The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 Remote Release

ihdap

He guys,

just got an IQ3 for my Arca.
I would like to explore the electronic shutter.
Is there a way to use an external remote release to trigger the shutter?
I don´t want to rely on the self-timer or use an iphone.

Any idea

eisbaer

Why don’t you want to use the self timer? I use it all the time with ES works great, never fails.

Frank

Steve Hendrix

He guys,

just got an IQ3 for my Arca.
I would like to explore the electronic shutter.
Is there a way to use an external remote release to trigger the shutter?
I don´t want to rely on the self-timer or use an iphone.

Any idea

You would need this:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/hahnel-remote-shutter-release-for-xf/

I concur with the previous posts about using the Self Timer or Capture Pilot via iPhone/iPad, but I also understand some people don't want to depend on their iPhone or deal with that while shooting, or don't want to tap the screen (even with a self timer). Some simply like the tactile feel of a remote cable release, or have a timing situation where they feel the remote cable release would feel better to them with.

3 different ways to shoot ES, all have their uses.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Reactions: med

JohnL

Myself, I prefer to use a wired shutter release with my IQ3100. I can capture peak wave action and such more precisely than tapping the LCD or a connected phone. I use my old multi-connector to mini jack adapter with a older Canon Rebel cable release. If the newer Phase One Electronic Shutter (ES) Cable Release Adapter has a 2.5 mm jack, it might be able to be used as well with the Canon Rebel cable release.

jng

I generally use the release on the back with a 3 second delay. However there are situations where I prefer to use a cable release, for example when timing is critical or I'm standing in front of the camera while shading the sun from the lens.

If you already happen to have the 8-pin->2.5mm female mini-jack "pig tail" adapter (Phase part # 50300144), as mentioned above a simple and inexpensive wired remote with a 2.5mm male mini-jack plug will work (just look online and find one that's compatible with Canon Rebel). Below is what I currently use. However if you don't already own the 8-pin adapter, the Hahnel remote release as recommended by Steve would be the less expensive and more elegant option ($99 vs. $118 for the pig tail + ~$10 for the release).

John

EDIT: At least from the pictures on the Digitalback.com website, it looks like the Hahnel release that Steve recommends has the 12-pin plug for the IQ4, which is *not* compatible with the IQ3 100's 8-pin port. Steve can you please clarify?

IMG_6964.JPG

ihdap

Thanks for all the great answers.

I am an architectural / industrial photographer and quite often I need people at the perfect place and right moment in the foreground. A timer would not allow me the control I need.
Second, I do not use an Iphone!

http://pwvoigt.photography

I tried the Hahnel release. It does not work on the IQ3.

Thank you John for your suggestion! Thats exactly what I hoped to find.
Will order one today.

Best Peter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You would need this:

https://www.digitalback.com/product/hahnel-remote-shutter-release-for-xf/

I concur with the previous posts about using the Self Timer or Capture Pilot via iPhone/iPad, but I also understand some people don't want to depend on their iPhone or deal with that while shooting, or don't want to tap the screen (even with a self timer). Some simply like the tactile feel of a remote cable release, or have a timing situation where they feel the remote cable release would feel better to them with.

3 different ways to shoot ES, all have their uses.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve, don’t forgot about the required 8-pin to 12-pin adapter since the OP is using an IQ3 rather than an IQ4.

https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/product/electronic-shutter-es-cable-release-adapter/

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks for all the great answers.

I am an architectural / industrial photographer and quite often I need people at the perfect place and right moment in the foreground. A timer would not allow me the control I need.
Second, I do not use an Iphone!

http://pwvoigt.photography

I tried the Hahnel release. It does not work on the IQ3.

Thank you John for your suggestion! Thats exactly what I hoped to find.
Will order one today.

Best Peter
Peter,

Your website is impressive and beautiful!

Matt

JohnL

I did have black duct tape on mine, but switched to black shrink irrigation tubing from the hardware store to keep them together. Now they look like an OEM integrated unit. :grin:

da_eltsch

What can I say? Old thread but just solved a question that came to my mind this morning ...
This makes for me this forum so valuable

Thank you,
Helge

I use the Phase One Electronic Shutter Cable Release Adapter with the old coiled Phase One / Mamiya electromagnetic cable release. Love the old scool feel of the coiled cable :)

The red gaffers tape is used to hold make the adapter and cable stay together and the other is just my OCD marking all my cables and stuff.