The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

pfigen

Chris Hillman - bass player for the Byrds, co-founder of the Flying Burrito Brothers, founder of the Desert Rose Band among others - photographed upstairs (backstage) at McCabe's Guitar Shop sometime in the spring of '86 for my last class at Art Center College of Design where I set out to photograph as many musicians as possible. Luckily I was able to get some name people at that point. This would have been with an RB67 and Kodak EPN film with his beautiful post war Gibson SJ-200HillmanMcCabes86_1.jpg

pfigen

Looking For Love in All the Wrong Places. Yep. It's Johnny Lee. Y'know - the one who used to be married to what's her name - the star of Dallas - Charlene Tilton, photographed out at the famous or infamous Vasquez Rocks between L.A and Palmdale, filming location for everything from Star Trek to the Flinstones. This is one that never got used although I did catch Curb Records trying to steal an outtake for a greatest hits release. Made the ****ers pay up. Why in hell did I ever shoot TMY. Worst film Kodak ever made but at least it can be saved in the drum scanner.JohnnyLeeVasquezRocks.jpg

ggibson

~3hr exposure from 9pm to 12pm (ish)

Zeiss 50mm at f4
Kodak Portra 160

This was overexposed quite a bit on film, but post-processing in Lightroom helped to even out exposure and colors. This was shot in April, very few planes were flying at the time, so it's a nice opportunity to get clean star trails from my backyard.

I've had some issues with sky gradients in scanning my two latest rolls of Portra that I had developed recently. You can see a bit of mottling/blotches that look a bit like jpeg compression (visible in the tree shot above too). But it comes from the original RAW. I have tried adjusting my WB and scanning multiple times, but it is visible in a lot of shots from these rolls. You can't really see it in the negative because there's not enough contrast. I will try another light source too, but if anyone else has seen this before or has ideas, I'm trying to figure out whether it's my scanning method, the film, or the developer that's the issue.

Star trails on film by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not an image, but an observation I suspect the regular viewers of this forum will appreciate... I was in Yosemite last week showing some friends the valley for their first time, so it was not a photo expedition for me. Park is reservation entry only, and extremely "open" compared to a normal non-covid summer. A little surprising was the general store, the deli and the Ansel Adams gallery were all open, so we of course went into the gallery to have a look around -- and there sat my surprise. Not only did they have at least 6 different 35mm film offerings available for sale, they had 4 120 options! IIRC, it was Portra 160, T-Max 400, Ilford 400 and Provia. Nothing I recall in chromes however...