The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to remember shift values

eisbaer

Hi,

as I can enter shift values in C1 when using a TechCam. How do you remember the values you used for a shot? Pencil and Paper? Is there an App for this? Don''t note it all?
How big is the difference in Image Quality if you enter shift values vs. don't enter it?

Thanks for your input
Frank

pegelli

I don't have any shift possibility but when shooting film in the field (M2) I record lens, time, aperture, filters etc. on paper and later add it as keywords to the scanned digital files. I've been thinking about adding it with an EXIF editor but so far haven't taken that step yet.

Alan

Sometimes it's obvious (leveled camera, clear converging lines in scene) and a 1mm sensor-scale grid in Capture One shows the offset from center. Other times I take a zeroed shot for reference.

tcdeveau

It would be nice if manufacturers allowed you to enter the values into the EXIF data via the back. Maybe someday....

mristuccia

Maybe a voice record (or dictation) on mobile phone is the fastest way.

But you gave me an idea.
One can annotate only 4 values: lens, image-progressive-number, horiz-shift (+ or -), vertical-shift (+ or -). One image per line, parameters separated by commas.
Then it will be very easy to develop a small utility which takes those annotations and automatically writes them in an EXIF attribute of the respective files...

Pemihan

I have never done it, hence I don't use that function i C1.

Do you see any improvements using it?

Greg Haag

To show my ignorance here, not only have I never done this, I did not know there was a need to. What does this correct? If the back is rotated into the vertical/portrait position, does the way you enter the XY axis data change?
Thanks,
Greg

Since my original post, I did find this video that gives a very brief description beginning at 1:40, still not sure I fully understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBpJ5lbbk4

Last edited:

algrove

In bad weather instead of bringing out my iphone I use water repellent paper and pen available from B&H.

RiteintheRain

P.S. I also use this to record Frame Averaging image numbers since Phase cannot yet come up with a simple icon to indicate which images have been frame averaged. Plus I can add here # of frames and times, AND of course lens used.

If Phase can do it with focus stacking and other techniques why not Frame Averaging? Are you listening PHASE?

jng

I tether in the field (yes, crazy, I know) so can enter the shift values in C1 as I go along. If I remember, that is. It would be nice to enter this info directly on the back, however, as entering the info on the computer can sometimes involve moving back and forth between tabs.

Keeping track of shift is also useful information for compensating for distortion, assuming the lens corrections are calibrated for shift. I also find it helpful to record shift values as this makes it a bit easier to pair up LCC and image files when processing. I sometimes color code the files on the fly (e.g., green for positive shift and red for negative shift) when I'm too rushed to switch tabs and type in the values.

John

Last edited:

dchew

I've never used the info for anything other than telling all of you how far it was shifted in the Technical Camera Images thread. Most of those are 18mm each way for the two image stitched panos. If it is rise/fall then they are, um, guesses.
:eek:

Dave

alatreille

A clumsy method, but means I have a permanent record.

I've been doing this for 5 years and keep a folder of the photographs saved with each project we've completed.

I for one am hoping with the next firmware update I'll get to punch in the details on my back.

algrove

To add more to the wish list (which I believe we should have had on the Q3) is FL of lens used.

I use 5 lenses and code their use as follows via the only data we can enter to date----f stop.

f10=40mm@f10
f11=70mm@f11 or code as f9 if@ f8
f12=90mm@f11 or code as f13 if@ f8
f14=150mm@f11 or or code as f15 if @f8
f16=210mm@f11 or code as f17 if @f8

Gerd

The data for the XY shift are important for lens correction. The lens correction is always made out of the middle in the standard. If the image is shifted in the XY direction and the objetiv correction is done from the center, it will hurt the image more than it helps.

If I have the GFX on a technical camera I use audio EXIF. You can record directly to the GFX a digital voice message (mpg file) which automatically references the EXIF data in the image. LR can automatically visualize and play these audio files. So you can also listen to his own thoughts - in addition to the technical data - to the RAW file. Unfortunately, C1P can not (yet).

For IQ3 / IQ4 I mostly take photos with a GRIII which I put together with the Phase One RAW files in C1P.

Greeting Gerd

eisbaer

Hi,

thanks a lot to all of you for all your valuable tipps. Its a pity that Phase One doesn't support Exif Data on the Back to Enter Lens and Shift Data... This should be very easy to do. It works with the XT, so the fields should be there... Just the option to enter them.
I opted at the moment of taking a picture of the camera with the scene and shift value and lens with my iPhone.
I guess fastest and easiest method... until Denmark moves...

Frank

Ben730

Hi,

thanks a lot to all of you for all your valuable tipps. Its a pity that Phase One doesn't support Exif Data on the Back to Enter Lens and Shift Data... This should be very easy to do. It works with the XT, so the fields should be there... Just the option to enter them.
... until Denmark moves...

Frank
I don't think P1 will make this possible. They want this advantage only for XT users...

Gerd

What I think at the time ....

In C1 20, the tab Shift is currently missing from the lens corrections. Well it's a beta, but if you think evil, you might suspect that only XT cameras can use the fixes.

Greeting Gerd

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It totally sucks. You should be able to use the IQ UI to enter the lens / aperture and shift values. It's not like it's hard to do compared to say frame averaging ...

mristuccia

Hi everyone,

regarding this theme, does anybody know whether there are dedicated/standard image metadata (EXIF, ...) fields for storing shift and tilt values?
Where does P1 and the XT camera store such kind of info? Which fields does C1 read to get those values from the image raw file?

Thank you in advance.