The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format slides to digital

darr

Darlene: Could you please tell me what lens you used on your X-Pro3 copying set-up? Thanks.
Hi Phil,
I use the Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 macro.

Someone asked me why that lens and not the Fuji 60/2.4 macro, and simply bc when I was looking for a used macro, the Zeiss was available at a fair price and the 60 was not. I rented the 60 and would have been just as happy. Both lenses do what they need to do IMO.

Kind regards,
Darr

Lockdown also means I can find time for experimenting and looking at new ideas, applications and solutions. Yesterday I was scanning some Super 35 cine film with an iXM-MV 150F with a Blue Ring 120mm macro and all the extension tubes I could find. Result is just over 10,000ppi and I can recognise George Clooney’s face! I can also see how poor was the focus on much of the frames :facesmack:
Yair, how do you find the performance of the 120 BR with such an amount of extension?

Since you’re using the IXM-MV-150F camera, wouldn’t it be the more obvious choice to use the Linos 105mm Float that is available for this industrial camera?

-Dominique

yaya

Yair, how do you find the performance of the 120 BR with such an amount of extension?

Since you’re using the IXM-MV-150F camera, wouldn’t it be the more obvious choice to use the Linos 105mm Float that is available for this industrial camera?

-Dominique
Thanks Dominique,

Since I was just experimenting with some workflows the lens was not the main thing although the 120mm performs really well and is rather flexible. Worth noting that most subject matters of these small formats (especially cine film) are typically poorly focused etc. So the quality of the original isn’t great anyway.
For aerial film, microfilm or microfiche I would recommend one of the Linos 105s like the x76 one: https://industrial.phaseone.com/MV-Linos-105mm.aspx

BR
Yair

Thanks Dominique,

Since I was just experimenting with some workflows the lens was not the main thing although the 120mm performs really well and is rather flexible. Worth noting that most subject matters of these small formats (especially cine film) are typically poorly focused etc. So the quality of the original isn’t great anyway.
For aerial film, microfilm or microfiche I would recommend one of the Linos 105s like the x76 one: https://industrial.phaseone.com/MV-Linos-105mm.aspx

BR
Yair
I agree that digitizing 35mm cine film at over 10,000 ppi is certainly overkill if you’re looking for actual image detail. However, if you want to make a very large print from one of those frames a high-resolution scanning process helps to fill the large print with real analog grain structure which can be more appealing than a blurry image with blurry grain structure from a lower res scan.
The MV Linos 105mm x0,76 is probably even better than the 105mm float at its designated magnification range. But I think the 105mm float is more flexible when you intend to digitize a wider range of formats with a single lens setup. In 2017 Qioptiq released that float lens without the gearing under their Rodenstock Photo Optics brand as the HR 105mm Macro with the orange ring and also made the Alpa Switar version with the gold ring.

-Dominique

yaya

I agree that digitizing 35mm cine film at over 10,000 ppi is certainly overkill if you’re looking for actual image detail. However, if you want to make a very large print from one of those frames a high-resolution scanning process helps to fill the large print with real analog grain structure which can be more appealing than a blurry image with blurry grain structure from a lower res scan.
The MV Linos 105mm x0,76 is probably even better than the 105mm float at its designated magnification range. But I think the 105mm float is more flexible when you intend to digitize a wider range of formats with a single lens setup. In 2017 Qioptiq released that float lens without the gearing under their Rodenstock Photo Optics brand as the HR 105mm Macro with the orange ring and also made the Alpa Switar version with the gold ring.

-Dominique
Another application which is on a growing path is 4k, 8k and soon enough 12k displays and projectors, so capturing at 14k, as you say, will ensure that the analogue grain structure and look, as well as the overall look are preserved. Se DFT as an example, albeit that it is used on 65mm IMAX film...

BR
Yair