simplicity reasons. I currently use Photographer’s Formulary’s Pyrocat HD in liquid form.

I mix 1:100, as an example for two rolls of 120, I mix 10 ml developer + 990 ml filtered water. That would be 5 ml “A” and 5 ml “B” chemistry. I stopped buying distilled water and use the water from my Berkey filter system.

I pre-rinse my film for five minutes to remove the anti-halation layer. Then pour in the developer at 20 C degrees, and agitate for 30 seconds. Then for the next three minutes, I agitate 10 seconds for each minute. Then it sits for an hour.

Then I empty the developer (I never reuse developer), and rinse with water for 30 seconds as my stop bath. Then fix for four minutes (I reuse fixer until cloudy). Then a final wash for five minutes and hang to dry.

I do this all from memory, but use a timer for the agitation. I have used various tank/reel systems over the years and prefer Paterson for its little spindle for agitation use.

Everyone does their own thing with chemistry. I disliked darkroom duties the most in film photography, but I prefer developing my own black and white film and have chiseled it down to something I can tolerate. I buy all my chemistry from Photographer’s Formulary and have used some dangerous stuff over the years. I always wear gloves and gave up using the chemicals that smoked when mixed. Today I have settled on the premixed Pyrocat HD liquid formula and have had no issues with it.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Darr
Darr,

thank you very much for this very detailed description of your process!

I've used Pyrocat HD two times so far, but with a regular development process.
I did stand-development with Rodinal very often, and your times/process are similar to my ones. Will try with Pyrocat HD very soon... :)

Best,
marco

anyone

I just read your post regarding your thoughts on letting go of FF gear. I did that a few years ago after I started shooting Fuji APS-C. Once I realized my FF Nikon sat unused for over a year bc I was shooting MF and APS-C only, I sold it all off except for a couple of favorite lenses I use with the Fuji bodies. I have never regretted it. Just a thought.

Best to you,
Darr
+1: I did exactly that step, and kept all my Canon lenses to use them now on Sony APS-C. For "more serious" shots I use my MF gear.

Qamaro

Finally got the Jobo up, to get through my backlog of old rolls I just never got around to developing.

Mamiya 6 | 150mm | Acros 100 | Xtol 1:1 | V850

darr

Re: Distant Giants

400TX? Are you sure?
Hey Jorgen,

I thought as I posted the info someone might question it. Because I did not load the film on the spool correctly, it suffered uneven development. I decided to layer on a few textures in PS to add color and mood because I like the composition and wanted to save it. I have a history of saving screw ups I like. :ROTFL:

Anyhow, good catch!!
Darr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: Distant Giants

Hey Jorgen,

I thought as I posted the info someone might question it. Because I did not load the film on the spool correctly, it suffered uneven development. I decided to layer on a few textures in PS to add color and mood because I like the composition and wanted to save it. I have a history of saving screw ups I like. :ROTFL:

Anyhow, good catch!!
Darr
I suspected that. Actually, it looks pretty cool, and I like the mood, so good job :thumbup:

paulgrundy

The North Transcept, Westminster Abbey. Shot around 25 years ago on Provia with a Horseman EM 5x4, 120 SA lens and a 12 x 6 rollfilm back.

Back then you could use a tripod in the abbey after 6pm every Tuesday once choir practice had finished.

Westminster Abbey .jpg

Godfrey

Lovely photos in this thread... !!! Just for fun this morning:

Hasselblad 500CM Duo ...
The Big Kids Waiting for Little Brother 907x To Arrive

:D

G