The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Aperture Only Mount

ericstaud

Has anyone bought one of these a la carte yet? I'm curious about the pricing and availability. I have a lens I need to send to SK grimes to have mounted in a copal zero shutter and want to consider the aperture only route in case it turns out to be cost effective.

Pemihan

Has anyone bought one of these a la carte yet? I'm curious about the pricing and availability. I have a lens I need to send to SK grimes to have mounted in a copal zero shutter and want to consider the aperture only route in case it turns out to be cost effective.
I got a quote from Rodenstock for having a bare lens mounted in aperture mount - Euro 1,000
Obvious that is including the labor, what the cost of the aperture mount itself is I don't know

Peter

ericstaud

I believe it will be in the 2K US range, once you consider in Shipping and Insurance.

Paul C
Ugh. Seems a little nuts that they would charge that much.

Earlier this year I sent the glass from a 73mm Apo-Digitar along with a copal 0 shutter to S.K. Grimes to be mounted. The charge was $58.00. If they had needed to engrave a new aperture scale it would have been another $70.00.

I have 47mm and 120mm Digitars which both need mounting, one of them isn't in a shutter.

Copal 0 shutters can be bought on ebay for under $200. I was hoping the Rodenstock aperture mount would be $200-300, so I could consider going that route instead of buying up used Copals.

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Ugh. Seems a little nuts that they would charge that much.

Earlier this year I sent the glass from a 73mm Apo-Digitar along with a copal 0 shutter to S.K. Grimes to be mounted. The charge was $58.00. If they had needed to engrave a new aperture scale it would have been another $70.00.

I have 47mm and 120mm Digitars which both need mounting, one of them isn't in a shutter.

Copal 0 shutters can be bought on ebay for under $200. I was hoping the Rodenstock aperture mount would be $200-300, so I could consider going that route instead of buying up used Copals.
Eric -

To be a bit more precise, the cost for mounting an existing lens into Aperture Mount ranges from around $1,450 - $1,700, depending on the host manufacturer (Arca, Alpa, Cambo), shipping charges, etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

ericstaud

Eric -

To be a bit more precise, the cost for mounting an existing lens into Aperture Mount ranges from around $1,450 - $1,700, depending on manufacturer, shipping charges, etc.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks Steve, that's great to know. I've been shopping for digital Rodenstock and Schneider lenses and find some for a great price but in the wrong mounts. Do the lens go to Europe for this process? Is it possible to buy the aperture only mount a la carte and have a company like SK grimes mount the elements? Just curious, thanks.

Paul2660

Not to speak for Steve, but I have checked on this.

Lens goes back to Rodenstock, has to be mounted into the aperture only by them and then re-aligned. I was told that Rodenstock will not be allowing a third party to do this process at least for the near term.

BTW, I was close at 2K, as I figure most of the lenses out there will be on the higher side.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, that's great to know. I've been shopping for digital Rodenstock and Schneider lenses and find some for a great price but in the wrong mounts. Do the lens go to Europe for this process? Is it possible to buy the aperture only mount a la carte and have a company like SK grimes mount the elements? Just curious, thanks.

Paul, thanks for chiming in.

The Rodenstock lenses, in particular, are more complex than Schneider lenses (in terms of the mounting). As in, even where the front and rear optics end up in the rotational pathway relative to each other as they are tightened. Wouldn't be impossible for 3rd party, but not so simple either.

Steve Hendrix/CI

ericstaud

Not to speak for Steve, but I have checked on this.

Lens goes back to Rodenstock, has to be mounted into the aperture only by them and then re-aligned. I was told that Rodenstock will not be allowing a third party to do this process at least for the near term.

BTW, I was close at 2K, as I figure most of the lenses out there will be on the higher side.

Paul C
Thanks Paul. I can see if they sold the mount a la carte it could turn into a customer service nightmare of people having lenses that won't focus properly and not understing why. I have a 47mm apo-digitar which looks terrible on the copal 0 mount I had laying around. When I unscrew the front of the lens about 1 full rotation it looks great. I'm sending to SK Grimes to be proplerly shimmed and to adjust the f-stop scale.

ericstaud

Paul, thanks for chiming in.

The Rodenstock lenses, in particular, are more complex than Schneider lenses (in terms of the mounting). As in, even where the front and rear optics end up in the rotational pathway relative to each other as they are tightened. Wouldn't be impossible for 3rd party, but not so simple either.

Steve Hendrix/CI
That's a pretty complex mating ritual. Sounds like a major selling point for the Rodenstock aperture only mounts is a higher likelyhood of optimal lens performance.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The new „mount“ looks and feels stunning. Much better than the old helicon mounts.
Indeed, between this and the Phase One X-Shutter we finally have fully modern lens mount options for digital large format!

In related news the Rodenstock eShutter was formally and completely discontinued (in both the Sinar and Rodenstock branding and in both the 125th and 250th versions).

The 2020s belong to the Aperture Only mount and Phase One X-Shutter.

Paul2660

The way it’s going with firmware fixes for problems and issues with the 4150 odds are starting to look like it will take a 5150 to fix things. Things like:

IMAGES BEING CROPPED FROM FULL SIZE WITH ES
No adhoc WiFi
No Capture Pilot
Inaccurate battery level reporting
Lack of crisp live view
Screen blooming with non exposure simulation live view
3/4 to 1 stop under exposure with exposure simulation live view
lock ups and hangs requiring power off cycle
Message stating “no images” every time you turn off the back

There are more but let’s get these addressed.

Paul C

TheDude

dougpeterson;806743In related news the Rodenstock eShutter was formally and completely discontinued[/QUOTE said:
I was also told that Rodenstock now has run out of COPAL shutter.

So both, eShutter and Copal, are no longer available from the factory!

Now only "aperture only" shutter in combination with electronic shutter or lens cap. (Ignoring P1 X-shutter since being a speciality item.)

Is it me, are I am turning into a grumpy old man?

Last edited:

TheDude

IMAGES BEING CROPPED FROM FULL SIZE WITH ES
No adhoc WiFi
No Capture Pilot
Inaccurate battery level reporting
Lack of crisp live view
Screen blooming with non exposure simulation live view
3/4 to 1 stop under exposure with exposure simulation live view
lock ups and hangs requiring power off cycle
Message stating “no images” every time you turn off the back

There are more ...