The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Thorkil

..Filmholderwise..I'm preferring the hinged/opening solution, and the relative expensive solution with the scanning-filholder kit including the small fitting lightbox from Kaiser should be on its way.
I also just received the Lomography-ones (digitaliza 120) today,
and ordered the Filmholder 120 from Plustek's OpticFilmscanner 120 which Ivo recommended,
so I should be overloaded with possibility's in a moment or two :)

darr

Rebecca

Hasselblad 500C + 80/2.8C + No Name Slide Film
Alpa TC + SK 120 M + CFV-50c

--

I come across film sometimes in my files with no manufacturer's name or other identification markings.
Shot in 1987, so I am thinking maybe an Agfa variety because Kodak and Fuji has their names running along the border.
For fun I would try cheap film, so who knows?

Hoping you and yours are well,
Darr

dave.gt

Lovely, lovely image, Darr!!!:thumbs:

Thank you for sharing your images especially in these dark times.:)

pfigen

Getting to spend time now going through almost forgotten shoots from years ago. Sometimes revisiting these brings some surprises, like this shot of famed Hammond B3 organist, Brian Auger that I shot in a Venice, Ca. alley in January of 1996 for Mackie, the mixing board company. This was shot on Fuji RFP with a 50mm on an RZ but felt a lot better as a noiré-ish black and white.

Attachments

Shashin

Horseman SW612 with 55mm Grandagon again. Taken from about 9,000 ft/3,000m in the Japanese Alps.

I have been lucky in my photography as no one really pointed out limitations that seem so commonly expressed. For example, I did not know you could not handhold panoramic cameras, see above. I went for medium-format cameras because of the compromise between portability and quality. I could shoot 400 ISO film and still get very good quality and I could still take my cameras anywhere. (4x5 was great quality and had movements, but the weight and problems with handling film seemed too much. I loved 35mm for the size and choice, but with 400 ISO film, the images were just a little lacking. (I stuck to 400 ISO film because I kept shooting under light that no one told me I couldn't shoot under)) Naturally, the formats are what got me. Loved the square and panoramic formats.

While it was hard to move on from the film cameras I had such a relationship with, I have found remarkable flexibility with digital. I am even surprising myself with how good APS-C is. It gives me a quality I find satisfying while presenting a portable and flexible package to photograph with. My X Pro2 kind of gives me a Mamiya 6, Fuji 6x9, and Horseman SW612 rolled into one (and with an optical viewfinder!). One of the first X Pro2 images I took from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine.

Obviously, it is easy to talk about photography in regards to technical criteria. Personally, I don't view images that way. I judge an image based on its inherent qualities as presented. Noise, resolution, or DR does not make it better or worse, just different. I guess I am, in economic terms, an optimizer, rather than a maximizer. I was just at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in Kansas City (now closed due to the coronavirus, but I can highly recommend it if you are in the neighborhood (the museum, not the disease)) and looking at their photography collection, not once did I think about the technical aspects of the work, just whether the image was captivating.

I am enjoying this thread.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Is this the state of the world during the corona pandemic ? ? ? To me it looks like that .

Image shot with FUJI GW III and 90mm lens . Film unknown .

CORONA.jpg

Qamaro

Working my way through dev'ing and scanning my backlog of photos is reminding me of how wonderful our world can be and of better days - this shot of the Algarve coastline - Portugal.

Mamiya 6 | 75mm | Portra 400 | Kodak Flexicolor C-41 | V850 + SilverFast

darr

Georgia On My Mind

Hasselblad 500C + 50/4 C + Ektachrome 100

--

This is for you Dave! (dave.gt) :cool:

I have very happy memories of making this photo. I remember asking my husband to stop the car so I could run across the road, up a hill, and into a pasture. I knew something special was about to happen. This was somewhere between Helen and Marietta and I always enjoyed the drive with so much to see. Back then, we would rent a lovely cabin in Helen for a weekend on special occasions. This is what going through my film archives does for me; showers me with appreciation, gratitude and wonderful memories. I think my son was about four at the time, so maybe this was 1992.

Wishing you and everyone the best always,
Darr

Photon42

Re: Georgia On My Mind

--

I have very happy memories of making this photo. I remember asking my husband to stop the car so I could run across the road, up a hill, and into a pasture. I knew something special was about to happen. This was somewhere between Helen and Marietta and I always enjoyed the drive with so much to see. Back then, we would rent a lovely cabin in Helen for a weekend on special occasions. This is what going through my film archives does for me; showers me with appreciation, gratitude and wonderful memories. I think my son was about four at the time, so maybe this was 1992.

Darr
That looks truly stunning.

dave.gt

Re: Georgia On My Mind

--

Darr
Oh, my, what a beautiful thing to see upon waking this morning! :thumbs: We have spent our entire lives visiting and staying in Helen so this is particularly lovely reminder of all those wonderful daytrips!!!

After a nightmare day yesterday in emergency mode looking an open lab to check my wife's blood thinner (all week,actually), I can't thank you enough for such a calming image that takes me back to better times. Memories are indeed so important!

That is the beauty of photography. That is also the beauty of kind, empathetic people like you who make life better for others. My stress this morning has been reduced this morning to a more manageable level by a simple kindness from you.

I am going to be looking at this image a lot!!! :):):)

The

dave.gt

Unintentional dynamic range test from an old file. Pentax 67, 300mm M*. Seems an apropos image given our current situation.

Tom

IMG1032 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Tom,

I love this!:thumbs:

The color, composition, contrast, everything! Thanks for sharing that as it puts a smile on my face after an incredibly tough week so far. :)

tsjanik

Tom,

I love this!:thumbs:

The color, composition, contrast, everything! Thanks for sharing that as it puts a smile on my face after an incredibly tough week so far. :)
Thanks Dave, that it brings a moment of joy is the best reward from all our photos. We all have tough weeks ahead, but, as in the photo, there will be light on the horizon.

Tom