The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

Godfrey

Interesting about the illusion of distortion. Yes, I agree, it's hard to imagine if all the cables are straight, but the eye can do funny things. :)

In copy camera scanning, the specific lens being used is a big influence on the results, combined with how good a match it is to the sensor and everything else really. Every setup returns slightly different results, kind of like scanning with film scanners and flatbed scanners too. Basically, once there with a little experience, you just pick whatever poison tastes good and enjoy it. :D

I've been doing quite a lot of my Polaroid and 6x6 negative scanning with the Hassy 907x in recent weeks. The more experience I get with it, the better the results seem to get. I've got a fairly good feel for the setup and process now, using the Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm. I'm exploring using my Hasselblad V lenses for this purpose too, preliminary results puts them on par or better than the Leica lens in this use.

It's fun stuff... :D

G

dave.gt

Good Morning Dave!

Yes, I am the early riser for sure.
Got use to it when I was a mom + college student + business owner.
The only time of the day I could do my homework was at 4am!
Love hearing the birdies singing at daybreak; absolutely my favorite time of the day. :)

I just ordered the new Ektachrome 100 and look forward to shooting it.
Glad you like the photo and hope it inspires you to shoot wherever you are.

I sold off the Mamiya 7II a few years ago and kind of regret it, but the Mamiya 6 came along and made me feel better.
Take care my friend.

Kind regards,
Darr
At this moment I am listening, as always, to the Mockingbirds sing their morning songs. They have an alarm clock somewhere because they seem to be on time every morning. The dark, still of the night will soon be split by the morning light.

With a cup of coffee in hand, the only thing better would be a tripod setup with MF gear attached on-location, somewhere, listening to the local birds.:)

I am checking the weather forecasts for the next week, looking for the right time to head over to the lake. This morning, I will settle for a few macro images simply because I am unable to leave the house. Film back is ready!:thumbup:

anyone

Norway

scan0006_web.jpg

Hasselblad 500C/M, 250mm SA, Velvia 100, Scan with Nikon Coolscan 8000

A tremendously difficult to use lens. The plane of focus is really small, and if you focus a little past infinity, the image will be soft. There is also no hard infinity stop. For that reason, even though the normal Sonnar is quite a lot worse, I still kept it, because it's easier to get consistent results.

When everything works out, the results are fantastic, but it does require a lot of precision.

ggibson

Here are the lab scans for a couple of these images from my Hasselblad 503cx, shot on Velvia 100F. As I mentioned before, I like prefer the lab scan result for both sharpness and colors, but the difference is not too drastic. I'll note that the difference is more visible on landscape shots like these with large depth of field. Other scans from the lab where I was shooting at f2.8, my A7rII scans were pretty close in terms of resolution.

Also, for this image, I corrected the keystone verticals as discussed earlier and cropped in a bit to eliminate some of the empty space in the sky.

Golden Gate Red by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

A7rII scan (click for larger):

Gateway by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Noritsu Lab scan:

Gateway by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Godfrey

Here are the lab scans ...
Have to say, in general I prefer the Sony scans of these.

I've been doing more of my negative and small polaroid print scanning with the Hasselblad 907x setup now, using the same Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm lens I use with the Leica CL (and before with the Leica SL). The Hassy scans are notable in giving more tonal data compared to the smaller format sensors, which can be important depending upon the negative or print I'm scanning. Detailing between the 24 and 50 Mpixel sensors is close to a wash: It's "measurable but not perceptual" in most cases.

moving off into some ruminations:
Personally, I suspect that somewhere between 24 and 50 Mpixel is the practical limit of small format film resolution anyway. It's what my calculations of "how many pixels do I need in a digital camera?" indicated way back in 1999 when I first started considering what digital capture camera was going to replace my Nikon F3 and Rolleiflex. I can see the need for more pixels if I were making huge prints, bigger than 20x20 inch area, but even that size is a rare occurrence for me. It was when that size and larger wet lab prints were needed that I found the 6x6 cameras essential, 35mm did fine up to 10x15 inch (about 10x magnification) with a good negative.

Nothing has surfaced in the ensuing 20 years of doing digital photography that has changed my thinking, most everything I've seen reinforces those calculations of many years ago. Quality of sensor capture in terms of how many bits per channel tonal resolution, sensor behavior at the saturation limit, low end noise characteristics, and the sensor match to lens optical systems have all proven to be bigger determinants to digital capture image quality than pixel count once past the 10-12 Mpixel range.

We live now in an era of almost unimaginable photographic equipment nirvana compared to 56 years ago when I started doing photography as a kid. :D

G

P. Chong

Dreaming of travel...especially to Tokyo. This was taken several years ago at a train station, I forget which. Late evening. Hasselblad H3D-39 with HCD4/28.

ikebukuru-station-people.jpg

B L

This is one of the few scans I made after a couple of decades. Thanks to Dan Lindburg for the Minolta Scan Multi Pro scanner.
This pic was shot nearly 20 years ago when I visited a close friend Lee,I remember his words that this Harley was an extended model and his price tag was £30000. He sold it to a US buyer a few days after taking this snap.

Scan-200622-0001 2.jpg

dave.gt

This is one of the few scans I made after a couple of decades. Thanks to Dan Lindburg for the Minolta Scan Multi Pro scanner.
This pic was shot nearly 20 years ago when I visited a close friend Lee,I remember his words that this Harley was an extended model and his price tag was £30000. He sold it to a US buyer a few days after taking this snap.

View attachment 150165
Love this!!!!:thumbs:

dave.gt

Coincidentally, I have been dreaming of another motorcycling road trip. It would be possible because social distancing is inherent. Masks and scarves are part of the gear. Camping is wonderful. Meals outdoors are better than a Waffle House. And restrooms....hmmm... well, they present a problem, don't they?:)

If I had a small camperwith plumbing, and with room for a motorcycle, then I believe a road trip would be a great way to "stay at home". :thumbs:

BL, thanks for your scan, it inspires daydreams for me, if nothing else!

B L

Hi Dave, it was a long ago I saw the pic which is now your avatar. I wouldnt mind seeing again. Thanks.

B L

Thanks Dave, Its one of those pics,you see it once and etched permanently in back of your mind. Don Libby showed few with his special effects skills. Ane not too long ago Bill showed one which was a 3D like in desert. Thanks to all. I am more of an admirere of beautifully photographed images but I must admit I am not a good photographer. :eek: We have a great "GetDpi" family of photographers here.:)

pfigen

Dweezil Zappa photographed in Frank's old home studio up on Woodrow Wilson Drive in the Hollywood Hills near MulhollandDweezil_RGB_1500.jpg - now owned by Lady Gaga - with the fire charred Fender Stratocaster given to him by Jimi Hendrix. Shot on an RZ67 with the 37mm fisheye with cross processed C-41.