The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca-Swiss M-Two DSLR maximum weight support

I am interested in adapting a heavy (4.3 kg / 9.5 lbs) and large industrial digital camera to a billows system. The weight and size of the system means that there's too much torque to support the camera at it's front, and it needs to be supported near the base at the camera plate. I want a billows system because 1) the sensor on the camera is small enough to allow significant movements even with a 35mm format lens; and 2) the sensor distance to front plate of camera (9.5 mm) are not standard, and a billows seems like the easiest way to adapt various lenses for focus near infinity while also providing significant movement. Of note, the lens mount is removable, so I'd probably build a small plate that permanently affixes the billows to the industrial camera.

The Arca-Swiss M-Two DSLR is advertised as a heavy-duty system, but I have found no examples of people abusing it with so much weight. Does anyone that owns it think it could support 4.3 kg/9.5 lbs? Better yet, has anyone tested it with a similar weight? At some point I imagine the rear "function carrier" must drift. I am just hoping to determine whether it's even worth hunting down a system to test it.

If the guidance here is that it probably wouldn't handle that weight, then I would probably just have all of the movements on the front standard, and keeping the heavy camera static, but I could explore building my own with linear actuators and goniometers, but that's really not my background, and I have never been very patient with parts not mating well.

Thank you for any guidance or best guesses. Also, if there are other systems that could do what I want, I am open to hearing about those as well.

Alkibiades

I dont see any problems with such weight. the camera can be build to 8x10 camera very easy and the big 8x10
equipment weight more that 4 kg.