The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D Using HC Lenses Will Allow Auto Focusing

rollsman44

OK, I am somewhat confused on what I have been reading. For instance: Only the Newer HC lenses with the Firmware 18.0 and above will allow the X1D to AF with the adaptor. Can someone please clarify this for me. I would like to use the HC 80/2.8 with an adaptor on my X1D and with AF. Thanks

Photon42

That is correct - only HC lenses manufactured recently can be updated to the relevant firmware which allows AF on the X1D (all orange dot ones, I think, are safe). I surprised the local Hasselblad dealer in showing him that my ancient Leica S2 had no issues focussing my older HC 100, where as the X1D allows only for MF and, of course, aperture and shutter control. The reason here I think is that the Firmware requires lots of extra data for contrast AF, which does not fit into the Firmware memory of older lenses. HC lenses also do not auto focus on a Leica S, when used in Live View (thus, contrast AF).
Hope that clarifies (may not help, though ...).
For me it was one of numerous reasons to stay with the S system.

rollsman44

That is very helpful. Thank you. I would like to know how accurate the AF is with the Newer Lenses on the X1d Thanks again

bab

That is correct - only HC lenses manufactured recently can be updated to the relevant firmware which allows AF on the X1D (all orange dot ones, I think, are safe). I surprised the local Hasselblad dealer in showing him that my ancient Leica S2 had no issues focussing my older HC 100, where as the X1D allows only for MF and, of course, aperture and shutter control. The reason here I think is that the Firmware requires lots of extra data for contrast AF, which does not fit into the Firmware memory of older lenses. HC lenses also do not auto focus on a Leica S, when used in Live View (thus, contrast AF).
Hope that clarifies (may not help, though ...).
For me it was one of numerous reasons to stay with the S system.
Why H has lots of catching up to do!

P. Chong

Not X1D, but I u sweat and the Fuji GFX H Adapter also work with autofocus on HC lenses. With full aperture and shutter control. Anyone with direct experience can confirm?

I guess if it does, it makes sense *** the HV lenses were actually made by Fuji.

buildbot

Yes. It is just that older lenses cannot be updated to that firmware, because their memory size is insufficient.
I wonder if you can get the electronics board and upgrade the memory with a larger chip...
Not easy, you'd need to desolder the old chip (which is probably surface mount), but probably cheaper than a new HC Orange Dot lens.

Photon42

I wonder if you can get the electronics board and upgrade the memory with a larger chip...
Not easy, you'd need to desolder the old chip (which is probably surface mount), but probably cheaper than a new HC Orange Dot lens.
They don't offer this. I asked. As I am not retired, the time I would have to invest to understand all this would easily pay for a new Orange Dot lens, which, as a bonus, would give us 1/2000s, rather than the relatively poor 1/800. But hey ... where is my Leica S ... :grin:

P. Chong

Sorry for the typos...I found out that the GFX H adapter does not allow autofocus on HC lenses, but full aperture and shutter control as well as EXIF data is recorded.

Not X1D, but I u sweat and the Fuji GFX H Adapter also work with autofocus on HC lenses. With full aperture and shutter control. Anyone with direct experience can confirm?

I guess if it does, it makes sense *** the HV lenses were actually made by Fuji.

Photon42

Sorry for the typos...I found out that the GFX H adapter does not allow autofocus on HC lenses, but full aperture and shutter control as well as EXIF data is recorded.
Not knowing the adapter, it may however depend on the firmware version of the lenses.