The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B&W Filters

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm sometimes not in the best of conditions with my camera gear (rain, dust, jumping over fences, etc). I want to protect my 23HR when I'm not in the most ideal locations with a filter, but I can't figure out of the B+W Extra Wide version is as wide as the Slim/XS-Pro version. I have a B+W 72mm Extra Wide MRC UV filter that I slapped on the lens and it seems that at a 5mm shift, the filter will vignette an extra millimeter. I was first thinking of getting a Heliopan 72-105mm step up ring to mount a B+W 105mm Slim, but I realized that the flange of the step up ring (where the 72mm part of the filter makes a right angle towards the 105mm) might still vignette. I took notice that the flange's tip of the right angle and the lip of the filter's thread are aligned perfectly with the edge of the aperture, I am guessing that the diameter of the flange will remain the same even if I increase the filter thread size to 105mm. I then thought about using a plain ol' Slim MRC on the 72mm front element, but I'm not sure if I would still be better off with an Extra Wide. Any thoughts?

Here's the step up ring.

Thanks!

Andrew

stephengilbert

You might want to check this out: http://www.skgrimes.com/slipon/index.htm

SKGrimes makes an adapter that slips over the outside of a lens barrel, and is held in place by friction between an encircling O-ring and the lens barrel outside surface. They make them to order, so you can get whatever filter size you want. A very well made trick* application.

* An old hot rodder term for a well designed solution.