The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock Aperture Only Mount

Christopher

The way it’s going with firmware fixes for problems and issues with the 4150 odds are starting to look like it will take a 5150 to fix things. Things like:

IMAGES BEING CROPPED FROM FULL SIZE WITH ES
No adhoc WiFi
No Capture Pilot
Inaccurate battery level reporting
Lack of crisp live view
Screen blooming with non exposure simulation live view
3/4 to 1 stop under exposure with exposure simulation live view
lock ups and hangs requiring power off cycle
Message stating “no images” every time you turn off the back

There are more but let’s get these addressed.

Paul C
+ Hard button only change iso on tech camera
+ ages since last XF firmware update
+ no new IQ4 update in quite a while
+ last C1 update just ignores Beta reports and actually come out without full tangent support.... :mad:

Christopher

I wonder how much support a Kickstarter would get for a wireless Copal replacement controlled via a smartphone?
It depends for what. I don't need flash, so I only need a good ES shutter. This is provided from the IQ3100 onwards. In a few years there will be a global shutter and any mechanical piece just a unusned object.

Pelorus

I sort of feel like a few companies have dropped the ball here.

It's maybe as long as 10 years since we had the first news that Copal was coming to an end. Since then we've seen the, now defunct, Rodie/Sinar "eShutter" which was clearly doomed. I'm told by good sources that it was difficult to keep them operating in any sort of working environment.

So what are we left with? Schneider has gone, Rodie are trying, along with Alpa and others, to convince us that dog sh***t is good for our skin - that is that the lenses in aperture unit are a decent solution. Well they aren't! If you have a perfectly good MFDB that's even a generation old they aren't a solution. And in any event a "sensor-based shutter" will never be an all round solution for me. The places it can't do the job are more important than the places it can do the job.

Then we come to Phase One and the XT. Well the XT is OK if you have around AUD$75,000 for a dysfunctional IQ4150...and the cash for a few lenses...let's just round that out to AUD$100K. For the vast majority of photographers - whether they make money from their craft or not - it's not a solution. Even if the technology is licensed and someone cooks up an Alpa Silex-like controller it will still amount to a poisonously expensive solution.

For me and my tech cam with Copal shutters it's like having a very old and frail parent (which I also have): I go to bed hoping the shutter still works in the morning.

Not much of a solution in that lot for "every-man" or "every-woman".

So that brings us to the topic for another day. Whilst the GFX cameras are not in the same league as a thumping big MFDB...they are close enough that for the vast majority it doesn't matter. Movements are difficult, again for many it won't matter. If I was Phase One I'd be feeling a very chill Nordic breeze blowing around my ankles. The profit is in the marginal volume and someone in Japan is stealing the marginal volume.

<\endrant>

TheDude

with Copal shutters it's like having a very old and frail parent ... I go to bed hoping the shutter still works in the morning.
Copal shutters are regarded as very reliable. Never had a Copal shutter yet fail on me except when I dropped one into a pond, shutter stopped working but aperture was OK (got it fixed). Know one case where the Copal shutter on a heavily used mid 70s lens was 1/2 stop off before it got readjusted. Probably also easy to repair.

Agree with everything else.

Last edited: