The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

darr

Graceful Swagger

CAMBO WIDE + SK 65/5.6 Super Angulon + HP5 (Pyrocat HD)
Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8

--

Shooting some 120 HP5 from freezer storage. Ugh, the film is curling like no other!
Anyone else experience this with HP5? I use Tri-X the most, and never have curling.

Hope everyone is doing well,
Darr

stevenfr

Re: Graceful Swagger

Outstanding

Congrats

CAMBO WIDE + SK 65/5.6 Super Angulon + HP5 (Pyrocat HD)
Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8

--

Shooting some 120 HP5 from freezer storage. Ugh, the film is curling like no other!
Anyone else experience this with HP5? I use Tri-X the most, and never have curling.

Hope everyone is doing well,
Darr

dave.gt

Darr, once again you brighten my day.:):):) I am beginning to think this thread is becoming something very special with so many nice images to view. I have my film backs ready to go with TriX, I just need to get out and go to work. Thanks for inspiring me!!!:thumbs:

darr

Darr, once again you brighten my day.:):):) I am beginning to think this thread is becoming something very special with so many nice images to view. I have my film backs ready to go with TriX, I just need to get out and go to work. Thanks for inspiring me!!!:thumbs:
I have you in my thoughts Dave. Atlanta will be getting spring real, real soon. My best girlfriend lives in Acworth and she says y'all been getting buckets of rain lately. I know what happens next, all the flowers and trees will be in bloom! Hope you get some time to go shoot for yourself. I am planning on going to a local state garden this week, Maclay Gardens here in Tallahassee to burn a few rolls with my 501CM. I just love my Hasselblad cameras. Will be challenging myself with the 80/2.8 and Proxars only. I am only taking what fits in my shoulder bag. I might be able to fit the digital back in too. :)

Best to you always,
Darr

Godfrey

darr and all: beautiful photos! Thank you for posting them! :)

I still have a roll of 120 Hasselblad film sitting here waiting to be scanned. Events of the past couple of weeks really put me off kilter, along with the arrival of the new Hasselblad 907x/CFVII 50c kit—I've been putting most of my photographic energy into exploring the latter (... and it's terrific!).

Miss film? No, not me. I don't have to miss it because now I can swap between film and digital by just swapping the back on the same camera ... all upside! As long as XP2 Super and Tri-X 120 exist, I'm fine.

I've also been waiting on that scan because I have a pledge in on the 120 scanning carrier that I saw a month or two back... That's going to make the scanning exercise SO much easier to deal with, and produce higher quality results. The campaign just closed, it's all paid for now, so it's just the wait for product to be delivered.

I look forward to many more years of medium format in film *and* digital capture... :D

G

darr

Skier Sunray Copy Box II

What I use to digitize my film: the Skier Sunray Copy Box II

Because I scan film from 4x5” to 135, I need a versatile film sizing system. The most challenging film size I scan is my 6x17 film, especially hard if the film curls. I use a Microtek 120 film strip holder from an old scanner for the 6x17 and 6x12 films.

Before using the Skier Sunray Box, I used a LCD lightbox made for tracing, and various film holders from a scanner and film enlarger. The brightness of the Skier Sunray Box is worth its price when compared to the former lightbox brightness.

With the Sunray Box I can quickly digitize a 120 roll, but with the 6x12 and 6x17 formats, it requires using the Microtek strip film holder. I do use the film strip holder with the Sunray Box, but it takes more time to do so.

Overall I am very happy with my setup!
Darr

Thorkil

Re: Skier Sunray Copy Box II

Because I scan film from 4x5” to 135, I need a versatile film sizing system. The most challenging film size I scan is my 6x17 film, especially hard if the film curls. I use a Microtek 120 film strip holder from an old scanner for the 6x17 and 6x12 films.

Before using the Skier Sunray Box, I used a LCD lightbox made for tracing, and various film holders from a scanner and film enlarger. The brightness of the Skier Sunray Box is worth its price when compared to the former lightbox brightness.

With the Sunray Box I can quickly digitize a 120 roll, but with the 6x12 and 6x17 formats, it requires using the Microtek strip film holder. I do use the film strip holder with the Sunray Box, but it takes more time to do so.

Darr
Thank you Darlene, this looks like a very helpfull and easy way to get it done, I might just order one at once.
And glad you also finds the PME51 easy to focus with (the CFV II thread)
By the way ANYONE got a Hassy 110/2 FE to part with at a affordable reach ?????? (I miss it so much...!)
KR Thorkil

Shashin

This is the Dai-Butsu (Great Buddha) in Todai temple in Nara, Japan. The largest bronze statue and wooden structure in the country, if not the world--I will let you Google that.

Taken with one of my favorite cameras--the Horseman SW612 with the 55mm Grandagon. I am not sure I miss film per se. It is a bit of a pain to process and travel with. You kind of forget how much the stuff weighs and space it takes up, especially with a camera that get 12 images a roll. It certainly was not a sophisticated camera--a optical viewfinder where the mask was designed to compensate for the barrel distortion (but beautiful to look through), guestimation focusing, manual aperture and shutter speed, and you had to release and advance the frame and cock the shutter with each shot.

