The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sliding back adapter to Sinar help

Dukegoulden

Hello,

I recently purchased a sliding back adapter to start venturing into digital with my Sinar (then eventually a tech camera) but I'm not sure how to use it. I purchased it on ebay and the seller told me it was a standard 4x5 mount but I can't figure out how to mount it. The back has a 124mm square mount and the Sinar back has a 122mm opening.

The sliding back is made by Kapture Group if that helps.

If someone knows what camera this is for I would greatly appreciate it, I was under the impression that the backs were a standard size.

Thanks,

Duke
DSC01448.jpg

darr

Hi Duke,

Your Sinar does have an International back, so it should work. I have no experience with Sinar, but below are quick snaps to show how I attach various backs onto my Linhof which also has an International back. Look at the metal clips on your Sinar to see if they slide or move to lock the sliding back once it is in place similar to the Linhof sliding locks.

Kind regards,
Darr

Digitalcameraman

Duke,

I have sold a bunch of Kapture Goup sliding backs for all sorts of 4x5 and strange configurations.

Darr is correct in that your Sinar does have a Universal Graflock back but the Kapture Group Back would need to be that exact configuration to work. KG also made a configuration that had a Sinar 4x5 lens board which fit the Sinar, a Toya Lensboard which fit the Toyo 4x5, a Cambo lens board that fit a 4x5 Cambo, a Cambo 2x3 that fit the Cambo 2x3, a Linhof 4x5 which fit the Linhof 4x5, a Linholdf 679 which fit the Linholf 6x9 and so on.

Keith Huges, the inventor and manufacture of the KG products would simply take a lens board for given manufacture and cut out the center area and attach it to his sliding back. That is how it could then be mounted to any 4x5, 2x3, I even mounted these to microscopes ect this way.

I think you are trying to mount it into the 4x5 Universal Holder, which holds the film?

You need to mount it directly to the frame of the camera and not use the universal back. The Sinar P2 for example had a release at the right top that allowed you to take the ground glass off the frame of the camera, F1, F2, P1, X, P1, P2 all did the same. If that sliding back does indeed fit a Sinar it should fit to the rear or the front just like a lens board. You could test it by taking the lens off and seeing if the outer most plate that is attached to the KG Sliding back is the same exact size of the lens board. If it is, then you should be able to insert the sliding back and close the clip.

This link shows a 4x5 Sinar P2 without a Universal Film Back on it so this is where you mount the sliding back to it.

https://www.keh.com/shop/sinar-4x5-...MIk9Wc2_fG5QIVip-zCh178QS-EAQYAiABEgJS9vD_BwE

It being square means it could be one of any of those cameras listed above.

Toyo is 158mm
Sinar is 139mm
Sinar 2x3 is 123mm
Cambo is 163mm
Cambo 2x3 is 123mm

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Hello,

I recently purchased a sliding back adapter to start venturing into digital with my Sinar (then eventually a tech camera) but I'm not sure how to use it. I purchased it on ebay and the seller told me it was a standard 4x5 mount but I can't figure out how to mount it. The back has a 124mm square mount and the Sinar back has a 122mm opening.

The sliding back is made by Kapture Group if that helps.

If someone knows what camera this is for I would greatly appreciate it, I was under the impression that the backs were a standard size.

Thanks,

Duke
View attachment 144916

Dukegoulden

Thank you, that confirms my suspicion that this was made for a different format, looks like the Cambo 2x3.

Thanks again everyone,

Duke

It being square means it could be one of any of those cameras listed above.

Toyo is 158mm
Sinar is 139mm
Sinar 2x3 is 123mm
Cambo is 163mm
Cambo 2x3 is 123mm

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Alkibiades

Kapture group sliding back for sinar have indeed a simple Sinar lensboard mounted on it in size 141x141 cm.
You mout the sliding back directly to the camera rearstandart. thats all.
if you have camo lensboard mounted on the sliding back so dont worry. you can move the 4 scews that fix the lensboard and change it for a sinar lensboard. you need to cut a rectangle in the center of the lensboard and drill 4 holes for the scews.
Not big deal.
some other producers like arca swiss or linhof have a nicer way for changing the camera system: an adapter system.
The native lensboard is always on and with a adapter it can be used on other systems like sinar. the advantage is also in the fact that you can switch between the different camera systems all the time.