The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do the IQ CMOS backs stand up in a studio?

Massive Si

I have an IQ3 50
I use it almost exclusively for landscape work, but I have been asked to do a studio session for a fine art model shoot.

I've done such shoots before, but not with a CMOS back. Does anyone here use such a back for fashion/beauty etc? How does it hold up and is there anything special I need to be aware of?

I'll be running tethered to C1

thanks

Greg Haag

Not positive I understand your question, but here's my feedback. Based on my experience, CMOS back not an issue at all. Here is a shot with Hasselblad H6D with HC100mm lens. I currently shoot with the IQ3 100 and I think it would be a great back for that type of work. I shoot an X-rite color checker for my lighting setup then create a profile, I find I am more pleased with the skin tones this way. I apologize if I am not answering your question.
Good Luck,
Greg

P.S. I apologize for the BW image, it was the only one I had already uploaded to the forum.

IMG_0677.JPG

I have an IQ3 50
I use it almost exclusively for landscape work, but I have been asked to do a studio session for a fine art model shoot.

I've done such shoots before, but not with a CMOS back. Does anyone here use such a back for fashion/beauty etc? How does it hold up and is there anything special I need to be aware of?

thanks

Massive Si

thanks for that

sorry if my question wasnt clear.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone switched from CCD to CMOS in the studio and noticed any difference in look or workflow, in particular with people rather than products

Greg Haag

thanks for that

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone switched from CCD to CMOS in the studio and noticed any difference in look or workflow, in particular with people rather than products
I still have my H4D with the CCD sensor, I prefer the look straight out of camera of the H4D vs the H6D but once I adjusted I think you can wind up with very similar finished product with either camera.

kdphotography

thanks for that

I guess you can say I've had a "few" CCD MFDBs :loco: and have migrated to the CMOS MFDBs (IQ3100 -->IQ4150).

My portrait workflow in studio and on location using Capture One Pro has not changed at all. On location, CMOS MFDBs have increased the portrait time window with their better higher ISO performance, and it is also easier to balance studio lights outdoors with ambient for longer periods of time. Improvements to the camera body, in particular, the Phase XF makes workflow smooth and easy. Built-in Profoto Air and leaf shutter lenses---awesome. Excellent AF performance and AFr as an option---awesome.

Ken

In terms of CCD, I've only worked with H4D and H3D files; then i had an H6D, and now the Phase XF — i've not noticed that any of my processes or workflow change due to the sensor technology.

B9053163.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have an IQ3 50

thanks
I switched from CCD to CMOS, but don't do studio portraiture. This guy, however, went from the CCD Leica S(006) to CMOS S(007), SL, and SL2 with no complaints. Not MFDB, but perhaps relevant.

Matt

PeterA

I switched from CCD to CMOS, but don't do studio portraiture. This guy, however, went from the CCD Leica S(006) to CMOS S(007), SL, and SL2 with no complaints. Not MFDB, but perhaps relevant.

Matt
Thanks for posting the link Matt - absolutely loved his Graflex shots.

Pete

PeterA

The Danny DeVito is stunning!
I like his graflex work focus roll off is so beautiful - the larger surface area of the film and what that delivers in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing - is hard to match with digi cameras.

Pelorus

Matt
Thanks for that link Matt, his work is amazing. I just struggle with the ring light eye catch in many of his portraits...