But the camera and format was just so fun to use. For the most part, I used it handheld--the viewfinder had a level, making that easier. A while unusual, people seemed to be comfortable around it.

Thorkil

Re: Skier Sunray Copy Box II

Darr
but Darlene, just a thought, if I'm only in for 120 film, (perhaps 35 later on), and sometimes have to cut for single pictures (when old stiff filmrolls - yes my fault! - have to get into a Hasselblad Photoscanner), then perhaps it might still be the Digitaliza 120
https://shop.lomography.com/en/digitaliza-120-scanning-mask
that would be the best solution?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJiT7T1-rWE
and if still too stiff, then its getting back to the unhandy glass-plate solution..
kr thorkil

darr

Re: My Digitizing Tools

but Darlene, just a thought, if I'm only in for 120 film, (perhaps 35 later on), and sometimes have to cut for single pictures (when old stiff filmrolls - yes my fault! - have to get into a Hasselblad Photoscanner), then perhaps it might still be the Digitaliza 120
https://shop.lomography.com/en/digitaliza-120-scanning-mask
that would be the best solution?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJiT7T1-rWE
and if still too stiff, then its getting back to the unhandy glass-plate solution..
kr thorkil
Hi Thorkil,

I have no experience with that particular film holder, but I did read other photographer experiences with it prior to purchasing what I have. I just published "My Digitizing Tools" on my blog and will follow up in a couple of weeks with how I use these tools. If you can, please read the article and look at the photos of the tools I use to see if it can help you in some way.

Kind regards,
Darr

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil,

I have no experience with that particular film holder, but I did read other photographer experiences with it prior to purchasing what I have. I just published "My Digitizing Tools" on my blog and will follow up in a couple of weeks with how I use these tools. If you can, please read the article and look at the photos of the tools I use to see if it can help you in some way.

Kind regards,
Darr
Hi Darlene
Thank you very much!
Some very fine equipment you got there!!!
I did order the 120 and 35 mask already at Lomography (and perhaps do some additional masking with black cartboard on the Kaiser lightbox), but things might be delayed while "Post-Denmark" are storing parcels from abroad in a warehouse (but I'm really more worried how my dear PME51 is doing, though :))...hhmmm...Corona is putting everything at a stand still here in Europe. Instead people are singing and playing from their balcony's (in Italy foremost, some Danes are trying to copy, but they lack the Italian anarchistic energy..)...
So I will just proceed in some very small steps at a time..
Kind regards Thorkil
Ps. I've got the same Kaiser copy-stand as you show, for my Z7 + 90 Tamron macro

darr

Hi Darlene
Thank you very much!
Some very fine equipment you got there!!!
I did order the 120 and 35 mask already at Lomography (and perhaps do some additional masking with black cartboard on the Kaiser lightbox), but things might be delayed while "Post-Denmark" are storing parcels from abroad in a warehouse (but I'm really more worried how my dear PME51 is doing, though :))...hhmmm...Corona is putting everything at a stand still here in Europe. Instead people are singing and playing from their balcony's (in Italy foremost, some Danes are trying to copy, but they lack the Italian anarchistic energy..)...
So I will just proceed in some very small steps at a time..
Kind regards Thorkil
Ps. I've got the same Kaiser copy-stand as you show, for my Z7 + 90 Tamron macro
We are also in a stand still in the US. Schools and businesses closed. Right now it is for two weeks, but it may get extended for two months. I hope your PME51 makes it to you soon. It really is a lovely metered viewfinder. That is a very good copy stand you have, I have used mine for a few years with no problems. Take care and good health!

Darr

JoelM

I find that a long piece of AN glass helps to keep the film flat, especially when digitizing my 6x17.

Joel

jng

Darr,

Thanks for starting a blog on how you've been scanning all of these wonderful images. I dipped my toes into this a few years ago using a jury-rigged system comprising a lightbox meant for viewing slides (it at least has a nice daylight temp fluorescent tube in it), digital camera on tripod (not so great and difficult to set up each time, also easy to knock over), a bubble level, various coins to level the feet of the light box, and 4x5 glass inserts for an Omega negative carrier that I picked up in the loose parts bin at one of the big professional camera stores before they finally threw in the towel and closed down after many decades in business. I got a kick out of seeing the 4x5 Omega D negative carrier in your post. I searched high and low for the 6x6 carrier I picked up some 40 years ago to print in my college's darkroom, to no avail. But seeing your post reminded me of one last place I can look in the garage.

Anyway, your post inspires me to think about getting a proper copy stand and Skier light box so I can dive back into my archives. One question I have is how flat do the 120 negatives sit in the Skier carrier? And do you think the 4x5 carrier glass fit onto/into the window of the light box?

Hope you and everyone else here are staying healthy, and keeping a safe distance from one another!

John

Thorkil

We are also in a stand still in the US. Schools and businesses closed. Right now it is for two weeks, but it may get extended for two months. I hope your PME51 makes it to you soon. It really is a lovely metered viewfinder. That is a very good copy stand you have, I have used mine for a few years with no problems. Take care and good health!

Darr
Thanks, also, and all of you, take care and look out to stay healthy !!
kr thorkil