The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Qamaro

Since I've been locked (it's normal since I work from home), so I decided to knock out some to-do mixed some Kodak C41 Flexicolor and got to work on the huge backlog of film I needed to dev [I shoot things in both digital and film so holding off on dev isn't a big deal to me btw]. Sorry to hit you with a triple post in one :)

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP

Rolleiflex 2.8f | 80mm Planar | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C4- 1 (final rinse no stab) | V850 + NLP

Shot the last one on digital a while back, do love the soft tones on the film version though.

dave.gt

Fall in a calmer time. Pentax 67, 35mm fisheye, Velvia.

2008LOAN1561-Recovered by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Beautiful images here... perfect timing considering the chaos of the pandemic across the globe. Thanks to all for posting!:thumbs:

I must admit that we have been drawn into the negative frame of mind with all the bad news and fear gripping the world here and everywhere as far as I know. We are especially stressed as you may know.

This morning, I began thinking about my old Leica M3. I miss it for many reasons. But when we were first struck with devastating medical crises in 2009, even before that, I carried my M3 and X1 with me in my Billingham bag every minute of the day using it for a pillow and personal items including food and clothing for many months in hospital. I rarely used either camera until 2013, when I was well enough myself to think of documenting our journey and expressing our gratitude for a return to something resembling a life instead of a constant dread of death.

The M3 was not MF, of course, and it was reluctantly sold several years ago, but as we face another health crisis with the pandemic, I realize now how my Leica cameras saved me while I sat in a wooden chair at my wife's bedside for extensive periods of times, without sleep and without food other than what I could get from a vending machine. I realized then how I could use our experiences to provide hope and inspiration as we worked with the hospital on the university campus. And I benefited from the gift of giving to those patients who had achieved so much in recovery and restoration.

Now, I have another opportunity to deliver ourselves, this time from the gloom and doom of a virus outbreak, actually, a pandemic. This time, a single MF camera and lens will be in my bag with my trusty little X1. Somehow, the presence of my bag gives me comfort and hope.

Now, what shall I do with it? I do not know, yet. But I will post here as time goes on.

The journey has begun.:):):)

Edit: it seems appropriate for me to use film this time again. So, 120 film backs in the H camera for some work, will complement the digital images. The Hassy fits in the bag just fine! And... it is still a decent pillow.

Last edited:

Thorkil

Beautiful images here... perfect timing considering the chaos of the pandemic across the globe. Thanks to all for posting!:thumbs:

I must admit that we have been drawn into the negative frame of mind with all the bad news and fear gripping the world here and everywhere as far as I know. We are especially stressed as you may know.

This morning, I began thinking about my old Leica M3. I miss it for many reasons. But when we were first struck with devastating medical crises in 2009, even before that, I carried my M3 and X1 with me in my Billingham bag every minute of the day using it for a pillow and personal items including food and clothing for many months in hospital. I rarely used either camera until 2013, when I was well enough myself to think of documenting our journey and expressing our gratitude for a return to something resembling a life instead of a constant dread of death.

The M3 was not MF, of course, and it was reluctantly sold several years ago, but as we face another health crisis with the pandemic, I realize now how my Leica cameras saved me while I sat in a wooden chair at my wife's bedside for extensive periods of times, without sleep and without food other than what I could get from a vending machine. I realized then how I could use our experiences to provide hope and inspiration as we worked with the hospital on the university campus. And I benefited from the gift of giving to those patients who had achieved so much in recovery and restoration.

Now, I have another opportunity to deliver ourselves, this time from the gloom and doom of a virus outbreak, actually, a pandemic. This time, a single MF camera and lens will be in my bag with my trusty little X1. Somehow, the presence of my bag gives me comfort and hope.

Now, what shall I do with it? I do not know, yet. But I will post here as time goes on.

