The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

darr

Rain Lily

Hasselblad 501CM + 120 CFi + TMY2 (Pyrocat HD)
Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss 50/2.8M

--

From my garden a few days ago.
At least we have had a couple days of beautiful weather.
Hoping everyone is doing well.

Darr

tsjanik

I could put this in"Slow Day here", but its a film scan taken at TR National park in 2010, so it's here. I've managed to get my Nikon Coolscan 9000 software and Minolta DSE 5400 software working on Windows 10 - a benefit of social distancing. Pentax 645N, 80-160mm.

Tom

Attachments

Shashin

I could put this in"Slow Day here", but its a film scan taken at TR National park in 2010, so it's here. I've managed to get my Nikon Coolscan 9000 software and Minolta DSE 5400 software working on Windows 10 - a benefit of social distancing. Pentax 645N, 80-160mm.

Tom
So Tom, under this situation, who looks both ways before crossing?

darr

Three Little Indians

Hasselblad 500CM + 150/4 + Tri-X
ALPA TC + SK 120M + CFV-50c

--

My son and two other classmates in their first grade classroom during a Thanksgiving season.
When he was little, I would bring my "big" camera in the classroom and we'd all play and take photos.
I always enjoyed the children's creativity, like their choice of names and constructed costumes in these photos.
Nothing has changed much in my camera bag from then, but I do miss the little ones looking through the camera.

Hope everyone is well,
Darr

darr

Mamiya 6 + 135 Film

MAMIYA 6 + 75/3.5 + Tri-X (Pyrocat HD)
Fuji X-Pro3 + Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 M

35mm Film to 120 Spool Adapter on shapeways.com

--

I bought these 135 film adapters about a year ago and have finally tried them out on my Mamiya 6. It was not an easy use as the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, so I will not be using this setup again with the Mamiya. I have a Hasselblad 16 H magazine I will try next. For anyone interested, I would purchase this set instead, and have already ordered them.

You will need to unload the film in a changing bag or in a darkroom if you decide to try this out, as there is no way to rewind the film in camera. I could not know where it would crop via the viewfinder, so I just centered the flower. You waste a bit of film as it acts as the leader paper like with 120 film. There are hacks around this, and I have clipped off a piece of 135 film to save in case I want to tape it for use as the leader, but honestly, I do not care too much about the extra film. I am so use to shooting 12 frames, I have a checklist in my head when I shoot and do not pull the trigger until I run through it.

I believe I could have had 15 frames, but because the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, I opened the back of the camera a couple of times at the start to check on the alignment, etc. and exposed about a foot of film. Is this something I plan on doing a lot of? No. But there are a few films I want to try with my medium format cameras that do not come in the 120 format, plus I have a freezer full of 135 film that I need to use or get rid off. I choose to shoot it and hope to use some in my Hasselblad and Linhof cameras.

I digitized the image under glass with my X-Pro3 and my way too cheap tracing lightbox. The glass is not anti Newton, just regular glass about 1/4" thick. I find as long as I keep the emulsion side up, I do not experience any issues. The way too cheap lightbox is not good enough, but the Kaiser Slimlite Plano 5000K has been sold out everywhere for a while. Hopefully B&H will get an order in soon and will let me know.

Looking forward to be able to wander around outside my backyard soon!

Best to you,
Darr

Last edited:

Shashin

Re: Mamiya 6 + 135 Film

I bought these 135 film adapters about a year ago and have finally tried them out on my Mamiya 6. It was not an easy use as the winding mechanism was difficult to turn, so I will not be using this setup again with the Mamiya. I have a Hasselblad 16 H magazine I will try next. For anyone interested, I would purchase this set instead, and have already ordered them.

Best to you,
Darr
While designed for the Mamiya 6MF, Mamiya designed a 35mm film panorama adapter with spools, mask, and rewind mechanism. Except for rewinding the film in the camera (which you can do with a 6MF), I believe it would fit in a Mamiya 6. The spools would not bind like that ones you have. It might be worth looking into if you want to do more. The Mamiya 6MF also had marks on the framelines for the panoramic format, so maybe a new camera too?

Just a thought...

darr

While designed for the Mamiya 6MF, Mamiya designed a 35mm film panorama adapter with spools, mask, and rewind mechanism. Except for rewinding the film in the camera, I believe it would fit in a Mamiya 6. The spools would not bind like that ones you have. It might be worth looking into if you want to do more.

Just a thought...
Thanks Will. My Mamiya 6 is the older model, but I will look into it. :)

Darr

PS: No new Mamiya 6, looking at 135 rangefinders (not Leica) at the moment, but I have way too many cameras!!

Shashin

Thanks Will. My Mamiya 6 is the older model, but I will look into it. :)

Darr
Are you talking about the early 20th century folding camera or the late 20th century "New Mamiya 6"? I assume the latter. As I remember (I had both the 6 and 6MF), the film chamber for the 120/220 spools were the same, and Mamiya simply made holders for the 35mm cassettes. The difference in models is that the 6MF had frameline marking and a rewind slot in one of the spool tab/holder things that allowed the film to be rewound. But you can also simply rewind in a darkroom/changing bag with the 6 as you already do.

darr

Are you talking about the early 20th century folding camera or the late 20th century "New Mamiya 6"? I assume the latter. As I remember (I had both the 6 and 6MF), the film chamber for the 120/220 spools were the same, and Mamiya simply made holders for the 35mm cassettes. The difference in models is that the 6MF had frameline marking and a rewind slot in one of the spool tab/holder things that allowed the film to be rewound. But you can also simply rewind in a darkroom/changing bag with the 6 as you already do.
Mine is the "New Mamiya 6", as I did not want the cluttered viewfinder of the 6MF. I never saw through the 6MF viewfinder, but I read about it. I did have the Mamiya 7II and the pano kit that I never used (go figure). Sold it off a few years ago as I just like squares. I have a large changing bag, but if I wait till dark, a spare bathroom in my home makes for a perfect darkroom. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

Shashin

but I have way too many cameras!!
What does this "I have way too many cameras" thing you say mean? That does not compute. I think social isolation has perhaps had a negative impact on your health, no? But you have come to the right place! No one has too many cameras at GetDPI!! Friends don't let friends have too many cameras...

:toocool:

Shashin

Mine is the "New Mamiya 6", as I did not want the cluttered viewfinder of the 6MF. I never saw through the 6MF viewfinder, but I read about it.
No, you have the better model. I did not like the 6MF viewfinder as much. Not only the clutter, but it did not seem as bright. My Mamiya 6 is one camera I could not bring myself to sell--I enjoyed using it so much and it has a lot of memories for me.

darr

What does this "I have way too many cameras" thing you say mean? That does not compute. I think social isolation has perhaps had a negative impact on your health, no? But you have come to the right place! No one has too many cameras at GetDPI!! Friends don't let friends have too many cameras...

:toocool:
:ROTFL:

Yes, all the social isolation has had a negative impact on my health ... all these cameras are staring me down!!