The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Profoto A1 with Phase One XF

This may be a simpleton question; Are there any issues using a Profoto A1, which are TTL dedicated to certain DSLR’s such as Nikon, with the Profoto Air system built into the XF?

I ask, because in a recent Phase One YouTube video an XF is triggering an A1. Logical I can kind of understand the systems “talking” in a manual/triggering sense, but if the receiving A1 is configured for Nikon TTL would there be any issues? Wondering if I could use an A1 on a separate Group as a fill light.

erlingmm

This may be a simpleton question; Are there any issues using a Profoto A1, which are TTL dedicated to certain DSLR’s such as Nikon, with the Profoto Air system built into the XF?

I ask, because in a recent Phase One YouTube video an XF is triggering an A1. Logical I can kind of understand the systems “talking” in a manual/triggering sense, but if the receiving A1 is configured for Nikon TTL would there be any issues? Wondering if I could use an A1 on a separate Group as a fill light.
I have the Nikon version of the A1s. No problems from XF.

RobbieAB

As my understanding of the marketing material is an XF has a built in airTTL controller, I would expect it to get full TTL capability with any airTTL flash. The Profoto A1 is an airTTL flash, with different options for the built in airTTL controller which would need to talk to the camera.

So yeah, I would assume the XF can control any A1 using the radio link instead of hotshoe communication.

RobbieAB

This article from Capture Integration explains that the Phase One XF body would only fire with a Nikon Air Transceiver.

https://captureintegration.com/profoto-a1-ttl-for-phase-one-xf-is-here/
the article said:
The Profoto Air sync and TTL technology is not new. However, in the past the Phase One XF body would only fire with a Nikon Air Transceiver. If you owned a Canon body, you needed to have both a Nikon (for XF) and a Canon Transceiver to sync your strobes. With the new A1, we are using the built in Air system to send the signals to the studio light. Therefore, it doesn’t matter whether your A1 is for Canon, Nikon, or Sony; all will work with the Phase One XF Camera.
So it works pretty much exactly how I would have imagined... It doesn't use the connector pins for communication, it uses the radio system.

kdphotography

Did I miss something? The CI article says the XF using its built-in Profoto Air transmitter will trigger any version of the Profoto A1.

Not a fan of all the TTL stuff, including the A1 and OCF line. But I do like the built-in Profoto Air on the XF.

ken

Eh, Robbie typing at the same time ;)

Ben730

James
There is one thing I don't like when working with the A1 on the XF.
The AF assist light has to be set manually on and off.
With the Nikons it works how it should, automatic.
This is a big bummer for me because the XF assist light is white and very disturbing for people (not red crossed as the A1).

Regards,
Ben