The journey has begun.:):):)

Edit: it seems appropriate for me to use film this time again. So, 120 film backs in the H camera for some work, will complement the digital images. The Hassy fits in the bag just fine! And... it is still a decent pillow.
:thumbup:
Yes the Corona is somewhat stressing, but on the other hand not, finding time for doing only the necessary shopping at times when the are almost no other people are in the supermarket, and doing walking in the wood where nowhere other people use to come by...and so on, and try to get healthy bored at home.
But in a totally silly attack from boredom, I just yesterday clicked at a Hasselblad 110/2 FE at KEH, later only to realize it was at a "bargain"-condition, full of scratches I presume, and at a silly high amount considering taxes when arriving at Denmark, the price went beyond reason. I should have asked for one here in the used gear section. But I'm looking forward to see if I remember loading film again...and regain that special look the 110/2 FE deliver...(can't wait..can't wait)(perhaps later on try to find room in the purse for a used X1D version I...and put the FE's on)

anyone

:thumbup:
Yes the Corona is somewhat stressing, but on the other hand not, finding time for doing only the necessary shopping at times when the are almost no other people are in the supermarket, and doing walking in the wood where nowhere other people use to come by...and so on, and try to get healthy bored at home.
But in a totally silly attack from boredom, I just yesterday clicked at a Hasselblad 110/2 FE at KEH, later only to realize it was at a "bargain"-condition, full of scratches I presume, and at a silly high amount considering taxes when arriving at Denmark, the price went beyond reason. I should have asked for one here in the used gear section. But I'm looking forward to see if I remember loading film again...and regain that special look the 110/2 FE deliver...(can't wait..can't wait)(perhaps later on try to find room in the purse for a used X1D version I...and put the FE's on)
You will love the lens, I'm pretty sure. I like mine a lot. :thumbup:

jng

Let us know how it goes. KEH often (but certainly not always) sells equipment that's in better condition than one might assume based on their grading. Plus, the reality is that a few scratches on e.g. the front element is rarely the end of the world in terms of image quality. You might be pleasantly surprised!

John

darr

Darr,

Thanks for starting a blog on how you've been scanning all of these wonderful images. I dipped my toes into this a few years ago using a jury-rigged system comprising a lightbox meant for viewing slides (it at least has a nice daylight temp fluorescent tube in it), digital camera on tripod (not so great and difficult to set up each time, also easy to knock over), a bubble level, various coins to level the feet of the light box, and 4x5 glass inserts for an Omega negative carrier that I picked up in the loose parts bin at one of the big professional camera stores before they finally threw in the towel and closed down after many decades in business. I got a kick out of seeing the 4x5 Omega D negative carrier in your post. I searched high and low for the 6x6 carrier I picked up some 40 years ago to print in my college's darkroom, to no avail. But seeing your post reminded me of one last place I can look in the garage.

Anyway, your post inspires me to think about getting a proper copy stand and Skier light box so I can dive back into my archives. One question I have is how flat do the 120 negatives sit in the Skier carrier? And do you think the 4x5 carrier glass fit onto/into the window of the light box?

Hope you and everyone else here are staying healthy, and keeping a safe distance from one another!

John
Hi John,
Thank you for your lovely post. Very happy to hear you are inspired to bring new life to your archive. I know going through my archive has brought me much contentment and surprises. It really can be rewarding especially when we have the time, tools and venue to share it. This forum in particular has some of the best personalities and lovers of photography I have ever had the pleasure to know. A real treasure on the web!

Regarding my use of the Skier Box
Film flatness is always a question. While the film holders are not perfect if you are wanting to get 100% of all four sides of the black frame surrounding your image (it has to hold the film somehow), I have experienced no issues preventing sharp results. In the beginning some of my film felt a bit too snug when first fed through the holders, but after I got accustomed to the process and learned how to feed the film properly, it got easier. The Skier Box’s light window is 4x5.5 inches. There is a ledge where their film holders rest. I place my 4x5 film carrier over the window and stitch my 4x5 film. I also place my multi-format film holder with my 6x12 and 6x17 film in the same manner, but add a small strip of black foam core to prevent light escaping. I will talk more about this in my next post.

Hope this helps answer your questions. I too wish you and yours, and everyone reading this post, the best of health as we move forward through this challenging time.

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

Thorkil

Here is one for Thorkil with the 2/110

203FE
Thanks Ivo! Yes I think you is right considering a cutting out from the original film format 60x60mm by a sensor of only 44x33mm (the X1D) might harm that super picture-surface-mood from the 110/2 FE, as you also show, and as I remember it myself. That lens gives a sort of total experience, that at least I, for my part, very seldom see - and having a so and so relationship to colours in general, the 110/2FE do something extraordinary to colours, at least in my eyes, soft, watercolour-like thing.
(by the way, I have to add, I really like your Gallery and the unconventional, fresh and moody way you do your pictures, just to say)
best Thorkil

Thorkil

considering the film-holders I've just ordered this, while its possible to open and masking seems adjustable, and I hope it can hold all the 4 sides of a single 6x6 frame. We will see. But its on backorder by fotokoch.de in Germany.
Perhaps a bit expensive because a tiny lightbox are following along
Products

Hi Darr: just got my PME51 from Japan, and in a condition as if it just left the factory :)o:eek::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::eek::eek:)

darr

considering the film-holders I've just ordered this, while its possible to open and masking seems adjustable, and I hope it can hold all the 4 sides of a single 6x6 frame. We will see. But its on backorder by fotokoch.de in Germany.
Perhaps a bit expensive because a tiny lightbox are following along
Products

Hi Darr: just got my PME51 from Japan, and in a condition as if it just left the factory :)o:eek::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::eek::eek:)
Hi Thorkil,

I have seen someone else mention the film holder you post, but they could not secure one in the US. Do let us know how it all works out.
Wonderful news regarding your PME51!! :clap:

Best to you,
Darr

jdphoto

It's my humble opinion that shooting film will make you a much better photographer because of the effort it takes to simply understand the basics. The reward of a good exposed image is earned and not produced from countless shutter clicks of a digital camera. Pixel peeping at 200% or adding light rays, starry filled skies, HDR, or any other digital effect just sucks the magic out of the creative process, imo. Looking at artists such as Dorothea Lange or Fan Ho, no digital camera can ever create the value of photography as an art form like these two masters. Obviously, digital has been more accepted in the art world, if only because not many shoot film anymore. However, the prices of film cameras has skyrocketed recently as I think the throwaway culture has finally realized the importance of film, so there's hope...

darr

It's my humble opinion that shooting film will make you a much better photographer because of the effort it takes to simply understand the basics. The reward of a good exposed image is earned and not produced from countless shutter clicks of a digital camera. Pixel peeping at 200% or adding light rays, starry filled skies, HDR, or any other digital effect just sucks the magic out of the creative process, imo. Looking at artists such as Dorothea Lange or Fan Ho, no digital camera can ever create the value of photography as an art form like these two masters. Obviously, digital has been more accepted in the art world, if only because not many shoot film anymore. However, the prices of film cameras has skyrocketed recently as I think the throwaway culture has finally realized the importance of film, so there's hope...
John so true.

I recently retired from teaching commercial photography at a local tech college. The younger students told me time and time again, if film was the only option for making photography, they would not be interested in it. We live in a time where photography is expected to happen quickly with not much thought or work. I did not blame the students too much for feeling this way, after all, they have never known the joys of photography like we have. Instead, I always felt a tinge of sadness.

Darr

Thorkil

Hi Thorkil,

I have seen someone else mention the film holder you post, but they could not secure one in the US. Do let us know how it all works out.
Wonderful news regarding your PME51!! :clap:

Best to you,
Darr
Hi Darr, and others interested
I have asked Kaiser Fototechnik in Germany about this
and the sales-lady adviced you to contact:
https://kaiserfotous.com/
where you can see the "Compound negative carrier" here:
https://kaiserfotous.com/products/dark-room/enlarger-accessories.html
and
the actual system:
https://kaiserfotous.com/products/dark-room/enlarger-accessories/compound-negative-carrier.html
but remember the masks here:
https://kaiserfotous.com/products/dark-room/enlarger-accessories/format-masks-inserts.html
Dealers:
https://kaiserfotous.com/where-to-buy/dealers
hope this could be at any help
:eek:
Kind Regards Thorkil

Photon42

How about replacement scanner masks? I wonder if Plustek sells them for their OpticScan 120. I bought that scanner 18 months back after the Nikon 8k stopped working. The Plustek masks are quite nice and work without glass.

Qamaro

Let's keep this train rolling along - another from Portugal - sometimes you are driving and light look so good that you have to pull over on the highway to take that shot.

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C-41 | V850 + NLP

Thorkil

Let us know how it goes. KEH often (but certainly not always) sells equipment that's in better condition than one might assume based on their grading. Plus, the reality is that a few scratches on e.g. the front element is rarely the end of the world in terms of image quality. You might be pleasantly surprised!

John
Hi... just received the Hasselblad/Zeiss 110/2 Planar FE from KEH a moment ago - what a speedy delivery to Denmark! - and..I'm really pleasantly surprised, there just some small amount of wear where the hood goes on, some tiny one where fitted to the body, dust outside on glasses disappeared with air-cleaning - so, very very happy here, and happy that I didn't succeeded in my attempt to cancel the order !!
Thanks for encouraging thoughts!
Thorkil